Fire Hydrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

liffeous

May 31, 2007
3097192187_e37a25a71d.jpg

I am pretty new to photography and i like taking obscure objects.

I took this fire hydrant in Delta Road, with my new Oly OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 on E510. I kind of like the number for this one. I was trying to capture the crusty details (uneven surface of the hydrant) on the fire hydrant.

Will it be better to do so with a macro lens close up? (thought i dont have any macro lens as of yet)

I wish to know from experts here about the composition. And most importantly if my technique is wrong or something.

Thanks in advance!

Matter of factly this picture works for me.
Colours stands out, rule of thirds is observed, and you've managed to make the background bokeh-ed such that there aren't distracting elements in there. I don't think a macro lens will do much in creating a better picture for this one. Well, I've never used a true macro lens before either.

Image looks too contrasty, even though it suits my taste. The greens steal attention from the subject as well, and would be more successful in doing so if not for the bokeh.
Good take, but you probably have done too much post processing to it?

Out of curiousity, what's the interest for #41?

on first glance, i felt that the picture didn't suit the title. Yes the picture may have shown a fire hydrant, but the numbers caught my eye first.

would it be better if you took the Whole fire hydrant instead? with an f/1.8 lens you still can play around with depth of field(DOF) at that distance away.

I feel that the crop for this pic is too tight. Would had moved 2-3 steps back...

Matter of factly this picture works for me.
Colours stands out, rule of thirds is observed, and you've managed to make the background bokeh-ed such that there aren't distracting elements in there. I don't think a macro lens will do much in creating a better picture for this one. Well, I've never used a true macro lens before either.

Image looks too contrasty, even though it suits my taste. The greens steal attention from the subject as well, and would be more successful in doing so if not for the bokeh.
Good take, but you probably have done too much post processing to it?

Out of curiousity, what's the interest for #41?

oh 41 was my exam seat number recently haha... was a nice paper too ...

But i guess you are right... the post processing was overdone =(

on first glance, i felt that the picture didn't suit the title. Yes the picture may have shown a fire hydrant, but the numbers caught my eye first.

would it be better if you took the Whole fire hydrant instead? with an f/1.8 lens you still can play around with depth of field(DOF) at that distance away.

ya i will try another one with a full hydrant real soon.

I feel that the crop for this pic is too tight. Would had moved 2-3 steps back...

hmm... i am not too sure, maybe i dint take it well but i did take another one 2-3 steps back but it dint turn out well =(

thank you all for the inputs! =p

Like the rest have mentioned, take a step back, and try not to cut your hydrant's top and sides.

As for the colors, they work for me. Reds and greens form a good blend of contrasts. The hydrant's aim is to stand out for ease of sight, hence, it works.

the nonos:
1) too much pp, the colours are too saturated, but if you intended it to be dramatic, then yes, you'v really succeeded
2) the crop of the shot, all sides are fine with me, EXCEPT the TOP!!! the frame cuts off the top of the hydrant, distracting and, for a picky person like me, i don't like my subject to have weird parts cut off
3) the top left corner has a bit of light coming in (or is it just my eyes and monitor?) haha, distracting lah

the dof is damn good, i like the chain and the effect the bokeh has given it. nice attention to the number on the hydrant too. and i like the colours, very nice feel, chirstmasy (green and red). hahaha.

Suggestion;
You could have taken it top down, while still getting the 41. I believe the hydrant is among a patch of grass, so with the top down at a good angle; would would still get the red vs green AND the full length of the "arms".

Status
Not open for further replies.