Fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluorite

Mar 22, 2005
What is the ideal setting for fireworks?

film? i set f5.6 and more... bulb mode..

Set to F8 to F11 with Bulb. Snap ur cable release when the trails starts to go up...

DSC_2157ps.jpg

This was taken National Day 2003, camera on tripod, with shutter release cable, shutter 5s, aperture f11, manual focus to infinity, white balance cloudy (shot in JPEG).

thanks guys. Astin, what is the technical reason for choosing cloudy WB?

thheng71 said:
Best if with remote!! ;)
not really... I think cable release is still the way to go... remote is a bit laggie... last time I did it with a remote and ended up using the cam body's shutter release instead... :(

Jun_2005.jpg

This is taken with F11 11S ISO 200 with black card

Bulb Mode
Tripod
F11 - F14
Black Card
ISO 100-200

Normally the max you can take for a firework is 5sec (F11-14 ISO200)... but with 5sec there isnt much background effect so you need to use a black card
what i did was open the shutter for a few sec and capture the bg and use a black card to cover my lens ... then when the firework start to "boom" remove the card and count 4-5sec ... close shutter

i wonder? the aperature should be the biggest eg. F2 to absorb more light, but y shooting fireworks should use around F11?

zhuangyan said:
i wonder? the aperature should be the biggest eg. F2 to absorb more light, but y shooting fireworks should use around F11?

You use a smaller aperture so you can have longer exposure times to capture the fireworks.

zhuangyan said:

The narrow opening of f11 compared to f2 is to increase depth of field in the image.

zhuangyan said:

it's also to decrease the fat trails making them look thin,thus more nicer.
Correct me if i'm wrong.

Mr.Lee said:
The narrow opening of f11 compared to f2 is to increase depth of field in the image.

not really
you are going to focus to infinity anyway ;p

the main reason is you want it for a longer expose
F2 you cant even reach 1 sec ... too bright

zaxh81 said:
it's also to decrease the fat trails making them look thin,thus more nicer.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
yes
same idea for night scence

Do you guys pre focus on the fireworks "opening" or manually focus at infinity?

I have done many multiple exposures involving the covering of the lens but i usually just use a black coloured paper. Anyone knows where I can get a black card and how much is it?

latmo said:
Jun_2005.jpg

This is taken with F11 11S ISO 200 with black card

Bulb Mode
Tripod
F11 - F14
Black Card
ISO 100-200

Normally the max you can take for a firework is 5sec (F11-14 ISO200)... but with 5sec there isnt much background effect so you need to use a black card
what i did was open the shutter for a few sec and capture the bg and use a black card to cover my lens ... then when the firework start to "boom" remove the card and count 4-5sec ... close shutter

Pretty well shot pic you've got there. I like it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.