Fire extinguisher

code

Jan 9, 2005
Any has one at home? Which ones are for home use? Where and how much do you get one? Thanks

i do have one.. but its for electrical fire if im not wrong. not sure how much it was.. dad was the one who bought it

Any has one at home? Which ones are for home use? Where and how much do you get one? Thanks

There are a couple. Some can double up for home and car usage and are pretty small. You probably can find them in home-fix type stores, petrol kiosks or larger departmental stores.

:)

The one you need is ABC type, it means for type a, b and c fire.
How heavy will depend on the size of your home, you will need it big enough to at least help you make it to the nearest exit.

Liquid CO2, suitable for almost all types of fire and leaves no messy residues.

Buy.
HomeFix or Self Fix or any decent DIY shop sure have.
Never say never (chance of fire breakout when you are there in the home)

The one you need is ABC type, it means for type a, b and c fire.
How heavy will depend on the size of your home, you will need it big enough to at least help you make it to the nearest exit.

also, it must not be too heavy for ur family members to carry.

make sure everyone knows where it is and it is accessible, dont go put up inside cupboard that kids cant reach it.

take some lessons at civil def. centre eg. fire station to know how to operate & where to aim, not knowing where to aim may delay the escape.

note the expiry date.

also, it must not be too heavy for ur family members to carry.

make sure everyone knows where it is and it is accessible, dont go put up inside cupboard that kids cant reach it.

take some lessons at civil def. centre eg. fire station to know how to operate & where to aim, not knowing where to aim may delay the escape.

note the expiry date.

Just to add on further, you should be aware of the class of extinguishers available. It defines the type of fires that it can be used to extinguish.

Class A:SOLIDS such as paper, wood, plastic etc
Class B: FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS such as paraffin, petrol, oil etc
Class C: FLAMMABLE GASES such as propane, butane, methane etc
Class D: METALS such as aluminium, magnesium, titanium etc
Class E: Fires involving ELECTRICAL APPARATUS
Class F: Cooking OIL & FAT etc.

Fire extinguishers are also Colour Coded for type of fires and medium used:

Water - Red
Foam - Cream
Dry Powder - Blue
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) - Black
Halon - Green (now 'illegal' except for a few exceptions such as the Police, Armed Services and Aircraft).

For home use, normally the Blue coloured extinguishers can be use for type A, B, C, E, F fires. It contains a dry powder. Do note that it usually lasts between 1-2 mins of continous discharge, depending on volume of cylinder. NOT much really, importantly is the technique applied.

The "sweeping" technique of spraying over the fire is used to smother the fire. This basically done by sweeping and lopping the powder over the fire. Don't shoot directly on the fire as this will splash and spread the fire, thus worsening the condition. A level head is also required.;)

C02 extinguishers (Black coloured cylinders) might leave no mess as Limsgp mentioned but that is not the best advice. Messing up your home might be the last thing in your mind when a fire breakout. Anyway C02 fires is ONLY effective in an enclosed room where the concentration of the C02 can stunt the fire by depriving it of O2. Usually ONLY used for type E fires - Electrical fires.

And yes fire needs Oxygen+Fuel+Ignition source to occur. Eliminate anyone of those and the fire will die.

Lucky for me, I work in the Petrochem industry and part of my job scope is as a trained Auxilliary Fire Fighter to fight refinery scale fires . I can apply at home if need be.

Importantly if the fire can't be control, evacuate - equiptment and money can be replaced, lives can't.

Last edited:

Not sure what to do.. run and call for help!

The 2 best places for storing fire extinguishers will be a small one just outside the kitchen and a big one in the bedroom. Why the bedroom ?

Because if a fire breaks out in the middle of the night, can one still find the extinguisher among the darkness and chaos in the storeroom ? I'm sure I can't. A big one may enable the house occupants to fight the way from the bedroom to the exit main door.

C02 extinguishers (Black coloured cylinders) might leave no mess as Limsgp mentioned but that is not the best advice. Messing up your home might be the last thing in your mind when a fire breakout. Anyway C02 fires is ONLY effective in an enclosed room where the concentration of the C02 can stunt the fire by depriving it of O2. Usually ONLY used for type E fires - Electrical fires.

And yes fire needs Oxygen+Fuel+Ignition source to occur. Eliminate anyone of those and the fire will die.

From what I'm aware, CO2 is only ineffective for chemical fires, which is not so likely in homes.

And, Fire requires Fuel + Oxygen + Heat. Liquidifed CO2 fire extinguisher, if applied correctly, deprive 2 of the 3, oxygen and heat.

Last edited:
one really important fact is missing
does everyone in your home know the tel number for the civil defense force and ambulance?

Good thread, reminded ppl abt safety.

From what I'm aware, CO2 is only ineffective for chemical fires, which is not so likely in homes.

And, Fire requires Fuel + Oxygen + Heat. Liquidifed CO2 fire extinguisher, if applied correctly, deprive 2 of the 3, oxygen and heat.

Thks bro for the correction. Anyway I'm quoting from the real pro's advice (Fireman) and personal experience. C02 most effective for electrical fire which normally occurs in junction box, electrical equiptment etc.

They trained me to extinguish class A,B,C,E,F fires using Dry Powder and CO2 and observe first hand each type effectiveness. Class D fires, since the type of Dry powder used is expensive, is only done in theory.

On a windy day, C02 extinguishers effectiveness will diminish while using dry powder we will need to constantly orientate ourself up-wind of the fire while discharging. This takes practice and I'm always being trained quarterly.;)

A smoke detector will be useful to give early warning while everyone is asleep and a fire blanket also will be handy in some situation.

Factor in a couple of masks also. If really kena stuck there really is nothing you can do but to delay smoke inhalation. Not the type of gas masks, but those for fires. Usually SCDF can get there in time, but if you inhaled a lot of smoke usually gone case also. Most people die or get injured heavily enough to suffer for years due to smoke.

wow more + more kiasu
add in a fire proof suit + oxygen tank.
be sure to buy a house within 25 metres of the fire station so fire fighters can get there on time - and no excuses of traffic jams holding them up.
Have a rappelling rope so you can escape through the window (don't stay too high storey).

Because if a fire breaks out in the middle of the night, can one still find the extinguisher among the darkness and chaos in the storeroom ? I'm sure I can't. A big one may enable the house occupants to fight the way from the bedroom to the exit main door.

:think: never thought of that.:thumbsup:

the fire mask is only needed if your premises is large
i also saw the presentation

but i feel only the fire extinguisher is needed