First B&W conversion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk.images

Dec 9, 2005
www.pbase.com
C&C please for this image of my son....

20060114_IMG_0098-01bw_resized.jpg

I suggest cropping off the left side of the image, its a bit distracting.

Interesting pose adopted by the kid.

Personally, I would prefer a vertical frame 4:3 with a very tight crop so that the subject covers a very great proportion of the whole frame (crop the left, right and some of the head room above) because the viewer's attention will be focused on the kid and there is nothing interesting on the wall or on the floor. ......... unless the message you want to convey is "Isolation".

If it's your intention to get viewers to focus on the interesting pose and facial expression adopted by your son, then it's much better than the original picture as far as I'm concerned.

I like the second one better.:thumbsup:

The first pic looked a little blur to me.:think:

personally, i prefer the 1st pic... if you must crop, i would prefer a tighter half-body crop of the pic.

overall, i like the pic :thumbsup:

Hi, just wanna share a little i know about B/W photo and developing. Usually in the dark room for under exposed shots we would use the IR filters to intensify the contrast. I kinda felt that this picture taken by you is a tad bit lacking in that. I'm not sure if you're shooting digital. But i think it'll be good to try to increase the contrast a little for your boy and lighten the background. This will in turn bring your subject away from the background. Another way of making your pictures more "eye catching" IMO. you could try to put a border around it. Maybe sth like the example below. Hope you don't mind. If you do, please pm me, and i'll remove it. Cheers
Just my 2 rupees worth :)

Sth.jpg

i really liked the first shot if u cropped off the left hand side a bit. it gave the photo a bit more "space". i personally like "space" alot. gives a picture more environment to it. however, the tightly cropped shot shows more of your son's face and features. so both are cool for me:)

Chris Lim said:
Hi, just wanna share a little i know about B/W photo and developing. Usually in the dark room for under exposed shots we would use the IR filters to intensify the contrast.

You use infra-red filters to intensify the the contrast?

With what is the usual infra-red filters for infra-red photography, your enlarger bulb will blow before you get enough light through to the paper.

I think what you meant is not infra-red filters, but magenta filters. But a also rather simple way is to use a higher contrast paper.

Nonetheless, I agree that this image is lacking a little in contrast. Since this image has been digitalised, it is a simple matter to bump up the contrast a little.

The choice of image format is very personal.

But I prefer #1. Although quite a bit of my images are very tight, I dolike the space in #1.

More space means showing the viewer what environment the subject is in and therefore conveys a message containing the relationship between the surrounding and the main subject.

Tight crop confines the viewer to the main subject.

To include more or less space depends very much on what message the photographer wants to convey to the viewer.

Hi,

I admit that I like the first picture. I too like space.

This may sound a bit odd for a choice of word, but the first picture looks more friendly to me.

I can't come up with a better way to describe my view, sorry.

:)

The size of the picture also affects our perception of space.

The 2nd picture is kind of too huge to be comfortably viewed on a monitor and therefore gives a very congested impression.

Here's one which is 100% cropped directly from the 1st picture.

20060114img009801bwresizeda7tr.jpg

Yup the 1st pic works better for me as the left side space give that extra fell of space and freedom for me. Also if crop as the 2nd pic, then it falls back to just another portait shot.

But what distracted me was the background which seems to have a gap between the wall and the floor and also there is this metal object on the left side.

The floor seems to be reflecting well, if space allow I would even pull myself backwards to capture more of your son's reflection.

I also like the space in the first picture but I feel a slight nudge to the left and slightly to the top will work better composition wise. Right now the small space on the right felt like an unecessary void. Also it is the perfect composition for Windows wallpaper with all the icons on the left :)

student said:
You use infra-red filters to intensify the the contrast?

With what is the usual infra-red filters for infra-red photography, your enlarger bulb will blow before you get enough light through to the paper.

I think what you meant is not infra-red filters, but magenta filters. But a also rather simple way is to use a higher contrast paper.

Nonetheless, I agree that this image is lacking a little in contrast. Since this image has been digitalised, it is a simple matter to bump up the contrast a little.

The choice of image format is very personal.

But I prefer #1. Although quite a bit of my images are very tight, I dolike the space in #1.

Cheers mate. Spot on:thumbsup: The red filters are just diff grade of contrast filters. Sorry my bad. gave it the wrong name.:embrass:

Pablo said:
Hi,

I admit that I like the first picture. I too like space.

This may sound a bit odd for a choice of word, but the first picture looks more friendly to me.

I can't come up with a better way to describe my view, sorry.

:)

Second that. Some how in an odd way, the space, the expression, the composition and the lack of contrast gave the image a kind of character which the vertical/contrasty/tightly cropped ones seem to lack (my personal preference only, not meant to be generally reflective). Although the extreme left has distractions that can be removed.

IMO since your boy is resting on his right hand I'd frame it with him on the left side of the frame instead.... the right resting hand gives a sense of "support" from the right side and its like having a "wall" to lean-on on the left side of the frame..... :think:

i like the first shot better than the tight crop. i would prefer to crop it slightly and place your son's eyes at the upper right third of the pic while keeping the space on the left, also to increase the contrast and to add in a wide white border to accentuate the feeling of space.

e.g.
55080495.jpg

I like what you've done with it zaren. I'd like just a little more room on the right, say 1/4cm, but that's just me - I'm not really a fan of tight crops (most of the time).

Apart from the bporder and resize did you do anything else apart from bump up the contrast?

Status
Not open for further replies.