Firmware Update v 1.03 for K-5

Praise be.

Can't wait to get home to update mine.

thumbs up.

* Improved the accuracy of auto focus in low-intensity light condition.
* Improved stability for general performance.

*Contents of [Version 1.02] will be also updated.

wah this is great news!!! cant wait to update it to my K5 after it back from japan!!!

Great timing, just 2 weeks after I bought. Now, to figure out how I should do it.

simple, insert memory card into pc.. download the firmware unzip, paste it on the root of ur memory card.
plug memory card into camera, hold menu button i think when powering up the camera.

Great, mean Pentax team working very hard to make K5 from better to best :thumbsup:

Very nice, even though i don't own one. Good job by Pentax. Hope it will solve the FF issue.

Finally! I've been waiting for this firmware update for a long time. Based on my quick tests, the focusing in 3 EV is spot on. If you have a K-5, go do the firmware upgrade asap!

Oops, my largest SD card is only 16gig as I don't do video. Can I go down to Emjay to get them to help me?

Bro you only need a 32mb card.

Oops, my largest SD card is only 16gig as I don't do video. Can I go down to Emjay to get them to help me?

I think you must have read incorrectly with regards to the size of the SD card to copy the firmware to.
The latest firmware is only less than 12 megabytes in size. Therefore you can use any old SD card you have lying around.
I just used an old 128 megabyte normal SD card to copy the firmware and update my K-5.
It just takes less than 5 min to download and update the camera. No need to waste your time to go down to Emjay when you can do it pretty easily yourself.

yeah, some may see wrongly, as currently we always talking about 1GB, 2GB, etc...
Basically you can't find any SD below 2GB now :)

I think you must have read incorrectly with regards to the size of the SD card to copy the firmware to.
The latest firmware is only less than 12 megabytes in size. Therefore you can use any old SD card you have lying around.
I just used an old 128 megabyte normal SD card to copy the firmware and update my K-5.
It just takes less than 5 min to download and update the camera. No need to waste your time to go down to Emjay when you can do it pretty easily yourself.

Oops. Getting old and spending too much time on my new pc and getting lost in lightroom 3.3. I am such a noop that I really need step-by-step instruction and my son has me shelling me the last couple of days. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Oops. Getting old and spending too much time on my new pc and getting lost in lightroom 3.3. I am such a noop that I really need step-by-step instruction and my son has me shelling me the last couple of days. Thanks for the correction.

Its ok, its not abt age. even I also at first time thought its a GB rather than MB. hahaha.

Help.

I don't have a card reader so have to use my camera.
1, Load an empty but formatted SD card into camera.
2. Connect camera to computer via USB cable provided.
3. Must I turn on the camera to start the download?.
4. Other steps I understand including using a fully charged battery.

Anthony,

The usual and quickest way is to get the firmware file copied to a blank SD card. That SD card then has to be inserted into your camera.
If you're using the provided USB cable, you obviously need to switch on the camera in order for the computer to recognize that your camera is connected and the SD card is recognized as an external disk.
Once your computer has recognized the SD card, you need to copy the firmware file over to the SD card's root directory.
Once that's done, eject the SD card from the computer, switch off the camera, disconnect the USB cable and proceed from step 4 below.

==============================================================

Updating Procedure

1. Provide a formated SD/SDHC memory card for the update software (with at
least 32MB of available memory space).
The downloaded file is self-extracting.
The following files are extracted.

readme.txt : this document
fwdc209b.bin : Firmware

Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc209b.bin] to the root directory in
the SD/SDHC card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware
update file by inserting the SD/SDHC card into your camera and then
connecting the camera directly to your computer.

2. Insert the D-LI90 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full
by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.

3. Insert the update SD/SDHC card (prepared in step 1) into the camera
and close card cover.

4. Turn the camera power on while pressing the MENU button.

5. "NOW LOADING" appears in the LCD monitor, and will change to the
"PROGRAM UPDATE". At the bottom of the LCD monitor,

CURRENT VERSION 1.00/1.01/1.02
UPDATE VERSION 1.03

will be displayed.

6. Press the four-way controller to select "YES" and press the "OK" button.

7. "UPDATING" appears on the LCD monitor and updating starts.
Please do not under any circumstances switch off the power before the
update is completed.
It will take approximately 90~150 seconds to complete update.

8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off.

9. Remove the update SD/SDHC card from the camera.

10. To check the Firmware version in your camera, turn the camera on while
pressing the MENU button.
Check that the version displayed in the LCD monitor is "Ver.1.03"
The camera automatically starts up after about 5 seconds.

(Caution)
When updating is finished, the update SD/SDHC card still contains the
Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, delete the Firmware file
first.

Last edited:
Thanks creampuff,

My son came home and gave me a card reader. My K5 is upgraded. Now to do some testing.

Help.

I don't have a card reader so have to use my camera.
1, Load an empty but formatted SD card into camera.
2. Connect camera to computer via USB cable provided.
3. Must I turn on the camera to start the download?.
4. Other steps I understand including using a fully charged battery.

Anthony,

Suggest you just solve it at step 1. A card reader shouldn't cost more than $20 at Sim Lim Square and it will be useful to transfer photos.

Better yet, some premium cards (which you should get because of the file size of the K5 files) give a card reader free. Kill two birds with one stone.