First attempt in DSLR

zhehaolau

Aug 12, 2010

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Just general comments actually. This is my first attempt in DSLR photography. Previously i was using PNS but was limited by the auto controls.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was trying to take photographs of the old collection of notes i have. Then i saw a few 50 cents with the word Republic of Singapore. Decided to take with it to show that it is from singapore.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
In a room. Using 550D with kit lens 18-55mm

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think the word Singapore on the 3rd coin wasnt well shown. Somehow the reflection on the coin of the notes were strong.

Last edited:
Then i saw a few 50 cents with the word Republic of Singapore. Decided to take with it to show that it is from singapore.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think the word Singapore on the 3rd coin wasnt well shown. Somehow the reflection on the coin of the notes were strong.

interesting and decent photo overall. I have almost miss the words on the edge of the coins if you haven't mentioned about it. During the shoot, you have to do something about the light source to enhance and bring out the words. For me, I will try to de-clutter the background even though it may be out of focus reposition the coins such that it will look more like the secondary subject instead of the main subject as it is now. This will help to enhance the focus on your old notes collection.

Nice idea, I was expecting some kind of play on the coins. I find the background a little bit distracting though being too colourful, the coin could do with a bit more lighting, more silver.

Thanks bros for the comments! Ok will keep that in mind!
Probably i can provide some artificial lighting aimed on the coins?

interesting and decent photo overall. I have almost miss the words on the edge of the coins if you haven't mentioned about it. During the shoot, you have to do something about the light source to enhance and bring out the words. For me, I will try to de-clutter the background even though it may be out of focus reposition the coins such that it will look more like the secondary subject instead of the main subject as it is now. This will help to enhance the focus on your old notes collection.
Thanks for the comment bro. I will try putting the coins as secondary tomorrow and see how it turns out. Thanks!

Last edited:
you sure have alot of $1 notes... cannot seem to find them in circulation in the market now...

overall nice pic, you did increase saturation right?

Better to use brand new coins and notes ;-)

Thanks for the comment bro. I used the older notes to give the "collection of notes" feel.
Not sure if i did the right thing though. :bsmilie:

you sure have alot of $1 notes... cannot seem to find them in circulation in the market now...

overall nice pic, you did increase saturation right?

Yup i cropped to have the rule of third placing and increase contrast.
If i never increase contrast, the out of focus part (the red part) also kinda saturated but a little soft.

Hahaha i used to collect old notes when i was around 8 years old i think. 9 years has past..
The foreground are old one dollar notes while the red and green patches at the background are old 5 dollar and 10 dollars.

Last edited:
look for a better subject for hdr...