First DSLR - Does variety of lens matters?

SkyStrike

Staff member
Nov 29, 2010
Somewhere
Hi CSers, I am thinking of getting my first DSLR. I've actually got my sights on Pentax K-R Dual Kit (18-55, 50-200) (Seems good value for money to me @ $1060). But was advised to get other brands like Canon, Nikon, Sony as these other brands have better variety of lens.

Thou I read the following paragraph from the sticky: "FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?"
"Buy Brand X or Brand Y, they have the most lenses!" Well yes, sure, they may have 500+ lenses to choose from. But realistically, you will most likely only ever use 2-5 lenses, and all brands cover this range. So what if Toyota makes 200 different models of cars when you want to buy an Audi, right?

But does the variety of lens really matter that much?

Thanks

to me, as long as that specific brand got the lenses to cater my different shooting styles, i'm fine with whichever brand :bsmilie:

I would consider the amount of 3rd party alternatives i can turn to.

Actually, because I'm very new to photography, I don't think I can pin down what lens do I actually need. Thou I do have interest in taking night scenery/shots.

Hi, welcome to CS . . . ;)

Whichever brand you getting will depend on yourself actually . . . i will suggest that you look at your own budget and look at the options (cameras) that you can acquire. Google for reviews, etc and make your comparison. :)

Bear in mind that you may look at other accessories for your hobby such as :
1 dry cabinet
2 Camera Bag
3 Tripod
4 etc

As for variety of lenses, for me it is important, as i can choose from a variety of lens to suit my photography style. ;)

Hi CSers, I am thinking of getting my first DSLR. I've actually got my sights on Pentax K-R Dual Kit (18-55, 50-200) (Seems good value for money to me @ $1060). But was advised to get other brands like Canon, Nikon, Sony as these other brands have better variety of lens.

Thou I read the following paragraph from the sticky: "FAQ: What DSLR camera to buy?"

Thanks

I guess more lens choices is better. However, if the brand can offer you the lens variety that you most likely need, then go for it. K-R looks like a good deal. Just be comfy with the cam that you choose, that's all. :)

Other brand may have more lens line up. but will you buy all of them? Look at Pentax's variety of lens and the 3rd party alternatives. if they can fit you bill, your are fine with pentax..

My view is as long as the brand have the necessary top tier lens for you to grow into, you will be alright. So Pentax is fine.:)

Happy shooting!

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Will give it some more thoughts before finalizing.

Lens variety matters. But most camera systems have a good variety.

Good quality fast lenses can be more expensive though. Fast lenses (with low apertures) should help in low-light shots.

Actually, because I'm very new to photography, I don't think I can pin down what lens do I actually need. Thou I do have interest in taking night scenery/shots.

You can do this with a kit lens.

Thanks

I would say Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony/Panasonic all have pretty good lenses for most applications.
Since you are not fixed on a particular lens or set of lenses, I would suggest you to try out the different cameras in your hand. The feel of the cameras matters a lot IMO. You have to comfortable with the weight, build and positioning of buttons.
Pentax cameras might feel small for people with bear paws, while the bigger Nikons would feel large and heavy for people with small hands. It is all a matter of choice.
Try out the cameras before you buy one.

That said, a hopeful welcome to the DSLR from one newbie to another. :)

see what you want to do...

being a sport photographer, the Pentax system works for me. Cheaper in the long run too.

Thanks
Welcome to clubsnap! :)

unless you're intending to be a superstar pro photographer that goes to the Olympics and stuff, or you have lots of $$ to spend on a large lens collection...

honestly, all the major brands would have lenses that cover all your needs as a hobbyist. Don't need to fret too much about it :)

Thanks

Based on your message, you are toward pentax, then go for it and learn....

If you compare the various models(focal length, prime, zoom) between all makers (Price Guide gives a good starting point) you'll notice a certain pattern of models that is nearly equal across all major brands. On top you can find 3rd party lenses covering either a similar range or filling the gaps in the original line ups. What matters is to get the focal length you need. As a newbie you are well off with the kit lens, everything else comes later.

I would say Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony/Panasonic all have pretty good lenses for most applications.
Since you are not fixed on a particular lens or set of lenses, I would suggest you to try out the different cameras in your hand. The feel of the cameras matters a lot IMO. You have to comfortable with the weight, build and positioning of buttons.
Pentax cameras might feel small for people with bear paws, while the bigger Nikons would feel large and heavy for people with small hands. It is all a matter of choice.
Try out the cameras before you buy one.

That said, a hopeful welcome to the DSLR from one newbie to another. :)

Thanks for the welcome, the bear paws I have is also one of the reason why I'm hesitating to take Pentax (feels like Canon's 500D/550D grip) over Nikon(was looking at Nikon's D90 with 18-105VR, ard $1499 +-. Canon 60D's grip feels great but way out of budget).

Well, seems like bodies with good grip(regardless of brand) comes at a price. May eventually settle down with KR, giving up on the ergonomics factor (was considering that many night shots are done on tripods, thou I do also like to take shots at random like I do with a P&S).

the kit lens of your 1st camera will keep you busy for a long time.

Yes, I believe it will....till I get the basics right, I think Kit Lens will be just right for me...

Thanks for the welcome, the bear paws I have is also one of the reason why I'm hesitating to take Pentax (feels like Canon's 500D/550D grip) over Nikon(was looking at Nikon's D90 with 18-105VR, ard $1499 +-. Canon 60D's grip feels great but way out of budget).

Well, seems like bodies with good grip(regardless of brand) comes at a price. May eventually settle down with KR, giving up on the ergonomics factor (was considering that many night shots are done on tripods, thou I do also like to take shots at random like I do with a P&S).

You could check how much the D5000 would cost with the 18-105 lens. It's about the same size as the D90 and shares the sensor. But yes, the Pentax seems to be the better deal. Just suggesting for ergonomics.