Firmware Update for D2h

Status
Not open for further replies.
skfoo said:
Just received a general mail from Moose Peterson announcing that firmware upgrade for D2h will be available soon. This webpage was included in the mail.

http://images.exacttarget.com/members/3020/d2hfirmware071904.pdf

Digital photography with D2h is getting more fun! :D

Cheers!

ya , jus downloaded here the link

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...p?p_prod_lvl1=19&p_prod_lvl2=99&p_cat_lvl1=23

Interesting. Can't wait to try this out tonight. ;)

Interesting. They don't seem to have done anything to what I really would like done, aside from improving the AF performance, but then it remains to be seen exactly how improved it is. Nikon also didn't say anything at all about this over the weekend, which is very curious.

Heard noise control has been improved ...
Would love to see how well it has done..

willyfoo said:
Did a quick test...
Noise levels seem to be the same...
AWB seems to turn out more yellowish under my incandescent light than before..
Read in http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6457-7101 that it addresses fill-flash photography more rather than ambient light photography

Willy, do it at ISO 400 and above, if you can, compare it with the v1 shots, there IS a difference. :)

Any way to revert back to the Ver 1 after the update? Just in case something goes wrong and I can't afford to screw up the update or give me new and unpredictable results now. Got something to cover tomorrow. Especially after the AF module died on me last week and just got it replaced.

Noise levels concern me most, especially at ISO 800-1600 range. Hopefully blue channel noise has been reduced, among the other updates which I have yet to see for myself.

finkster said:
Any way to revert back to the Ver 1 after the update? Just in case something goes wrong and I can't afford to screw up the update or give me new and unpredictable results now. Got something to cover tomorrow. Especially after the AF module died on me last week and just got it replaced.

Noise levels concern me most, especially at ISO 800-1600 range. Hopefully blue channel noise has been reduced, among the other updates which I have yet to see for myself.

finkster, I don't think so, unless you have some way of extracting the v1 firmware from the cam.

Btw, I highly recommend that you not do anything until after your important shoot, you never know what the new things might do to affect you, it is better to stay in familiar territory first. :)

I think the AWB improvement is quite significant, under both flourescent and tungsten light sources. The bluish cast under flourescent has disappeared.

Also, ISO 800 is cleaner than ever before...more like ISO 400 of V1.

The ISO 1600 appears more like ISO 800.
ISO 3200--->ISO 1600+.

I think I am more comfortable shooting at ISO 800 now for printing and stretching a little more, ISO 1600.

The 30X magnification is great! Kudos to Nikon! :thumbsup:

Has the AF improved? :think:

Has anyone actually READ the blurb? No where on it does Nikon claim that they have improved noise levels. They claim a lot of other things but noise is not one of them.

I'd dearly love there to be an improvement, but, and this is not personal, I'm afraid it might be a case of the emperor's new clothes/the white tablet.

Jed said:
Has anyone actually READ the blurb? No where on it does Nikon claim that they have improved noise levels. They claim a lot of other things but noise is not one of them.

I'd dearly love there to be an improvement, but, and this is not personal, I'm afraid it might be a case of the emperor's new clothes/the white tablet.

Jed, no myth, been doing some bg work on pre v2 stuffs lately. Write to J** (in your PM), let him fill you in :)

Which is why a direct comparison needs to be done to verify claims of reduced noise levels if any.

Perhaps Nikon doesn't want to admit that the noise was an issue in the first place, and if claiming that V2 has lessened the noise would force them to admit that there was actually a problem.

Okay okay. I got two cameras. Tell you what, I load one with new firmware, one without, shoot side by side... will update in due course.

Jed said:
Okay okay. I got two cameras. Tell you what, I load one with new firmware, one without, shoot side by side... will update in due course.

Roger, I will do just that too. I am not sure if they throw what I saw into v2 but I don't see why they shouldn't :)

The pre v2 cam is not with me but I do have something for you, will update to your PM asap ;)

Did the upgrade. Pretty painless and quick.

AWB seems a bit better under daylight fluorescent (almost as good as a custom WB, but not quite there).

The 30x zoom is amazing.

Will be exploring the AF features this weekend, time permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.