Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
A chance to take pics of real firecrackers -

Straits Times said:
FOR THE first time in more than 30 years, firecrackers will be set off in the streets of Chinatown.

Eight big bangers, each with a string of 400 crackers, will be set off at the opening of the Lunar New Year Festival 2004 on Jan 3.

Another six will be lit on the eve of Chinese New Year, on Jan 21. Each string of firecrackers will last for 20 to 30 seconds.

Entire article here - http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,227229,00.html?

Firecracker Dates : January 3rd, 2004 & January 21st 2004.
Exact times to be determined.

sehsuan said:
oddly enough, the specific place wasn't mentioned in the papers :dunno:
I believe it should be under that bridge near Pagoda Street. The one with the pavilions linking to People's Park Centre. The same location was used for the Mid-Autumn lightup this year.

Regards
CK

good chance to shoot something different but confirm very crowded.
which turn me off sometime.

Sounds interesting... wonder where's the exact location they are going to let these go off.

anyone going there? 2 to 3 of us go there can take care one another equipments...

I am going. But need to know the time and exact location. Anyone knows?

Wai said:
Long time never hear firecrackers

anyone hear first time see the real one?

in the 60's, some of the fire crackers are about 7-storey high, (my estimate is about 100 feet at least or even longer) and i remember it will go on for more than an hour non-stop. Used to reside at Chin Swee Road so got chance to see many rich families in Chinatown areas, Singapore river (rich merchants) etc... Those were the days...... Also those many different type of fire-crackers and rockets, etc... so colourful and noisy, very festive like and fun except the accidents from fire-cracking and of course the big Bukit Ho Swee fire!!! (I was watching those fire-engines going past my house for a FEW days!!!) Those days juz went past so fast. Wonder anyone got old pics (maybe from their father's album) to post here.

arthuryeo said:
I am going. But need to know the time and exact location. Anyone knows?
There's a writeup with map in the chinese papers today. The location is specified there. Unfortunately the online version has no graphics. :(

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
There's a writeup with map in the chinese papers today. The location is specified there. Unfortunately the online version has no graphics. :(

Regards
CK

It's over hanging from the overhead pedestrain bridge facing Lucky Chinatown, along New Bridge Road.

wow, sure very very very crowded on the two days... 21 jan reunion dinner leh, alamak ...

lauLEE said:
except the accidents from fire-cracking and of course the big Bukit Ho Swee fire!!! (I was watching those fire-engines going past my house for a FEW days!!!) Those days juz went past so fast. Wonder anyone got old pics (maybe from their father's album) to post here.

Man, you are old ! I stayed around there many years ago but didn't know it was caused by firecracker, thought it was a conspiracy. ;) Yes, I had played with firecracker(xian mi feng, ang pao, rocket and etc ). Very fun, very exciting.

The reasons why firecracker was banned because people threw it at people when they lighted it. The reason why it was banned was like why chewing gum was banned. It was because of inconsiderate people.

ninelives said:
Man, you are old ! I stayed around there many years ago but didn't know it was caused by firecracker, thought it was a conspiracy. ;) Yes, I had played with firecracker(xian mi feng, ang pao, rocket and etc ). Very fun, very exciting.

The reasons why firecracker was banned because people threw it at people when they lighted it. The reason why it was banned was like why chewing gum was banned. It was because of inconsiderate people.

maybe we were neighbour? mi residence is at no 93.
i dont think the fire was casued by fire-cracker. maybe should go down to the High Street Fire station (got an exhibition area) to find out the cause.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,4386,227591,00.html

To kick things off, Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong will officiate at the light-up ceremony this Saturday in front of the Lucky Chinatown mall in New Bridge Road.

Firecrackers will be set off during the opening ceremony as well as on Chinese New Year's Eve.

guess the firecrackers will be set off in the evening...

Status
Not open for further replies.