First attempt HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcy0n

Apr 12, 2007
A first attempt at HDR. The pic was taken in bali on the east side of the island, hence the sunset was not spot on. However, the clouds after a passing shower were quite a sight. Kinda reminds me of galactus in Transformers. Anybody has any guidance or tips on how to improve the post-processing? Of course, any comments on composition or otherwise is appreciated.

Shot was taken at 22mm with GND +2 (I think) filter.

632276796_f6794ba8d1.jpg

not very good at post processing tho. but as long as u get more detail than a single shot.. that should be good!

maybe brightening and cropping the shot a bit would help. there is too much negative space on the top

A first attempt at HDR. The pic was taken in bali on the east side of the island, hence the sunset was not spot on. However, the clouds after a passing shower were quite a sight. Kinda reminds me of galactus in Transformers. Anybody has any guidance or tips on how to improve the post-processing? Of course, any comments on composition or otherwise is appreciated.

632276796_f6794ba8d1.jpg

Nice shot. Kinda remind me of a twister that is starting to form. or from the scene in Independence Day when the UFO was coming through the cloud.

FYI, Galactus is from Fantastic Four, NOT Transformers (which the character is Unicron);)

If u wanna do HDR, best not to use filter.

i do not know how you process your HDR but apparently it is not very well done, as you have this bright glow in the middle and no details - unless of course that was your compositional intent, and if so then whether it is HDR or not is irrelevant.

u can still use filters for HDR processing, only now you dont need as huge a EV range at capture as without it. (I dont see why its "best not to use filter"?)

Joecool: Noted! hahaa I guess Transformers was just stuck in my head after hearing how fantastic "no pun intended" it is, and it truly was a good movie.

inckruei: thanks for your comments, I suppose cropping the top 1/4 of the shot might help. I kept it darker for two reasons: 1) like espion pointed out, I couldn't seem to get a proper exposure of the bright spot in the middle after combining the frames and wss trying to minimise it as much as I could thru simple adjustments of brightness and contrast; 2) I was trying to keep it dark and scary with a bit of colour at the "twister" formed at the clouds.

espion: I simply combined the pics in photomatix den processed it on photoshop by randomly playing around with curves and adjusting brightness and contrast. Of course, it isnt well done at all haha. I think the HDR did manage to save some cloud detail just above the horizon but will look at the shots again to see if there is one that saves the bright spot.

neither here nor there is never a good thing.

so u must either have a composition in mind and process for that - which can be arrived at from "randomly playing around" - or you push the processing to the max to see what you can arrive at. But if it is neither, then this is the sorta of pic u get.

And BTW STAY OFF from that brightness and contrast thingy in PS. It throws away your hard collected data and destroys your pic. PM me for more if you are keen.

Status
Not open for further replies.