First DSLR, Pentax, Canon or Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

eone8

Jun 23, 2007
Hi,
I am thinking of getting my first DSLR, the choices are Pentax K20D for its weatherproofing, Canon 40D or wait till Nikon D90.

Any comment?

Look at the lens lineup as well. Generally Pentax lenses are more affordably and reasonably priced. I also started with the Nikon or Canon Question when I wanted to buy my first DSLR. Almost got a D40 that time until I did rather extensive research - and it was a point of no return for going into PEntax. <:

Last edited:
Hi eone8

The camera brands mentioned have extensive lineup of lens and accessories that should meet your shooting needs.

After doing your extensive reading on their specs, might be a good opportunity to have some hands on action to try them out, the handling and feel. I cannot help on the D90. Dunno when it is coming out.

Ryan

Hi,
I am thinking of getting my first DSLR, the choices are Pentax K20D for its weatherproofing, Canon 40D or wait till Nikon D90.

Any comment?

get feel for every camera. i think handling is far more important than specs or noise control or whatever. if you like the way the camera handles then you will use it, otherwise you won't.

just as a point to note, you can get weatherproofing on the k20d, but doesn't mean you can go shooting in the rain unless you get a waethersealed lens too :bsmilie:

Pick up a Pentax and you'll immediately know it has a nice solid feel and the ergonomics is good. No dinky lightweight plastic plus excellent value for money. It used to be the case that lenses were difficult to find but it is definitely not an issue now. Plus it has all those yummy pancake prime lenses... and in-built shake reduction is a big plus.

All cams listed are great cameras, no doubt. You won't go wrong getting either. However, if you wish to spend more and get a better lens from day one, then I'd recommend the 40D since the price just dropped to a very affordable $1320 (i'm not sure of the K20D's price). And also Canon has the largest lens collection so you'll definitely find the lens you need :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Any comment?

when do u plan to get it? is price an issue?

if Nikon D90 comes out, most likely u have to pay near the recommended retail price. but if u are willing to wait, most prob u can save a couple of hundred bucks for waiting a few months (that is if, u don't mind waiting). of coz one can argue that a few months later some other models comes out. let's just leave this aside and focus on the 3 models u said.

if i plan to get it soon, i'll go for Canon 40D. I do so becoz we have many Canon users in here and Canon customer service is really gd (my experience). Personally been using Canon for some time, I do know what to expect from a Canon dSLR. Pentax wise, i don't really know as i nv own one b4 (less compacts).

go to the shop and try out both models.

I'm a newbie too. Have much deliberation, i chose Canon D450 (instead of D40) eventually...cos cheaper to start (just in case I lose interest too quickly). No regret so far, except that I find D450 a bit light (but my wife like it). Attended a free training by Canon last week and it looks like the D40-ers are very happy with their DSLRs.

I'm a newbie too. Have much deliberation, i chose Canon D450 (instead of D40) eventually...cos cheaper to start (just in case I lose interest too quickly). No regret so far, except that I find D450 a bit light (but my wife like it). Attended a free training by Canon last week and it looks like the D40-ers are very happy with their DSLRs.

Hi Ken,

EOS 450D is a very good entry level. Those I don't own one but has played with my organisation one a little. And I like it. :D

Given the 3, I would either go for the Pentax or the Nikon. But that's just me, perhaps you would like to get a feel of the K20D to see if you feel comfortable with it.

Go for Canon. It does provide a very reasonable kits for beginner and new starters. The 40D is a good choice as the price has fallen now with the recent price cut.

It is important to note that the lens is also as important as your body(budget permitting, of course). Therefore, i only recommend the big players which is Canon and Nikon due to their professional and R&D proven L and best Nikkor lens. The other players cannot match up to this with their bodies and lenses , which is why you see majority of the professionals only using this 2 brands.

Last edited:
Go for Canon. It does provide a very reasonable kits for beginner and new starters. The 40D is a good choice as the price has fallen now with the recent price cut.

It is important to note that the lens is also as important as your body(budget permitting, of course). Therefore, i only recommend the big players which is Canon and Nikon due to their professional and R&D proven L and best Nikkor lens. The other players cannot match up to this with their bodies and lenses , which is why you see majority of the professionals only using this 2 brands.

But.. but.. but.. does the chap want or need pro lenses in the first place? They're very expensive. Too costly for most hobbyists in fact. Of cos, if he can afford and don't mind, it's a different story.

So choosing C and N mainly because of their pro lenses is not very sound, unless you plan to go pro / can afford them / don't mind the premium. (Note: Am not saying you can't choose C n N. Of cos you can, for many good reasons. What i mean here is, this is not a good reason. :p)

We can cite C n N's widest range of lenses as a reason to go with them, but not really the fact that their pro lenses are the best (this is open to debate anyway, but here, I'll play along and say, ok they are the best).

Cheers!

Last edited:
hi there, other then the 3 yoou mention.
why don't try olympus E-520 or the higher E-3,
try nikon D80 or the higher D300 if you can go higher D700
or try alpha a350 or the higher a700.

i personally using a700 just for your info.
when i just started, i only want nikon and never cannon, but i still end up with alpha. haha......:sweat:

Go down to a shop and try using those cams? fiddle around and get a feel.

If you really want to start shooting, I'm not sure how long will D90 delay you.

P,C,N and even Sony aren't bad. Just take some lens with similar specs, then compare their prices, so you know the relative affordability.

Hi,

Any comment?

I recommend you get the Nikon D3 or Canon 1DsMkIII. The weatherproofing on these 2 cams are even better.

Why not get the A700? I've been stuck in monsoon rains with it and it hasn't failed me ever.

Stick to Nokia N95 - can make calls too.

...Cant help it gosh, its been the ___th similar thread...

Last edited:
I recommend you get the Nikon D3 or Canon 1DsMkIII. The weatherproofing on these 2 cams are even better.

Lol, TS dont have that budget :bsmilie:

Personally the issue of weather proofing is over rated. Ask yourself how often do you continue to shoot in the rain. Do you subject your camera to rough treatment w/o "heartache". If you do, by all means get one with weather proofing.

I would choose the camera based on affordability, choice of lenses, upgradability, handling and ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.