Fireworks on 23 July at Marina Bay

robinlow88

Jan 3, 2011
Boston
I'm interested to go shoot the fireworks and NDP before it gets too crowded at the promenade.

Any suggestions would be great, and anyone want to some along? Its open to all cameras, point and shoot, sLR, DSLR, medium format, RF...

I just loaded a roll of 120 FP4 ISO 125 on the 645AFD, so probably not shooting fireworks with B&W...

Robin

I am interested..But where u wanna to take..

Too late, promenade is already crowded during the past rehearsals.
Would be fun to checkout your end result with film but I will be hiding somewhere else shooting (maybe my bed).

want to shoot sunset as well, and interested to be on the Merlion side.

Anyone interested in joining, please let me know.

I'd probably be meeting after dinner around 6+

It would be extremly crowdd like no tomorrow lej...... how to shoot?

Advance choping the place..or camping there..haha

No need chop place. Last week I reach around 5 plus still got many slot near the water front and no sun and breeze us blowing from your back towards Esplande.

I was planning to meet at 6pm at the Merlion to find good spots to shoot.

And make sure have dinner before that so can wait till fireworks.

Anyone interested?

Robin

i think i will join also, 6pm is good

shud have lots of places to shoot from, no?
anyway i went 2 weeks ago and there were lots of empty spaces.. go early, catch everything from the Red lions, aerial displays etc... shudnt be a long wait for the fireworks if theres a group there =) can chit chat...

for the past few weekends, the skies were in brilliant colours! so makes for perfect shooting opportunity! hope this week stays the same =)

Hi. Is it better to shoot fireworks with my 10-20mm wide lens or my 18-105 kit lens?

Thanks

either booth is ok since your f is going to be more the 5.6. maybe 10-20mm will give you a better advantage since it give you a wider coverage.

ecurbw said:
Hi. Is it better to shoot fireworks with my 10-20mm wide lens or my 18-105 kit lens?

Thanks

Depends on where you shoot and whether you want to have a small fireworks in the middle of the cityscape or just zoom into the fireworks itself.
Different style, different lens.

I have only my 35mm and 50mm here in Singapore so going to bring em' both on 2 full frame bodies. How low does the fireworks go? Do you think I can get the Marina Bay sands and fireworks with a 35mm?

I have a medium format film with a 80mm too.

I gave up shooting fireworks(NDP SFF etc) since 2 yrs back. Might be bringing a friend to teach her how to shoot fireworks tomorrow.. Just wondering if this place Promontory @ Marina Bay is still accessible as before? I saw photos of NDP fireworks this year, mostly from clifford pier and esplanade bridge.... Or issit now call the "promonade"??? thanks...

Robin, your 35mm should be able to cover the MBS if shot from the Promenade. Yes, that patch of green near Clifford Pier is the one.
Only issue to note is that you won't be able to cover the water reflection as the fireworks is about x2 of Esplanade.
Don't give up on fireworks man, every shot be it crap or art is always different from the person besides you.
Just avoid Esplanade bridge as downwind is towards it.

Anyone going to meet up who wants my contact number, please PM me tonight.

Otherwise meetup at the BIG merlion at 6pm.

I'm the guy with 1Ds and 5D

IMO, the fireworks is quite high this year. The merlion may be too close to the launch pad unless u have a UWA lens. Furthermore, the Chinnok (big chopper) going very near the sea level creates lots of wind and water vapour near the merlion. Do bring something to protect your gears.

5942958725_e68b14af0b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Robin, your 35mm should be able to cover the MBS if shot from the Promenade. Yes, that patch of green near Clifford Pier is the one.
Only issue to note is that you won't be able to cover the water reflection as the fireworks is about x2 of Esplanade.
Don't give up on fireworks man, every shot be it crap or art is always different from the person besides you.
Just avoid Esplanade bridge as downwind is towards it.

Thanks for the info!! I gave up not becos I got crappy fireworks.. Have been to all the Singapore firework festivals and I got quite alot of decent ones too.. but just tired of it and switching to other types of photography hahaha.. Just very lazy to go chope place and wait so long plus squeeze with people hahahah... but I will be going today and I managed to gather my few kakis that went with me last time... so.. happy shooting everyone! enjoy...

Last edited:
Lets meet there at 6pm, and probably can move if not too crowded.

At Sands, you may miss out on the light show. :(