Fire at Refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildstallion

Just looked out my window and there is a massive fire, at i think, one of the Jurong refineries

Huge Mushroom cloud (hundreds of feat high)

70562055.jpg

The flame (at least 50ft high)

70562072.jpg

Wide View

70562040.jpg

so this is the fire me looking at just now.
:eek:

Tot some buildings on fire then...
Heehee... *Phew*

i can see this from my place in AMK too. it's still sprouting flames as of this posting.

Dont worry guys... the fire wont cause any damage... That particualar Refinary Company Just letting off some gas from it pipe... thus causing a huge fire....

they not letting off those useable gas... i also dono wat gas izzit.. but from wat i know.. i just some unwanted gas.... and yes.. it not against the law of air pollution...

they not letting off those useable gas... i also dono wat gas izzit.. but from wat i know.. i just some unwanted gas.... and yes.. it not against the law of air pollution...

From my knowledge, its usually gas which a) is above an oilfield and has to be tapped off or burnt in order to prevent an explosion when drilling for oil, or b) in the refining process when extra gas is produced which is not required and is therefore burnt off to prevent pressure build up.

ya.. u are right.... anyway... izzit still burning?? cos i be seeing it during my duty @ Jurong Island... from morning LOL!!!!

an update from my bedroom as of some minutes ago.

guess this is gonna continue for the whole night.

hehe ... ignore the lens flare

DSC_0430.JPG

an update from my bedroom as of some minutes ago.

guess this is gonna continue for the whole night.

hehe ... ignore the lens flare

DSC_0430.JPG

wah.. by exposing for the foregound.. u made the fire look real fierce... :bsmilie:

Once every few months, the oil refineries will do that big purge, causing that huge vertical flame. From my house, I have the full view of the Tuas and Jurong Island area, and I see this every few months. This current huge flame is from Jurong Island, but sometimes you can see another one coming from the Tuas area. Currently, I am working inside the Jurong Island, so I can see that particular tower everyday. There is always flame coming out from it, but most of the time it is just a small flame.

I remember there was once when the Jurong Island and Tuas both lit up on the same night. It was like a huge fire display. I don't even need to switch on my lights to see.

As of now, it is still spouting that huge flame as seen from my office.

If its good enough to burn, its good enough to produce energy. This is wasted. Trouble is the reason they do this is probably because its not 'economically viable' to take the gas and keep it. They make a lot more money from refining and selling the oil than the gas.

One day when all the petroleum in the world has depleted, they will look back at this and weep:cry:

If its good enough to burn, its good enough to produce energy. This is wasted. Trouble is the reason they do this is probably because its not 'economically viable' to take the gas and keep it. They make a lot more money from refining and selling the oil than the gas.

One day when all the petroleum in the world has depleted, they will look back at this and weep:cry:
I'm sure u'll make a fine candidate for Greenpeace. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.