first dinner event coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikiri

Apr 8, 2007
Hi all... i am going to do a coverage of a dinner in a couple of weeks time... it will be my first 'major' coverage. i have found out that i will be the only photographer on the scene so the pressure is most likely on me... any tips and tricks that i should take note of?

also, what would be the attire (professional ettique)?

Hi all... i am going to do a coverage of a dinner in a couple of weeks time... it will be my first 'major' coverage. i have found out that i will be the only photographer on the scene so the pressure is most likely on me... any tips and tricks that i should take note of?

also, what would be the attire (professional ettique)?

Dress the same as others, so if its smart, dress smart, you will fit in more, the worse thing is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Have you done lots of dinners before, under the similar 3Ls (Location, lighting conditions, Limitations)?

If not, the best 'tip' or 'trick' you could have up your sleeve if you can't back-down from the assignment without getting into too much trouble, is to get as much practise under similar conditions till you get all bugs ironed out.

And, comfortable shoes.

CHEERS!

hi,
Recently i also done my first dinner event shoot. Indoors bound to encounter low light problem.

A few tips for first timer not wanting to screw up images

1. Use external flash unit if you have it. The oncamera flash gives nasty wash out effects, harsh shadows and very slow reload time.

2. Push up iso to 800-1600 this is to be able to maintain shutter speeds this can be lower if your lens is fast or can go bigger aperture. (Can go for lower iso if shooting group shots coz those are most likely to be printed)

3. Try to maintain shutter speed of 1/maximum focal length of the lens. Or atleast near there so you wont need to change shutter speed too often and miss out on the moment. Eg. For focal length 200mm i use 1/160. My lens are probably too cheap to go fast enough in low light.

Most people will probably be looking for sharp images , you wont need to try fancy stuff like slow shutter.

While shooting dinner try to shoot for verbs. Pictures that tell a story. Try to understand what is going on and shoot for an image that tells just that.

I believe you are not shooting a wedding dinner, here is a thread cover most of the things regrading shooting a wedding, a most comprehensive thread I ever seen.

you can find how to shoot a dinner event in here too.

hope this help.

Actually....if its such a 'major' event it might be advisable to get another photographer to co-cover the event with you.
He can act as a backup and 2 photographer can cover more shots during the event.

my little concribution.

hi,

1. Use external flash unit if you have it. The oncamera flash gives nasty wash out effects, harsh shadows and very slow reload time.

agree. external flash with a reflector card is a must.

2. Push up iso to 800-1600 this is to be able to maintain shutter speeds this can be lower if your lens is fast or can go bigger aperture. (Can go for lower iso if shooting group shots coz those are most likely to be printed)

Am supprised many ppl use high ISO. I use iso400 only (but set to iso500 because my camnera's metering is consistantly under-exposed). the reason is at high iso you may have a little bit of noise. also, using too high iso will have a problem with shutter speed as i answer the next question.

3. Try to maintain shutter speed of 1/maximum focal length of the lens. Or atleast near there so you wont need to change shutter speed too often and miss out on the moment. Eg. For focal length 200mm i use 1/160. My lens are probably too cheap to go fast enough in low light.

My shutter speed is most likely at 1/30 or 1/15. not worry about camera shake when my hand is steady. subject will not move that fast, and won't be so obvious when the surrounding is not that bright. (Using rear curtain flash helps) . main reason for using slower shutter speed is so that you can expose for "longer" time to capture the dim background lighting, otherwise you have the subject will lited, but black background. The result is different from using higher ISO. try it for yourself.

Most people will probably be looking for sharp images , you wont need to try fancy stuff like slow shutter.

if shooting D & D, a little fancy slow shutter speed effects does bring out the atmosphere, esp the disco lighting. I use as slow as 1/4.

While shooting dinner try to shoot for verbs. Pictures that tell a story. Try to understand what is going on and shoot for an image that tells just that.

Lots of great advise, but remember, nothing beats PRACTISE under similar conditions. If you can get a chance to shoot at the same venue before your actual shoot, better still.

CHEERS!

yea... thanks all!!

this is is not my first shoot indoors.. i have done it before... for another dinner...

this dinner is a D&D...

plus... i know i going to be working around the clock as i will have no assistance... haha...

CHEERS to you too!! :sweatsm:

Be cool, steady (in control), and don't screw up. Dress smart, be early (not punctual), get to know the surroundings thoroughly, as well as the event details and lighting conditions. Make sure you have a backup set for all your equipment (cam, lens, batt, flash, memory cards), there will be no room for excuses if any of your equipment fails.

yea... thanks all!!

this is is not my first shoot indoors.. i have done it before... for another dinner...

this dinner is a D&D...

plus... i know i going to be working around the clock as i will have no assistance... haha...

CHEERS to you too!! :sweatsm:

If you understand the music they are dancing to you could plan for the highlights of the dance. Follow the music rythem and shoot on the highlights of the music.

Congrats on getting your first indoor shoot. While it can be nerve racking, just be calm and be yourself. Most importantly, have fun! What the other photographers have said here, pretty much sums it up as far as what you should set your camera to. Then again, it all depends on the environment and lighting. I'm also surprised that some people use such high ISO. 800 and 1600 will certainly increase the noise and doing people, or group shots, is not really advised. But then again, everyone has a different style. Myself, I use 400 with my 580EX flash and I'm pretty much happy with the results. I have shot numerous events and while the first few can be stressful, it all gets easier from there.

If you need any help, just ask. Good luck to you! :)

Yeah...first time is always scary..
i just read megaweb's settings recommendation.

mine is similiar to his too, and so far..works fine.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.