Fireworks, What Settings What Lens To Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarence

Sep 15, 2004
Teck Whye
Hi Guys, just wondering what settings to use for taking fireworks.
I m using a D70
18-135mm (D80 kit lens)

so what settings must i set? erm.. 18-135mm what must b my focal distance? really hope to catch nice fireworks this new year eve. planning to head down somewhere near shears bridge to shoot.:bsmilie:

18mm, f8-16, 4-20s using M mode set to bulb exposure

no need tripod thn how to take at 30"?

guys.. i still need more hint... give me some ideas which settings can give me good results... i dun want to end up with something under exposed. or over exposed..

i think the best advise is to:

be there early! expect long long long chain of tripods!!!! power ! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

actually magic formula already given by sehsuan.
ISO100, f/22 (or smaller if you have it), up to 30 seconds, no need for tripod.
However, tripod or not is a personal perference.. just mount on a tripod to be sure doesn't hurt.
There will be many many shots fired. After the first exposure just adjust the exposure time or aperture accordingly. Just use this search function (this one confirm working) for more details of how the aperture and exposure time affects the results of your picture.

EDIT:
To join in NW75's x'mas mood,
my personal preference is
ISO 200 (cos my cam don't have 100)
f/11-22 (varies from f/11 to f/22
anywhere between 5 to 20 sec exposure depending on the types of shots in the sky.

it really depends on how the fireworks are being fired that evening...
if the fireworks are being fired into "different spaces" meaning no overlap then long exposures are nice... in that case... 15-30sec at F16 would be very nice...

at the finale, usually there would be multiple bursts into the same space... in which case you may need to shorten your exposure time to say 3-5 seconds at maybe F11? (i do this coz I do not like overlapping bursts of fireworks)

So there are some "ideal" settings... but it really depends on how the fireworks are being fired to actually decide roughly what Aperture and shutter speeds to use...

Having said that... if you are shooting from Sheares Bridge, a good point would be to set your aperture and shutter to expose the backgrd properly, then use that setting to shoot your fireworks... should give a rather nice picture...

Do a search on Singapore Fireworks Festival in events subforums... that should give you a lot of info already on what to expect and what cond the pple on the BSB used...

Do take note that due to movement of heavy vehicles on the bridge, pictures would often be a little blur due to shaking...

hope i haven't confused you... sorry for the long blabber... just my $0.02

for me, usually i set

iso100
aperture: f10 to f22
shutter: bulb mode

Recommended Fireworks Settings:
- Camera + lens on support ( Tripod ) with shutter release cable (or timer mode) and flash off
- Focal length depend on your composition
- Set camera to the lowest ISO
- Set to M mode, aperture values from f8 to f16, blub mode expose from 2sec to 8 sec or slower with the help of black card
- Set to Manual focus and focus lock on anything far away
- Use hotshoe Spirit Level to level your horizon (optional)
- Adjust the above settings with some test exposures before the fireworks begin

guys.. i still need more hint... give me some ideas which settings can give me good results... i dun want to end up with something under exposed. or over exposed..

there are many types of fireworks shots:

if you want the 'magic dust" effect, use f8/f10
207739831_08246057ee.jpg

if you want your fireworks to be of fine lines and streaks of light, use a smaller aperture.
fine line fireworks, photo provided by axisofjustice.

Well guys thanks for the tups.. those who have more tips keep posting :p
Just a Hint where the Fireworks will be fired. herd is at Singaore River Waterfront, overherd from one of the esplanade staffs who is mending the wish counter. There will be 2 Episodes of Fireworks. at

10pm is a 1min of fireworks

and at

12mn is a 8mins of fireworks

hehe.. so happy have the 1 mins coz at least can test shot and evaluate on the spot which settings to stay with for the 12mn fireworks

who's going to shoot fireworks this NYE?

easy... get a camera with firework mode or scene. :thumbsup:

ok back to serious matter. So many people have given their view, what more are you still looking at? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.