Firewall - Alarm Zone 2009, F.R.E.E :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensasi

For those who are looking for firewall... just sharing this free info..

For limited time only... register asap to get the download link emailed to you.

here's the link to register
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/sum/index.html?c=W100001

It comes with 1 yr subscription
You got less than 5 hrs left....

For tech support, pls click on the support tab on the web :)

Last edited:
It's Zone Alarm lah..title abit misleading.
Thanks for the link, btw.:)

you got the info from today's Digital Life? Quite gd... the 100 tips, never knew can play tetris on Terminal...lol.

Zone Alarm beri good!

Thanks for sharing Sensasi! :thumbsup:

Zone Alarm beri good!

Thanks for sharing Sensasi! :thumbsup:

It used to be good...years ago. It is bloatware just like Norton now. Resource hog only second to Norton.

If you are running older PCs with minimum ram to about average like 1gig. It steals CPU cycle too. You can see your system slowing down quite a bit depending on what OS you use and/or software you are running. A more modern fast system might be able to handle the hog load but slower systems will for sure slow down. Time it for yourself heheh...

I would advise at the very least you ear-mark a restoration point in your windows before you install it..unless you have an uninstaller program to monitor how it Zone alarm install itself and integrate itself into your system file and registry. Because when you uninstall it..it can leave a lot of stuff in your system which might continue to hog your computation resources. By doing a restore point at least after you uninstall it, you can get back to a restoration point earlier then the time you did the installation of this software firewall.

Most router for your network or internet modem router already has a hardware firewall. It is a lot better then software firewall which is still hackable if you don't update it regularly, you can't screw a hardware type which is hard wired.

I am happy with just using Windows' build in firewall. Just a bit of tweaking will make it better ( in any case you need to tweak the zone alarm s/w too) It is also about how you surf the web and how you deal with virus, spam..etc. Firewall does not protect you against your mistake when you accidentally activate a virus in a email and it is already behind the firewall..... then it is too late.

Last edited:
It used to be good...years ago. It is bloatware just like Norton now. Resource hog only second to Norton.

If you are running older PCs with minimum ram to about average like 1gig. It steals CPU cycle too. You can see your system slowing down quite a bit depending on what OS you use and/or software you are running. A more modern fast system might be able to handle the hog load but slower systems will for sure slow down. Time it for yourself heheh...

I would advise at the very least you ear-mark a restoration point in your windows before you install it..unless you have an uninstaller program to monitor how it Zone alarm install itself and integrate itself into your system file and registry. Because when you uninstall it..it can leave a lot of stuff in your system which might continue to hog your computation resources. By doing a restore point at least after you uninstall it, you can get back to a restoration point earlier then the time you did the installation of this software firewall.

Most router for your network or internet modem router already has a hardware firewall. It is a lot better then software firewall which is still hackable if you don't update it regularly, you can't screw a hardware type which is hard wired.

I am happy with just using Windows' build in firewall. Just a bit of tweaking will make it better ( in any case you need to tweak the zone alarm s/w too) It is also about how you surf the web and how you deal with virus, spam..etc. Firewall does not protect you against your mistake when you accidentally activate a virus in a email and it is already behind the firewall..... then it is too late.

How ... to ... do ... that?

How ... to ... do ... that?

Go to the START button on the bottom left. Click and get to PROGRAM then to Accessories and then expand out to SYSTEM TOOLS and then select SYSTEM RESTORE.

This will open up the RESTORE application.

You have 3 options here. Choose "Create a restore point". If you want to know more there is some details on the left side of the application options. So give it a good read.

By creating the restore point it remembers a number of things like what setting certain s/w you have installed in your system and how certain setting you have set up XP..etc.

The Window OS periodically will do it's own restore point as you will soon see if you choose the option " Restore my computer to an earlier time" It will show you a calendar that tells you what restore points are available to you.

I like this feature as I will use this sometime when I have uninstall a few software or something has made my system abit unstable...( including come spy or spam attack that might have compromise some portion of XP..etc) It does not fix all problem but it will at least allow me to get back to a point in time my PC was alot "lighter" and "fresher" heheh... as you install more stuff to your system and uninstall them....you collect a lot of junks stuff and uninstall programs that comes with some games and application are not clever at removing everything... and this means alot of useless codes that is still run through by windows and this well...will slow your system down. So you can "rejuvenate" your PC abit just by doing a system restore every 6 months or so.

But as I say it is not a cure all but it is handy as one of the first line of defend.

A system restore will not delete any of your DATA files...so not to worry...or you can back it up to CD first if it makes you feel better. But in any case backing up to CD is always good practice.

Once you have done a restore point... then go ahead and install and try this Zone Alarm. If it slows your system down after running it for a week or so......( some will notice it and some will not...I know I do as I run test on my system heheh ) then you just uninstall zone alarm and then you use SYSTEM RESTORE to go back to a point before you installed zone alarm.

Last edited:
HOKAY!

Thanks for that sharing Sammy! :kiss::lovegrin::heart:

I've been using the older Zone Alarm for sometime now, and I can live with the speed when I run CS and stuff, but i do notice that just opening up a picture folder, it takes a long time to generate previews (thumbnails).

Status
Not open for further replies.