First DC: Ixus V3 good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LimAhHuatDurians

Hi all!

I'm currently sourcing for the best choice of entry-level DC for myself. I'm new to digital photography, and probably wouldn't understand/use lotsa manual functions at this point in time.

I've actually narrowed choices down to the following

- Canon Ixus V3
- Canon Powershot S45 or 30
- Olympus C-730

Criteria being,

- budget around 700-900, guess that kinda leaves S45 and C-730 out eh?
- at least 3mp
- able to P&S without too much tweaking of configurations, as I'm a newbie to photography and is exploring
- able to take relatively good night shots, again with minimal configuration <----- my most impt criteria

At the moment, it seems that Ixus V3 is the most relevant choice here, can any current Ixus V3 users comment on the night-shot capability? Also does anybody have any good recommendations for other brands based on the above criteria? like FujiFilm, Sony, Minolta??

Hope that i have provided enough criteria. Looking forward to your comments thanks!

900 can get right? the two?

anyway v3 is a toy. it's not a camera. the s330 is a camera. not the v2 and v3.

if u are new... why not settle for A40? I can't help but wonder why some newbies likes to get high end cameras when they are still new?

I am a newbie myself and I think A40 is good for me to start :D

Originally posted by denizenx

s330? or s30? i thought v3 is better than s330.

Originally posted by denizenx

deni, what do u mean by "v3 is a toy, it's not a camera"?? dun think i hv paid $700 for a TOY?!! apart from the zoom, i think v3 is much better than s330. anyway, me a DC beginner too, just that seeing the above comments really makes me "arrgggg"....:devil: :devil:

Originally posted by localhost
if u are new... why not settle for A40? I can't help but wonder why some newbies likes to get high end cameras when they are still new?

r u talking about me? :confused:

but my G3 is my 1st high end Digital camera.. i used to have a Minolta 5xi which was discontinued when i brot it for servicing as the handguard is broken and there're some fluid that flowed out.. ;p

the person at the minolta svc ctr told me cannot get spare parts for it liao so i decided to leave that camera alone and got the G3 instead.. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Linkster

r u talking about me? :confused:

but my G3 is my 1st high end Digital camera.. i used to have a Minolta 5xi which was discontinued when i brot it for servicing as the handguard is broken and there're some fluid that flowed out.. ;p

the person at the minolta svc ctr told me cannot get spare parts for it liao so i decided to leave that camera alone and got the G3 instead.. :rolleyes:

I am referring to the thread starter. At least u own a camera b4... and not started to have one :D

Originally posted by LimAhHuatDurians
Hi all!

I'm currently sourcing for the best choice of entry-level DC for myself. I'm new to digital photography, and probably wouldn't understand/use lotsa manual functions at this point in time.

I've actually narrowed choices down to the following

- Canon Ixus V3
- Canon Powershot S45 or 30
- Olympus C-730

Criteria being,

- budget around 700-900, guess that kinda leaves S45 and C-730 out eh?
- at least 3mp
- able to P&S without too much tweaking of configurations, as I'm a newbie to photography and is exploring
- able to take relatively good night shots, again with minimal configuration <----- my most impt criteria

At the moment, it seems that Ixus V3 is the most relevant choice here, can any current Ixus V3 users comment on the night-shot capability? Also does anybody have any good recommendations for other brands based on the above criteria? like FujiFilm, Sony, Minolta??

Hope that i have provided enough criteria. Looking forward to your comments thanks!

Based on your criteria, go for the S45. It's 900 odd, I am sure you can stretch your budget a bit. C730 should be below $900 if you need that 10x zoom. For night shots, basically forget the V3.

Regards
CK

because they are new, so they don't know what is good/suitable for their use. furthermore, you might think that A40 is good enough but he said he need 3MP so a A40 is out.

Originally posted by PsychoBoy

because they are new, so they don't know what is good/suitable for their use. furthermore, you might think that A40 is good enough but he said he need 3MP so a A40 is out.

but is it a must for a newbie to have 3mp? just wondering. Or hes just those following the trend, ppl have v3 then he must have it too :p

quite personally
i think a 2MP camera is enuff.. even if u are developing to prints
maybe he just wants a v3 coz its more PnS than the A40
me i'm using a A40, no complains here...

again, if u have prev film camera experience, getting a lowend will make u disappointed, as the photo quality will not be enough to satisfy you.
I tried the the s330 after not liking the v2/3. liked the s330. my bias?
if a total newbie wants to go digital as his serious first try into photography, get a good one. beats upgrading 4 mths later.
if he cannot decide or just wants to catch up on trends, get any toy he want, it'll be a toy whatever he gets.

heh sha"argggg"an, a toy nowadays can go any price, a ferrari is a toy, at least on local roads. as long u feel your camera satisfies your needs nothing wrong with it.

but is it a must for a newbie to have 3mp? just wondering. Or hes just those following the trend, ppl have v3 then he must have it too :p

it is not a must, it is just his perference...

anyway, he is not totally no experience with camera.. he does have film P&S camera.. now he want to get a camera to take photo without must configuration when needed.. and at the same time can explore manual features when he has the time to play with it....

you might wonder why I know all these, because I know him in person... and I remember correctly that he tried my A40(sold it 1/2 yr ago) before....

Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate it!

Why do i need a mp3 camera? frankly besides better image quality, the more impt reason would be to buy a relatively good camera so that i don't have to upgrade so soon...If i had wanted a real entry-level bare mininum kinda camera, i would have sourced for a second hand in the marketplace forums...

Hmmm....If V3 is weak on nightshots, i think that basically rules it out of my choice...

Olympus c730 doesn't have the underwater housing, which is a minor weak pt since i might go into diving in the future...

Is the DIGIC processor technology worth the extra money for s45? Can any experts comment between s45 and s40?

What about the FujiFilm line? Finepix A303 or FinePix F402?

Thanks again in advance for all your feedback!!!

Originally posted by LimAhHuatDurians
Thanks for all the feedback! Appreciate it!

Why do i need a mp3 camera? frankly besides better image quality, the more impt reason would be to buy a relatively good camera so that i don't have to upgrade so soon...If i had wanted a real entry-level bare mininum kinda camera, i would have sourced for a second hand in the marketplace forums...

Hmmm....If V3 is weak on nightshots, i think that basically rules it out of my choice...

Olympus c730 doesn't have the underwater housing, which is a minor weak pt since i might go into diving in the future...

Is the DIGIC processor technology worth the extra money for s45? Can any experts comment between s45 and s40?

What about the FujiFilm line? Finepix A303 or FinePix F402?

Thanks again in advance for all your feedback!!!

underwater housing usually costs as much as 1/2 the camera.
c4000 might be a good bet between features n performance n price. but big.
DIGIC canons are just revised cheaper-cost models.
u seem bent on small cameras, well avoid casio exilim, sony u10/20 fsc55/77 and super flat cams can liao.
like they always say, when u have a few choices, either ask CS users for a test or go CP for a hands-on

Originally posted by PsychoBoy

it is not a must, it is just his perference...

anyway, he is not totally no experience with camera.. he does have film P&S camera.. now he want to get a camera to take photo without must configuration when needed.. and at the same time can explore manual features when he has the time to play with it....

you might wonder why I know all these, because I know him in person... and I remember correctly that he tried my A40(sold it 1/2 yr ago) before....

Hehehe....i consider myself with MINIMAL EXPERIENCE with my old Pentax APS P&S camera.... wah u really understand me sial...i juz want the TUNED and TESTED product...i'm very practical, can P&S and give me the best possible image.... best of all, add a little dose of advanced function so that i can start discovering the kick of advanced digital photography.....

pay abit more n go for the S45.. it also offers PnS options ma.. then when u decide to get down to real business it oso offer full manual and has many advanced options oso..;)

Originally posted by Jer76
pay abit more n go for the S45.. it also offers PnS options ma.. then when u decide to get down to real business it oso offer full manual and has many advanced options oso..;)

might as well get C4000z(which is what I am using) .. if one day you decided to do underwater photo, the macro for C4000z is much better than S45's 10cm macro range....

My cam :
camera.jpg

My accessories FOR THE cam :
accessories.jpg

Call me crazy, stupid, whatever...
I'm just too attached to the V series.

Status
Not open for further replies.