Fireworks Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
Okay, too many fireworks threads/pictures floating around. I've had a look, and here are some general comments.

In no way is this intending to be some kind of masterclass, I've fobbed enough fireworks pictures myself. But take this as individual comments in the threads that I've grouped together into one general fireworks comment post.

[1] You guys are *very* lucky to get the amount and type of fireworks you had. Take my word on this. Anyone saw the opening and closing ceremonies of the Commonwealth Games?

[2] In general, I thought the fireworks pictures fell into two groups. Too tight, and too loose.

[3] Too tight: Personally anyway, a close up shot of a set of fireworks against a black sky do absolutely nothing for me. A bit like shooting a sunset by itself for the sake of the sunset.

[4] Too loose: All the stadium type shots I saw could have been cropped in at least 20%. Some by drastically more. And the anchoring subject (the stadium) tended to be very boring as well. Granted I know there's not a lot you can do with a static subject at night, but you can do better than placing it slap bang in the middle of the frame as was the case most of the time. And in case it got lost in the words, I'll say it again, go in tighter!

[5] I've had a look at the Straits Times fireworks pics, not the rest. While some of them are not the best, some of them are quite nice. I know they got better positions, and to a much lesser extent better gear (much lesser because 1. gear doesn't matter that much esp. for fireworks and 2. CS these days is full of people with the latest DSLRs and AF-S/L glass anyway), but no offence to anyone who's posted pics but I'd pick their shots over what I've seen the rest post; just something to work towards anyway.

Like I said, I've messed up my fair share of fireworks so I know it's not the easiest thing is the world, but in my humble opinion we should be striving towards better quality than what Clubsnap is currently producing.

Exception to this comment: Mikey, who posted pics taken on 27/07. I *like* your stuff. One or two exposure problems, but the frames well utilised, the fireworks look dynamic.

Disclaimer: I've seen most of the pics from threads active in the last 24 hours, but might have missed a thread or two. And I've not looked at most of the threads from before this time.

Jed, I'm sure many of us here are truly indebted to you for the invaluable technical and compositional guidance in your fireworks article. Many of the fireworks newbies here who were attempting these pics for the first time (like me) probably wouldn't have known what to do at all were it not for your expert tips. Thanks very much indeed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hiya Midnight, thanks for the feedback. I'm not particularly flying at the moment myself not having had the most sterling of fireworks shoots at the C'wealth myself, but I was just adding my $0.02 to what I'd seen from the forum. Hope it was of some use to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.