First attempt with the LX3

logicet

Feb 27, 2010
Hey guys, I am pretty new to photography and have a basic understanding of the terminology of the photog language so I am seeking some advices here.

Resize.jpg

ISO 400
f/2
Exposure at 0.66eV
Focal length of 5.1mm
Shutter speed 1/8

Location was at chillis so its a pretty bright place but I can't seem to get a good brightness or exposure to it.

Most pictures I took using the LX3 has been a bit on the dark side so I was wondering if there are any ways to change the settings with regards to that?

And please feel free to criticize or offer constructive comments that will aid me in my future attempts.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You may also want to up your Contrast.

You may need to use tripod; 1/8" is a bit tricky for hand held.

Shoot a few pictures with bracket exposure set to +/- EV0.3 and +/-EV0.7 to confirm if it's constantly under or over-expose.

Center-Weighted Metering is more suitable for this shot.

If you're shooting landscape, use Multi-Metering (Pattern-Metering).

Resize your picture next time to say 800X600 before uploading.

Resize.jpg

Last edited:
pic quality wise, will definitely be better if you resize to screen size...

Last edited:
Sorry for the size. Will take note the next time I upload.

What will you recommend for shutter speed then?

sorry if i sound blunt, but why is the subject half eaten? it's unflattering, take the subject before you start eating it and if needs be compose it alittle. arrange the fries or something.

and i believe your wb is off too, underexposed etc.

put it into photoshop or something, and at the very least auto level it. :)

keep trying and you'll get there, everybody have to start from somewhere and i came from scratch too

Before contrast adjustment

Resize.jpg

After contrast adjustment

Resize-1.jpg

Last edited:
sorry if i sound blunt, but why is the subject half eaten? it's unflattering, take the subject before you start eating it and if needs be compose it alittle. arrange the fries or something.

and i believe your wb is off too, underexposed etc.

put it into photoshop or something, and at the very least auto level it. :)

keep trying and you'll get there, everybody have to start from somewhere and i came from scratch too

Sorry about that. My friend was too hungry before I could take a picture, he chomp into it. :bsmilie:

I was hoping not to use PS to edit the pictures because it will be really time consuming if I am too edit every single picture that I took.

Most of the pictures I have taken are underexposed even though my exposure is set up to +0.66. So I was wondering if there are any solutions to that.

Anyway I used Aperture to increase the exposure to +0.66 eV for the following photos.

Before:
p1000199t.jpg

After:
p1000199e.jpg

Comments?

Pictures on LX3 will generally look better if you up the Contrast or Saturation.

The default settings usually looks flat unless it's a very bright and sunny day.

Hey guys, I am pretty new to photography and have a basic understanding of the terminology of the photog language so I am seeking some advices here.

ISO 400
f/2
Exposure at 0.66eV
Focal length of 5.1mm
Shutter speed 1/8

Location was at chillis so its a pretty bright place but I can't seem to get a good brightness or exposure to it.

Most pictures I took using the LX3 has been a bit on the dark side so I was wondering if there are any ways to change the settings with regards to that?

And please feel free to criticize or offer constructive comments that will aid me in my future attempts.

Thanks in advance!

This is very strange... You are using a slow shutter speed of 1/8 and at relatively high ISO of 400 and yet the photo seems underexposed. May I know what mode and metering are you shoot? I presume no flash used. Have you accidently adjusted the exposure compensation?

I was using P mode and pattern metering.

This is very strange... You are using a slow shutter speed of 1/8 and at relatively high ISO of 400 and yet the photo seems underexposed. May I know what mode and metering are you shoot? I presume no flash used. Have you accidently adjusted the exposure compensation?

I also had the same problem last time when I only had the lx3.

The photo in my lx3 was darker than the D5000 even though the same setting was used.

Normally I would use manual mode for food photos. I would set the shutter speed of at least 1/4 seconds and above to have the correct exposure in most cafes & restaurants.

I also had the same problem last time when I only had the lx3.

The photo in my lx3 was darker than the D5000 even though the same setting was used.

Normally I would use manual mode for food photos. I would set the shutter speed of at least 1/4 seconds and above to have the correct exposure in most cafes & restaurants.

The settings can be the same on both cameras but the sensor and processor are different. As such you cannot expect the same results from both cameras.

I was using P mode and pattern metering.

Hmm ic. Are all the photos always dark or is it in this shot only? It seems that a large portion of the picture contains white colour. In suitation where there is bright light on white surface or a large portion of the picture is bright (eg, shooting with sun behind subject), it will trick the camera to believe the ligthing is brighter than it actually is.

logicet, suggest you switch to Center-Weighted Metering. Put your subject in the center and lock focus/exposure; recompose and shoot.

Try shooting with +Contrast or +Saturation when you have the time for testing.

Alright I will test it out and post the results. Thanks!

Aperture also does a good job in editing the underexposure and contrast details so I will also look into learning it proper.

Last edited:
Alright I will test it out and post the results. Thanks!

Aperture also does a good job in editing the underexposure and contrast details so I will also look into learning it proper.

"Aperture also does a good job" - I think you're referring to exposure compensation i.e. the EV adjustment.

You may not have to use the EV compensation if your Center-Weighted Metering is accurately done.

doesnt look good.

Yea I know it doesn't look good that's why I asked for constructive comments. Thanks. :)

Diavonex,
Could you elaborate more on centre weighted metering? Does it help in the case of underexposure cause I think that's my main issue here thought I know there are other issues. :)

Yea I know it doesn't look good that's why I asked for constructive comments. Thanks. :)

Diavonex,
Could you elaborate more on centre weighted metering? Does it help in the case of underexposure cause I think that's my main issue here thought I know there are other issues. :)

MeteringMode.jpg