Fire Works Shooting

Ivshootphoto

Dec 17, 2007
Dear all,

Anyone can recommend the best setting that could capture the Fire works?.
Can share?.

Thank you

Depends.

This was shot at ISO 400
3.2 Second Exposure Time
F 10.0

Then I ended up taking photos of Lightning and Fireworks together, though the fireworks here don't look that good at all.

ISO 200
2.0 Seconds
F 9.0

Those were the settings I used.

Dear all,

Anyone can recommend the best setting that could capture the Fire works?.
Can share?.

Thank you

no such thing as best setting
depending on how much fireworks you wanna capture.

apertures ranging from f8-f16 would be good.
low ISO and bulb mode

f/11
iso100
610de61c3403b9218787773496646733_large.jpg

the most important is to get ther aperture and iso correct. shutter speed will determine how long the streaks of yr fireworks are. very important to get a v steady tripod.

regards,
benjamin

imho, a better fireworks photo should include buildings, landmarks, etc....
Something like this.
This way we will know what this fireworks is for or where it happened. Which in turn "tells" a better story.

The tricky part is to ensure everything fireworks, buildings, etc are all properly exposed especially when the intensity of the fireworks changes....
Preferably minus the smoke from the fireworks also....

Anyone any idea?

Last edited:
imho, a better fireworks photo should include buildings, landmarks, etc....
Something like this.
This way we will know what this fireworks is for or where it happened. Which in turn "tells" a better story.

The tricky part is to ensure everything fireworks, buildings, etc are all properly exposed especially when the intensity of the fireworks changes....
Preferably minus the smoke from the fireworks also....

Anyone any idea?

i agree with your point.
the problem is that thousands and thousands of people also want to watch the fireworks, resulting in huge crowds, and problems with deploying tripod at suitable vantage point :)

I guess there are a number of ways to go about this.
I would spot meter the different lit objects (eg buildings) in my frame, and note down the exposure. What I do is try and figure out the timing of the fireworks ASAP, and keep on firing. Hopefully I get some good captures before the smoke fills the air.
Some people would use black card method, but I feel more comfortable with this way! :)

a shutter release + blub mode + steady tripod, I usually take a few pic before the firework starts to ensure buildings in the picture are properly focused, after I will just hold on to my release, setting most of the time will be F9~F14, ISO 100~200. The shutter time usually will be 3~5sec, depends on the fireworks.

since we are on the topic of fireworks, may i ask how do we prevent the smoke trail in our photos?

i was at the NDP rehearsal yesterday to snap fireworks, but i only managed to get the first burst of fireworks cleanly. the rest of the shots turned out fillled with smoke trails. would the black card help? :dunno:

since we are on the topic of fireworks, may i ask how do we prevent the smoke trail in our photos?

i was at the NDP rehearsal yesterday to snap fireworks, but i only managed to get the first burst of fireworks cleanly. the rest of the shots turned out fillled with smoke trails. would the black card help? :dunno:

Ask the RSAF to use their chinook helicopters to blow away the smoke in between fireworks :bsmilie:

Do a search for "fireworks". This has been discussed to death dozens of times.

smoke trails are unavoidable during continuous fireworks display...
the key is to capture the best pics in the first few shots...

Ask the RSAF to use their chinook helicopters to blow away the smoke in between fireworks :bsmilie:

dude, do you have RSAF's nos for me to call? if not, i dun think your comments were helpful.

Do a search for "fireworks". This has been discussed to death dozens of times.

smoke trails are unavoidable during continuous fireworks display...
the key is to capture the best pics in the first few shots...

okie guys....got it.

Last edited:
coolthought seconded.

fireworks alone is good, but w/ landscape its Great.
you just have to decide which composition and exposure you will prioritized.
carefully plan your shot accordingly to the fireworks.
here's a share from last yr.

3804469082_c7af4f1d2d.jpg

Good luck bro.

dude, do you have RSAF's nos for me to call? if not, i dun think your comments were helpful.

Call the NDP committee better. Ask them not to fire all in one shot. Fire in stages in between so that the smoke can be blown away before the next burst.. Of coz it'll won't be as "shiok".. but the photographers would be shiok.. :bsmilie:

Actually, not sure if anyone actually got feedback or not in previous years. This year's NDP fireworks are actually fired in stages. A few single burst.. then the finale fast and furious.. The photographers shiok, the spectator also shiok..

Think finding a good location is also important . . . :)
using a remote trigger will be good.

Probably places that are near but not near enough to capture the obnoxious smoke.

Places like Tanjung Rhu perhaps? I don't know if it is right, but I think there are some of us who are curious about when to press the shutter on the remote and when to release. Correct me if I am wrong; we open the shutter just before the firework bursts (good estimate is important) and then release it when you know the trail u want to 'trace' is gone.

Hi, i will be going for my first fireworks shoot too. Juz to check, what is the suitable lens for fireworks? Now i only have basic kit lens 18-55, 50mm prime lens and a tele lens 70-300mm.

And going to find a good spot, roughly what time starts to crowd? Dont wish to go too late and miss the good spots.

Hi, i will be going for my first fireworks shoot too. Juz to check, what is the suitable lens for fireworks? Now i only have basic kit lens 18-55, 50mm prime lens and a tele lens 70-300mm.

And going to find a good spot, roughly what time starts to crowd? Dont wish to go too late and miss the good spots.

If you had read this thread, or tried a search for "fireworks" you would have your answers.

1. There is no "suitable lens". ALL LENSES are suitable, it just depends on how wide you want your shot to be.
2. Have you ever been to the Marina Bay area for new years eve or national day? Depending on the rain, the spots along the bridge, merlion, etc tend to get jam-packed with tripods (to reserve the spot) as early as 2-3pm.

well, you already have lenses that covers from wide to tele.
for fireworks, shooting at more than f8, any lens is good.

use which ever in your arsenal depending on your location and how much you wanna capture in your frame.

the usual good spot is the bridge beside One Fullerton, but you'll have to go early and camp there. and do take care of your gears, as it gets real crowded.

given the weather lately, you might wanna consider wet weather plans as well.

just wondering.. does anyone uses ladder for fireworks?

Like.. using ultra high tripod, then stand on ladder to compose.. then no need to go so early and fight for space..