First AF SLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

Jul 6, 2002
Zimbabwe
Visit site
Hi,

I have decided to get a AF SLR finally. I have been using mechanical M42 screw mount camera and lens and still like them very much. But now that I am working, I have decided to get some flexibility. The question is that I am torn between which SLR to buy on a tight budget. I have in mind the Nikon F80, Minolta Dynax 5 and maybe another similar class Canon camera.

I have seen the Camera Workshop selling M42 mounts to Minolta mount and maybe Canon mounts. That would be a big bonus for me as I intent to just get a normal kit lens with the body and use my M42 prime lens(or can I?) Would I be able to get correct exposures with the M42 adapters on these cameras? I like the price and features of the Dynax 5 but the problem is are its lens hard to find, expensive(how does it compare to Nikons lenses prices) and does Minolta use the same mounts or do they keep changing? And is the Nikon F80 a class above it in performance?

I would not be considering digital photography so it is not important for the camera to be compatible for that. Thanks...

i think the F80 will not meter with M42 lenses with Nikon-mount adaptors. i even have to use stop-down metering with my pentacon 135mm on a manual nikon.

Originally posted by Gunjack
Hi,
Would I be able to get correct exposures with the M42 adapters on these cameras?

Hi

if u're thinking of mounting third party manual focus lenses on Canon AF bodies, you need to take note that manual focus lenses mounted on the EOS 30 will not meter accurately.

Apparently, this screw-up only happens on the EOS 30 and not on other Canon SLRs, even the lowly EOS 300 or the digital bodies. There is a bug in the firmware of the EOS 30 that does not allow it to meter accurately with manual focus lenses eg Leica R lenses mounted with the Novoflex adapter.

Btw you need to take note that you will not have automatic diaphragm, so you will most probably need to resort to stop down metering when using these lenses on AF bodies. Which means a slight loss of flexibility and you need to do a bit more work. Also there are no electrical contacts or communication between the lens and body so there's no focus confirmation on the EOS (or any other bodies i would think) either.

You also need to take note of potential mirror clearance issues. The rear assemblies of some of the super wide lenses MAY protude too deeply into the body, hitting the return mirror of the AF SLR bodies. Best thing is to bring down your lenses to check on the spot.

ps: i suggest a Canon AF SLR for best flexibility and good potential growth of your AF system :devil:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I just don't like Canon products, I dunno why, (maybe I am pro-Nikon and I don't like canon camera design, hehe) and since the Nikon F80 does not accept Manual M42 lens with metering, I have decided to chose a Minolta...

Status
Not open for further replies.