Fireworks (background : Buildings @Raffles place + Shenton Way) Boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

Apr 12, 2005
Haha. Too much fireworks posted in this forum recently already.

Camera : Nikon Coolpix 5700
No. of pictures : 10
Taken : 6th Feb 2006 (5 pictures) and 7th Feb 2006 (5 pictures)

On 6th Feb (first 5 pictures), I was shooting from the right side of the fireworks and therefore got reasonable background. However, the over-stacking of fireworks caused quite a no. of the shots to be over-exposed in some areas.

On 7th Feb, I moved left from where I shot on the day before but the fireworks blocked too much of the background.

Apparently, the fireworks would avoid the background buildings if I move right from the place where I shot on the 1st night. However, the fireworks overall patterns would not be evident if shoot from so far right.

Critiques are most welcome and much appreciated. Thanks! .

Picture 1
dscn0026a533frame.jpg

Picture 2
dscn0021b533frame.jpg

Picture 3
dscn0022a533frame.jpg

Picture 4
dscn0024a533frame.jpg

Picture 5
dscn0025a533frame.jpg

To be continued .....pictures 6-10

Picture 6
dscn0001a533frame.jpg

Picture 7 (kind of small but trying to vary the scene a little to avoid boredom)
dscn0002a533frame.jpg

Picture 8 (Background got seriously blocked by fireworks)
dscn0003a533frame.jpg

Picture 9 (some breathing space for the background when the fireworks are not dense).
dscn0004a533frame.jpg

Picture 10 (Finally, the sky is clearing for the background as the last fireworks drew to a close).
dscn0005a533frame.jpg

The end. Thanks for viewing.

hmmm ... i would say the fireworks are nicely taken, but framing the fireworks such that they overlap the buildings in the background totally is absolutely no-no for me :) because the cityscape in the background is definitely significant in the frame

eikin said:
hmmm ... i would say the fireworks are nicely taken, but framing the fireworks such that they overlap the buildings in the background totally is absolutely no-no for me :) because the cityscape in the background is definitely significant in the frame

Haha. No disagreement with you that it's bad that the background was being blocked by the fireworks. That was why I tried to get a better position on the 2nd day. However, I was pretty late for the fireworks on the 2nd day and had to settle down there just moments before the fireworks started in hope of catching something instead of returning home totally empty handed.

Apparently, I have to find a better position to shoot from if I were to shoot again.

I was wondering it was just me having the same thoughts. Really appreciate you taking the trouble to give me some valuable feedback.

Contrary to what have been mentioned, I think the photos captured are uniquely different and can be appreciated. Seeing the fireworks potrayed at such altitude with reference to the skyline potrays a certain dynamism of the display, in comparison to the usual framing that can be commonly seen. Great works and thx for sharing :)

hello...
i guess somehow you intended to capture the fireworks and landscape nicely.
hope you dont mind me sharing this pic with you. this is an attempt i tried last year with my cp4500. concept wise, very similar with yours :)

ndp05.jpg

y0ngcheng said:
hello...
hope you dont mind me sharing this pic with you. this is an attempt i tried last year with my cp4500. concept wise, very similar with yours :)

ndp05.jpg
Wow.. ghost!! MIA so long suddenly appear :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: where is the photo taken? On the boat?

xaer said:
Contrary to what have been mentioned, I think the photos captured are uniquely different and can be appreciated. Seeing the fireworks potrayed at such altitude with reference to the skyline potrays a certain dynamism of the display, in comparison to the usual framing that can be commonly seen. Great works and thx for sharing :)

Thanks for sharing your view.

Yes, I was trying to shoot the fireworks from a perspective not presented recently in this forum. However, it wasn't a total success as I'm bothered by background buildings being largely covered by the fireworks in some of the pictures. The Picture 1 and 10 look better to me as the background buildings weren't covered so much. Picture 5 and 9 aren't too bad. The rest look pretty bad.

If only I could be nearer or the fireworks higher .......... :(

y0ngcheng said:
hello...

ndp05.jpg

Yes, I was trying to see if I could frame the fireworks directly above the Benjamin Sheares bridge, with Raffles place on the left and Esplanade on the right.

When I looked at the map, it seemed that it would not be possible if the fireworks were fired too far left and/or too low and possible only if the fireworks were fired from a barge in the river (just like they did in New Year and National Day) or high enough.

Anyway, I proceeded to Tanjong Rhu to recce the place so that I would know where to take from in the future when the fireworks are fired from a barge in the river.

It seems that the fireworks in your picture were fired very high up or nearer?

GOMUS said:
:thumbsup: where is the photo taken? On the boat?

I don't think it's possible from a boat because it will be too shaky as the boat wavers to the whims and fancy of the water.

I don't know whether you're asking me or YongCheng. Mine was taken from Tanjong Rhu. I guess his was probably from the same place. Check out the map below. You would have to walk at least 15-20 minutes on a very dark path along the coast before you cold get a good view of the Benjamin Sheares Bridge and Raffles Place. So must bring a powerful torch light and it's better to travel with some companion. I used my mountain bike to cycle in and it still took nearly 10 minutes. I think you probably would need to walk about 30 minutes before you could reach the end.

http://sd5.streetdirectory.sg/singaporemap/singaporemap.php?ismap=1&starmode=0&building=Marina%20Bayfront&x=30666.0518&y=30351.1483&star=1&iconlist=star1,30666.0518,30351.1483;&searchcompany=&searchunitno=&searchblock=2&searchstreetname=Raffles+Link&searchbuildingname=Marina+Bayfront&searchpostalcode=039392&searchmasterid=29&searchbuildingid=5405&level=3?214,309

Status
Not open for further replies.