First attempt at nightshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothan

Dec 31, 2007
the photos are taken with a canon 860is and tripod. i'm very new at this and would appreciate some comments. thank you kindly.

i tried to get the foreground and background effect in this photo with the bridge and railings. i'd like to have more vivid colours. will that be possible with my camera or can only dslrs do that?

img0087js5.jpg

would love to have your inputs. thank you again.

Well, one thing for sure, you didn't read the rules for Critique Corner. The mods stated only a pic per week by a user. With a dark sky and mainly street lamps lighting on the foreground is not going to produce a dynamic range of colors, if that's what you wanting to achieve. It would be best to shoot with the sky still with some light.

ok sorry abt the rules. anyway i've removed one photo. thanks for your comments.

To bring out the colors you have to post process your image in an enhancement software like Photoshop, Picasa, Gimp or Corel Photo paint to name a few.
Like what Kruger had mentioned, it is best to take this scene at twilight, just before the sky turn dark.
There are other flaws that I will leave others to mention.
But what I like to point out is that the bridge and the railing are the anchoring point in this image. They should lead the viewers into the scene. Yours are leading the viewers out.

Your pics are dominated by the yellow lit pavements and railings.. very difficult to produce vivid colors for such composition. Do a search in the forum for CBD shots. Can learn much from there.

picture is tilted and the subject focus which i assume to be the lights over at the esplanade side is slightly blurred. Shouldn't have included the railings and pavements if your subject was the esplanade, unless I am wrong and you were trying to capture the pavement and railings. Yup not a very good shot.

the photos are taken with a canon 860is and tripod. i'm very new at this and would appreciate some comments. thank you kindly.

i tried to get the foreground and background effect in this photo with the bridge and railings. i'd like to have more vivid colours. will that be possible with my camera or can only dslrs do that?

img0087js5.jpg

would love to have your inputs. thank you again.

Can't have more vivid colors in nightscenes, even our eyes don't see much colors during this period. But U can shoot in brackets of 3-5 subsequent shots and merge it together for a more dynamic pic in photoshop or like silkypix, etc(forgot which, bought it but haven't use it yet lol), esp when there's some presence of light in sunset, dusk, etc.
Best is to shoot at 6-8 blue hour for more vivid blue sky, and u can turn ur cam saturation etc up for that. Any P&S etc cam can do that! Tried and tested.
But then, I can see your pics are soft, your exposure is hardly 1sec and ur using f2.8. You can shoot with smaller aperatures and longer exposure to make it clearer.

Hi,
My comments . Pics a bit dull. Do a little punch up with photoshop or other editing software. The railing and ground is having too much room. Also, there are something sticking out at the left upper side. I beieve should be banner or lamp posts. It distracts me of your main subject.

Also, the scene is not detailed. A little longer exposure may give you a better pic.

Thanks

ezestan

exposure is okay.

too much headroom for the buildings, maybe can crop some of the sky off.
distractions on the left side of the photo, pretty obvious. ;)
slanted horizon which can be corrected using ps.

... anyway, it's good attempt for a first timer. cheers! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.