Finishing a long day's work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
3061122986_d9cf25dae2.jpg

Was walking about my neighbourhood in the evening and saw this worker packing up for the day. Shot was rushed so was shot wide open at f/1.4. Sharpened the image in photoshop and added vignetting and increased contrast. I like the way the worker seems to have a tired look on his face, like he just wants to get the day done and over with

would like comments about:
1) is the image able to bring across the worker finishing a long day's work?
2) what can be done to improve the image?

For larger image click here

Last edited:
1) No, the image doesn't bring across the worker finishing a long day's work. The background lighting does not tell us if it is at the end of the day, or just a some shaded afternoon. The expression of the worker doesn't show any signs about his feeling of work as well.

2) Remove the stray elements at the back. Lots of ways to do it, including having a desaturated background against a more contrasty subject.

Yup, doesn't show that it's the end of the day.
I would say there is no shadows that sunsets usually gives.

Ok.. maybe it was a bad day to take it. It had rained earlier in the day and the sun was still behind clouds. will try making the subject stand out:)

Slightly better on the second edit. I would have preferred a slightly tighter frame. I feel you can afford to exclude a good part of the pickup truck; perhaps about the left 1/3 of the truck can be excluded.

As long as we see that certain amount of workers tools to keep the image in context, that will be sufficient. As you can see, a good part of the pick up truck's load is not that important and is shrouded in shadow anyway.

Why I also suggest going tighter is because you want to see the look on the worker's face. Is he tired, fatigued, glad to be knocking off? We don't quite know because his face is small in the image.

Slightly better on the second edit. I would have preferred a slightly tighter frame. I feel you can afford to exclude a good part of the pickup truck; perhaps about the left 1/3 of the truck can be excluded.

As long as we see that certain amount of workers tools to keep the image in context, that will be sufficient. As you can see, a good part of the pick up truck's load is not that important and is shrouded in shadow anyway.

Why I also suggest going tighter is because you want to see the look on the worker's face. Is he tired, fatigued, glad to be knocking off? We don't quite know because his face is small in the image.

Tried square cropping... does this work?:dunno:

3060749330_af34335f03.jpg

i cant see the first pic. but i prefer the crop on the third one than the second one.

TS, request to put the original image in, so that other members can give their critique based on your first image (and not the later ones).

TS, request to put the original image in, so that other members can give their critique based on your first image (and not the later ones).

Ok.. edited the URL

The square crop definitely brings much more emphasis to the worker and the heap of tools on the lorry. That's about the only thing fixable here, with post-process. Ideally, I'd still like to have more emphasis on the worker's expression after a long day of work.

The square crop definitely brings much more emphasis to the worker and the heap of tools on the lorry. That's about the only thing fixable here, with post-process. Ideally, I'd still like to have more emphasis on the worker's expression after a long day of work.

Ok.. noted:)

Square crop is definitely better.Original is very messy thanks to the lorry.I still dont think this photo has much to do with your title.

Status
Not open for further replies.