Fireworks Setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
Hi
I'm thinking of shooting the NDP fireworks using the Pentax istDL.
The ones I tried to take ath National Stadium NDP rehearsal was much less than ideal with blurred images for all shots.
I noticed there is a fireworks/night mode. Is this the best setting to use or do you have recommended personal settings instead?

I've always assumed for night shots, set ISO to as high as possible (800-1600), open up the aperture to F2.8 or better but I have since other sampe shots using F8 or F11 with 2-4 second exposure. I wonder how these manage to catch the fireworks properly since they normal blow up in 1-2 seconds.

Any advice is appreciated.

airconvent said:
Hi
I'm thinking of shooting the NDP fireworks using the Pentax istDL.
The ones I tried to take ath National Stadium NDP rehearsal was much less than ideal with blurred images for all shots.
I noticed there is a fireworks/night mode. Is this the best setting to use or do you have recommended personal settings instead?

I've always assumed for night shots, set ISO to as high as possible (800-1600), open up the aperture to F2.8 or better but I have since other sampe shots using F8 or F11 with 2-4 second exposure. I wonder how these manage to catch the fireworks properly since they normal blow up in 1-2 seconds.

Any advice is appreciated.
To avoid blur images, shutter speed should be at least 1 / (focal lengthx1.5 crop), eg. 1/30s at 18mm and 1/90s at 55mm.

Other people in the stadium may be using a monopod or partially opened tripod to be able to use exposures of several seconds with ISO 100-200.

For firework, make sure to use a steady tripod. You'll need to set the camera to B mode, disable the in camera noise remove setting, use a cable release, ISO to 200, aperture sets to 11 to 18 (smaller number, thinner firework traces), just count the time span as 4 to 8 seconds as you wish while keep pressing the suttle button on the cable release, then wish all the best would come out :D

A couple of firework shots to share (taken during CNY):

IMGP9084_small.jpg

IMGP9055_small.jpg

IMGP9063_small.jpg

I'd be there on the bridge this Saturday along with a couple of friends to shoot the fireworks. Maybe you guys wanna join too ;)

Cheers and happy shooting.

hi guy

maybe can organise an outing this NDP to shoot the fire work. what you all think

cheer

fengwei said:
For firework, make sure to use a steady tripod. You'll need to set the camera to B mode, disable the in camera noise remove setting, use a cable release, ISO to 200, aperture sets to 11 to 18 (smaller number, thinner firework traces), just count the time span as 4 to 8 seconds as you wish while keep pressing the suttle button on the cable release, then wish all the best would come out :D

what is the reason to disable the in camera noise remove setting?
where can we get the cable release for DL? how do we connect it?

Thanks oh and feng wei
How much does a Pentax cable release cost and where can I buy it.
I was at Peninsula and Funan but had no luck finding one..

lizzy said:
what is the reason to disable the in camera noise remove setting?
where can we get the cable release for DL? how do we connect it?

'Cause the noise remove will delay your shooting, you'd miss a lot if you have it enabled :)

For the cable release, you can get the one for Canon 300D/350D. Someone selling it here:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=208233

Just get this one: RS-60E3 - $20
It's exactly the same as the one for Pentax dSLR camera :D

airconvent said:
Thanks oh and feng wei
How much does a Pentax cable release cost and where can I buy it.
I was at Peninsula and Funan but had no luck finding one..

See above ...

cool ...do you mean the cable release is standard for most cameras?
thanks...ordering now..hope can get it in time for fireworks festival!

ps I just checked the cable release socket and its very small (not the standard audio connector). The one in the picture seems quite big. Can you confirm its really compatible? Thanks!

fengwei said:
'Cause the noise remove will delay your shooting, you'd miss a lot if you have it enabled :)

For the cable release, you can get the one for Canon 300D/350D. Someone selling it here:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=208233

Just get this one: RS-60E3 - $20
It's exactly the same as the one for Pentax dSLR camera :D

thanks for the info! going to get one... :D

airconvent said:
cool ...do you mean the cable release is standard for most cameras?
thanks...ordering now..hope can get it in time for fireworks festival!

ps I just checked the cable release socket and its very small (not the standard audio connector). The one in the picture seems quite big. Can you confirm its really compatible? Thanks!

Don't worry, just get it. If not working, blame me ;) Or I'd take it for what you pay for :bsmilie:

airconvent said:

It works, I use the Canon RS-60E3 cable release on my DS.

ok..ok...thanks for the reassurances...heh heh
I already arranged to collect from him next week...
cheers:D

airconvent said:
ok..ok...thanks for the reassurances...heh heh
I already arranged to collect from him next week...
cheers:D

If you are coming to the firework show on Saturday night, you can try out mine ;) I got two here (a DIY one, and a third party one like you are buying :))

I'll be shooting the fireworks on the bridge by the Durians ...

Cheers,

thanks feng wei
I am helping out in a public astronomy observation session at Ting Bahru park this Sat...if any of you can , do drop by. if the clouds are not in the way, I can show you all Jupiter.
Otherwise happy fireworking...

Hi
I noticed that CYOH recommended 1/30 sec exposure for at 18mm but Feng Wei recommended 4-8 secs at F11. So which method is better suited for fireworks here? Or it it selected based on the effect desired. I can see how the images turned out using 4-8 secs but any sample images for the 1/30 sec exposures? I suspect the fireworks would consist of very thin and dim lines?

airconvent said:
Hi
I noticed that CYOH recommended 1/30 sec exposure for at 18mm but Feng Wei recommended 4-8 secs at F11. So which method is better suited for fireworks here? Or it it selected based on the effect desired. I can see how the images turned out using 4-8 secs but any sample images for the 1/30 sec exposures? I suspect the fireworks would consist of very thin and dim lines?

for me 2-8s is ideal... 1/30 is too fast to capture the full trail of a firework.. all you get is that little burst ;)

IMO, the fireworks are bright enough to show up on your picture irregardless of settings.
(Quoting my friend, they are like flashes).
For me, it's more of how much of the fireworks you want to capture on your picture.
And how long you want the streaks to be.

I would liken the fireworks to be like a painter drawing in mid-air.
Expose for as long as you want to put the canvas on the moving brush.

airconvent said:
Hi
1/30s is for handheld without tripod, no IS will help with long exposures of several seconds. 4-8 seconds is for camera on tripod.

Here is a shot taken at SFF 04. ISO 400, f11, 6s.

92122146_3b9d3d2d17_o.jpg

Thanks for clarifications, all!
I have another question. Previously I used my Panasonic Lumix FZ5 (with stabilisation) to take some fireworks but the camera always also capture th smoke from the previous burst.
I don't see any of it in your pictures here...how did you get rid of the smoke trails?
Thanks and have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.