FIREWORKS ALERT: 17 Days Of Fireworks At Esplanade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one of the pictures that I captured from the bridge between esplanade and merlion.

20060131003104_img_3033.jpg

Make sure you reach there by 9.00pm, after that it becomes too crowded to get a descent location to place your tripod :). The fireworks starts exactly at 9.30pm. I used my Canon 350D with the following settings: 17-40 f/4 lens switched to manual mode with AF switched off. Focused at infinity with apperture f/9 and 1.6 sec exposure. Once you have the sky in front you covered, you dont have have to look into your eyepiece, just enjoy the fireworks and keep clicking like crazy....;) You are sure to get some good shots.

EOS350D said:
Here is one of the pictures that I captured from the bridge between esplanade and merlion.

Make sure you reach there by 9.00pm, after that it becomes too crowded to get a descent location to place your tripod :). The fireworks starts exactly at 9.30pm. I used my Canon 350D with the following settings: 17-40 f/4 lens switched to manual mode with AF switched off. Focused at infinity with apperture f/9 and 1.6 sec exposure. Once you have the sky in front you covered, you dont have have to look into your eyepiece, just enjoy the fireworks and keep clicking like crazy... You are sure to get some good shots.

This one is up lah!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Postcard quality leh!

EOS350D said:
Make sure you reach there by 9.00pm, after that it becomes too crowded to get a descent location to place your tripod :). The fireworks starts exactly at 9.30pm. I used my Canon 350D with the following settings: 17-40 f/4 lens switched to manual mode with AF switched off. Focused at infinity with apperture f/9 and 1.6 sec exposure. Once you have the sky in front you covered, you dont have have to look into your eyepiece, just enjoy the fireworks and keep clicking like crazy....;) You are sure to get some good shots.

those are super information! must try your tips when i go take tomorrow ;)

EOS350D said:

I also wanted to buy the 17-40 but currently not enough cash until i start working. I use my 28-300 for fireworks but sometimes i think 28mm is not wide enough on my film body. Usually for fireworks i use M mode and set it at a shutter speed of 4secs and aperture at f8 or f11. Lens itself also set to M and focus at infinity.

redstone said:
Can anyone adivise the ISO, aperture and shutter speed settings for fireworks?

Thanks!

I'll be going these few days hopefully. :)

Lowest ISO setting that your camera allows... 50, 100?
Aperture... depends. Bigger aperture (F4-5.6 = bigger/thicker trails, F8-11 = thinner)
Shutter... put on Bulb mode... again depends... anything from 2-8 seconds for a start

Not forgetting the most important gear to bring along... tripod with cable release or self timer.

Regards

yyD70S said:
Lowest ISO setting that your camera allows... 50, 100?
Aperture... depends. Bigger aperture (F4-5.6 = bigger/thicker trails, F8-11 = thinner)
Shutter... put on Bulb mode... again depends... anything from 2-8 seconds for a start

Not forgetting the most important gear to bring along... tripod with cable release or self timer.

Regards

Definitely not self timer as by the time u set the timer, the moment is gone.

redstone said:
Can anyone adivise the ISO, aperture and shutter speed settings for fireworks?

Thanks!

I'll be going these few days hopefully. :)

ISO at 400. Aperture f8 or 11. Shutter speed not exceeding 4 seconds.

As said earlier that a tripod and a cable release is a must as well as pressing the shutter button on the camera may cause camera shake. U may want to use mirror lockup if available.

If you are using a camera that are able to set shutter speed yet does not have a remote.
I got a trick.
Set to the longest shutter speed.
Before pressing your shutter cover your lens with your hand or a black card.
Upon pressing the shutter, stable the camera
Remove your hand/black card. cover back when the fireworks get too big or before the next one fire.
A mini bulb mode :bsmilie:

wah...i learnt alot from the seasoned fireworks shooters here.:devil:

blurrblurr said:
If you are using a camera that are able to set shutter speed yet does not have a remote.
I got a trick.
Set to the longest shutter speed.
Before pressing your shutter cover your lens with your hand or a black card.
Upon pressing the shutter, stable the camera
Remove your hand/black card. cover back when the fireworks get too big or before the next one fire.
A mini bulb mode :bsmilie:

This is called multiple exposure for DSLRs. For film SLRs, can use the multiple exposure function but usually i never use it at all.

Ya is known as multi exposure. But after I cover back the camera I never let it exposure again till my next click. It is useful for those without blub mode P&S camera
My FZ5 8 sec max only not enough time to do multi exposure. My methods works for no remote camera. so use hand as remote. Desperate yet need to take shots. :bsmilie:

blurrblurr said:
Ya is known as multi exposure. But after I cover back the camera I never let it exposure again till my next click. It is useful for those without blub mode P&S camera
My FZ5 8 sec max only not enough time to do multi exposure. My methods works for no remote camera. so use hand as remote. Desperate yet need to take shots. :bsmilie:

8secs is more than enough to take fireworks. I've experimented using 6 secs and it became overexposed at f8. So now it's 4secs at f8 or 11.

So many things to learn here.:embrass:
Anyone want to teach me shoot firework?

The best way to learn, apart from these forums, is to actually try it yourself and learn as you go along. Furthermore, at 'those locations', you won't be the only one shooting fireworks. Ask around, share a few tips (not forgetting a few drinks but don't get tipsy before the actual event)... way to go:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.