Fireworks shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklim

Jan 4, 2006
Bukit Timah
Hi,

I'll be trying to shoot fireworks for the 1st time with my 350D and kit lens (ef-s 18-55mm). I would like to know how to set my focus to infinity as i cant see any inverted "8" sign on my lens ? Anyone can help ??

And is the kit lens enough for 1st time fireworks shooting ? :D

Thanks,
Mark

NO lah, must get the most expensive lenses and stuff!!..;)

Of course the kit lens is sufficient, depending on how you take it. The key is to find the right exposure.

Sorry, i don't use 350D, but camera functions are quite similiar. Switched to manual focus, and adjust the focus dial. Usually for infinity, it's at the end of the turn.

If i'm not wrong, it has a 8 sign right ?

Btw, is there any chance that my kit lens might not have infinity ?

can't find anything useful. lolz. but i saw some reviews of the kit lens. i think it says that it is able to focus to infinity. nvm. i'll post a new thread asking for help bout the lens. thanks anyway.

rgds,
mark

Usually shoot fire works at what f/stop and shutter speed best? :)

sgfriend said:
Usually shoot fire works at what f/stop and shutter speed best? :)

In short:

Bigger F/stops... F5.6, F4... etc, 'bigger/thicker' fireworks, vice versa
Shutter... put to Bulb; 5-10 sec... actually, it's up to individual... no right, no wrong
Focus... Manual; set to infinity

Techniques, if any... http://forums.clubsnap.org/search.php;)

i rememer seeing a thread in clubsnap about where to shoot fireworks attatched with a map. it shows the location of the place we should stand and where we should shoot from and where is the firing point of the fireworks. anyone have the link to that thread ? or is it removed? :dunno:

well most people are going to the ECP bridge to shoot.

The River Hong Bao 2006 Celebrations firing point will be from the
open space opposite the Ritz Carlton. This is the same firing site as the
recent New Year’s Eve fireworks.

marklim said:
If i'm not wrong, it has a 8 sign right ?

Btw, is there any chance that my kit lens might not have infinity ?
Where got no infinity focus?

Just set lens to MF. Turn the focus ring all the way to the end. At infinity, the buildings in the distance will be in focus. If they are not, you're at the wrong end. And I have a 350D as well. Trust me, the "infinity" symbol is there.

Set aperture to f/11. Maybe a 2" exposure is just nice. Too long and you get a whole mess of light.

marklim said:
it shows the location of the place we should stand and where we should shoot from and where is the firing point of the fireworks. anyone have the link to that thread ? or is it removed? :dunno:

wah,so chim ah.
I think how we stand and direction (feng shui) will determine the outcome of the pic.:bsmilie:

philliptan said:

Just set lens to MF. Turn the focus ring all the way to the end. At infinity, the buildings in the distance will be in focus. If they are not, you're at the wrong end. And I have a 350D as well. Trust me, the "infinity" symbol is there.

Set aperture to f/11. Maybe a 2" exposure is just nice. Too long and you get a whole mess of light.

That is 1 method. Another is the black card technique. Do read up. For that, your cam should have bulb mode. I am pretty sure the 350D has.

Anyway, I read there is 17 days of fireworks. If it does not work, go another day!

philliptan said:

btw.. i'm using the kit lens ef-s 18-55mm. can't seem to find any logo there. u sure your lens have the logo ? :dunno:

philliptan said:
Paiseh, paiseh... look at wrong lens liao... turn all the way to the left (looking from behind viewfinder) for infinity.

lol. ok. thanks

Just curious. :embrass:

I notice from the firework shots in this forum, some of them really showed the actual color of the fireworks and some are not just normal bright light. why is this so ?:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.