Firewire cable extender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericp

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know where I can buy or get fabricated a firewire cable extender ?

I'm playing with tethered shooting, and the longest cable I can find now is only 2m, which is a bit restrictive. 4-5m would be much better, so I'm either looking for an extender (ie. male on one end, female on the other, 6 pins), or better yet, someone who can fabricate a new cable to a custom length.

Thanks !
Eric

Just to ask, where can you find this Firewire cable extender?

I can't even find one on the current market... :(

I don't know if it even exists, that's why I'm asking here :)

I'm only guessing because I've seen USB extenders ... I've been to some shops in Sim Lim, and most of them have custom LAN, serial, etc cables, but not for IEEE1394.

Maybe my other option is to just strap my laptop to my back while I'm shooting tethered :bsmilie:

Seriously ... I sincerely hope that someone who reads this thread may have come across this and can provide a lead.

ericp said:
I don't know if it even exists, that's why I'm asking here :)

I'm only guessing because I've seen USB extenders ... I've been to some shops in Sim Lim, and most of them have custom LAN, serial, etc cables, but not for IEEE1394.

Maybe my other option is to just strap my laptop to my back while I'm shooting tethered :bsmilie:

Seriously ... I sincerely hope that someone who reads this thread may have come across this and can provide a lead.

I think you mean repeaters, yes they do exist. here:
http://devicebaystuff.com/belkin/f5u526.html

Also, according to the IEEE1394 specs, node-to-node should not exceed 4.5meters. This also means that a physical cable cannot exceed this distance, else the signal will suffer attenuation. So this means that cable of up to 4.5meters do exist (technically at least). =)

hope this helps. =)

Thanks karwing & acidboi, that really helps. Another visit to SLS is in order ! (and sounds like I went to the wrong shops !)

I've done a bit of searching on the net, and apparently the specification only supports a max length of 15 ft or about 5m, but that's good enough for me ... much better than 2m !

go to funan. There's a shop on the third floor i think, near swensens or something that does custom cables. Ask around the information desk, they should know

welcome, what acidboi mentioned is also true, there are 10m cables on sale at some websites too.

Wah... so expensive!
Anyway, does these shops sell 6/6 pin cables?

SNAG, I think the 6/6pin cables are easy to find, especially the shorter lengths. I bought mine (6/4pin, 2m) for about $12 at PK Computer.

Wai, in my search on the net, saw a few adapters available (just google "firewire cable"), but didn't take too much notice as my needs were for the longer cable or a female/female adapter (to join 2 cables together). Good point about SLT, maybe worth a look there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.