firmware...

woodykong

Jul 13, 2011
hi guys im a new dslr pentax user...reali dunno wat use of firmware..
hope to get some useful advice here...thx for advance

If you mean installing, the firmware download has a readme text file that has instructions.

If you ask what they do, the website has the details of what is in the firmware.

ok wil check it out
thx^^

Firmware is just like the OS of your camera... You can use any version, though usually the new version may offer some improvements or new features.

did the upgrade wil affect warranty??

your warranty will still be valid if you download from the official site.

But IIRC screwing up the update itself isn't covered by warranty. So read the instructions carefully.

But IIRC screwing up the update itself isn't covered by warranty. So read the instructions carefully.

the most likely possibility of that happening is if:

(a) u attempt to upgrade firmware on a dying battery and it goes flat before the update is complete

or

(b) u power down the camera before the update is complete (and why would u do that?)

kinda like trying to install a new OS on a comp and interrupting the process before its completed. result is often the same: if the software cannot restore, you need to format. unfortunately, we can't "format" the firmware so *ouch* warranty void.

if the camera is functioning properly, the firmware is loaded into the root directory of the SD card and allowed to run normally as per instructions without interruption, nothing should go wrong lah.

the most likely possibility of that happening is if:

(a) u attempt to upgrade firmware on a dying battery and it goes flat before the update is complete

or

(b) u power down the camera before the update is complete (and why would u do that?)

kinda like trying to install a new OS on a comp and interrupting the process before its completed. result is often the same: if the software cannot restore, you need to format. unfortunately, we can't "format" the firmware so *ouch* warranty void.

if the camera is functioning properly, the firmware is loaded into the root directory of the SD card and allowed to run normally as per instructions without interruption, nothing should go wrong lah.

Yeah. Just throwing it out as a warning.

You'd be surprised at what people would do. :dunno:

LOL... i meant it as a rhetorical question and having seen strange behavior firsthand, no, i won't be surprised ;)

I've seen stange behavior firsthand, too. Still brings a "wtf?" expression to my face every now and then. :bsmilie:

sound dangerous for upgrade!!!how??if in case of 'accident' press the button how?lolx

sound dangerous for upgrade!!!how??if in case of 'accident' press the button how?lolx

I won't lie to you: you *CAN* brick your camera if you screw up the firmware upgrade, in which case you have no choice but to bring it to emjay for servicing which is *NOT* covered by warranty.

With that out of the way, if you follow the instructions on the manual (use a fully-charged battery when you do the upgrade. Don't think the camera will allow you to upgrade with a partially-drained battery anyway), your upgrade will be a simple and painless 5-minute process.

Essentially, just don't do the two things detritus said in his post and you'll be fine. If you're still not comfortable, bring it to the service centre (again, not covered by warranty) and let them do the upgrading for you. Or get a friend who knows his stuff (don't blame him if he screws up, though, even if it's highly unlikely). There might also be videos to teach you how to update the firmware. You can just follow them.

Or just live with the older-versioned firmware. :p

lolx live with older version juz ok??mine is ver 1.0...izzit very old?wat more function by the new version?

Don't be afraid. as anything in this life there are always risks. but this risk is less likely to happen if you follow all the steps. ;)

wah lau! read the instructions properly and just do it lah.

so many pple upgrade also bo tai ji... if u manage to mess up your camera doing a firmware upgrade, then u are really the first and the champion man...

(Maybe I really shouldn't have thrown out that warning. People latch onto it and ignore everything else that is said.) :dunno:

lolx y so serious man??I swear sure have ppl have problem when upgrade in the world

lolx y so serious man??I swear sure have ppl have problem when upgrade in the world

in the world, walk on pavement also will step on dog poo, eat bak chor mee also will kena choke by fish ball, go public toilet pang sai also will kena no toilet paper...

depends on whether your cup is half full or half empty lor...

you asked if upgrading firmware will spoil your camera, my answer is, not if u do it properly and its very easy to do it properly.