Finger print on Canon 550D lens

Were you pissed with your friend?

Yo everyone, thanks for the replies. Yea, I was pissed at my friend for a while but I was alright after some 5 minutes because I realised that's all part of the game of owning a DSLR. It's going to happen no matter how much care I take or not.

To all who replied to my thread:

I forgot to buy a cleaning kit when I bought my DSLR, it is my first DSLR, completely forgot about that. I should buy one asap.

I am definitely buying a UV filter. Is the Hoya 28mm filter good enough for my Canon 18-55mm Kit lens?

And no one actually replied my question. Is Canon going to charge me if I take my lens at the Harbourfront Service Centre to get it cleaned?

Yo everyone, thanks for the replies. Yea, I was pissed at my friend for a while but I was alright after some 5 minutes because I realised that's all part of the game of owning a DSLR. It's going to happen no matter how much care I take or not.

I forgot to buy a cleaning kit when I bought my DSLR, it is my first DSLR, completely forgot about that. I should buy one asap.

I am definitely buying a UV filter. Is the Hoya 28mm filter good enough for my Canon 18-55mm Kit lens?

And no one actually replied my question. Is Canon going to charge me if I take my lens at the Harbourfront Service Centre to get it cleaned?

I think you mean the 58 mm filter. Yes, its good enough.

Will they clean it for you for free? Most likely, they will be too polite to say otherwise; but really, you will be the topic of their lunch conversation because it is a very trivial job which you can do it in seconds.

Don't worry about fingerprint on the lens lah..... It wouldn't hurt it unless you totally forgotten about it and keep it in your bag. I understand that oil from the finger prints can lead to fungus growth.

Just clean it with a lens pen after usage and remember to always store your lenses in a day cabinet. No harm done.

Friendship more important than a kit lens. It is not worth spoiling a friendship because of a small thing like that.

Don't worry about fingerprint on the lens lah..... It wouldn't hurt it unless you totally forgotten about it and keep it in your bag. I understand that oil from the finger prints can lead to fungus growth.

Just clean it with a lens pen after usage and remember to always store your lenses in a day cabinet. No harm done.

Friendship more important than a kit lens. It is not worth spoiling a friendship because of a small thing like that.

Thanks for your valuable input mate, some words of wisdom there. Indeed, the kit lens can always be replaced but a friend lost may never be replaced. I'll always remember this henceforth. Thank you.

it depends. last time they dun charge for sensor cleaning, now they do and it cost $21.50 for sensor cleaning.

aiyah just DIY yourself, its pretty simple and u got to learn it anyway?

just get a lenspen and a good micro fibre cloth.

1. lenspen got two side, one is the brush, one is the wiper
2. use the brush, to brush all any dusts, particles etc so u dun scratch your lens when u use the wiper
3. use the wiper to wipe the lens in circular motion
4. use the cloth to wipe the lens in circular motion

Thats it! simple as that!

it depends. last time they dun charge for sensor cleaning, now they do and it cost $21.50 for sensor cleaning.

aiyah just DIY yourself, its pretty simple and u got to learn it anyway?

just get a lenspen and a good micro fibre cloth.

1. lenspen got two side, one is the brush, one is the wiper
2. use the brush, to brush all any dusts, particles etc so u dun scratch your lens when u use the wiper
3. use the wiper to wipe the lens in circular motion
4. use the cloth to wipe the lens in circular motion

Thats it! simple as that!

Alright. Where can I get a lenspen? And how much does it cost approx.?

u can get at cathay photo for under $15 for the lenspen. u can ask the uncles there to demo and show u how to use.

Ok. Thank you. I shall buy a lenspen. Do I get a micro-fibre cloth alongwith the lenspen? Or I have to buy the microfibre cloth separately?

That's why I don't usually let other people touch my camera, no matter how affordable it is.

That's why I don't usually let other people touch my camera, no matter how affordable it is.

Well, my camera was in my hand but my friend accidentally waived the hand and it touched the lens.

Ok. Thank you. I shall buy a lenspen. Do I get a micro-fibre cloth alongwith the lenspen? Or I have to buy the microfibre cloth separately?

if you intend to buy a filter, bring you camera and lens down to the shop. the sales will know which one to recommend. just get a normal UV one will do. then ask the sales to fit it for you. he will perform the cleaning part of lens for you :D

if you intend to buy a filter, bring you camera and lens down to the shop. the sales will know which one to recommend. just get a normal UV one will do. then ask the sales to fit it for you. he will perform the cleaning part of lens for you :D

thats a lousy idea to let the shop assistant recommend u.

he will mostly recommend u the brand "vitacon" and charge u a premium for it. :bsmilie:

do your research here, go for Hoya pro1 digital series (its multi coated), i been using this since i started out using DSLR last year, pretty good. Only recently upgraded myself to get Hoya HD series and b+w (so can compare both)

normal uv, also must get multi coated one... cos those non coated like the $10 tokina ones will gives you ghosting problems when u do night shoots (from personal experience).

thats a lousy idea to let the shop assistant recommend u.

he will mostly recommend u the brand "vitacon" and charge u a premium for it. :bsmilie:

do your research here, go for Hoya pro1 digital series (its multi coated), i been using this since i started out using DSLR last year, pretty good. Only recently upgraded myself to get Hoya HD series and b+w (so can compare both)

normal uv, also must get multi coated one... cos those non coated like the $10 tokina ones will gives you ghosting problems when u do night shoots (from personal experience).

ok my bad.
i mean go to those reputated shops. normally they dun anyhow recommend you.
i had been using HOYA and B+W UV filters. recently i got a Kenko UV Multi-coated . looks not bad. and it is not too exp also. but ya .. get HOYA pro1 digital series. wont go wrong with it.

i had been using HOYA and B+W UV filters. recently i got a Kenko UV Multi-coated .

your recommendation is not bad.

whatever it is, dun buy the cheapo tokina uv filter! its actually just a glass with no coating and gives horrible ghosting effects during night shots (when u shoot against lights), i dun have such problems using Hoya Pro1 digital series! :eek:

next time my laptop got lizard droppings i will send it to asus for cleaning.

ts, fingerprint is small small small small thing. it is so small thing that i don't know what to say to your idea that you have to send the whole lens in for cleaning.

just wipe it with a soft microfibre cloth after using a blower on it.

i think the poor canon technicians will be struggling to keep their faces straight if you send your lens in for cleaning because "someone left a fingerprint on it".

ok my bad.
i mean go to those reputated shops. normally they dun anyhow recommend you.

Depends on the sales person.

And a so-called reputable shop at the ground floor of SLS WILL actually recommend you to buy Vitacon filters.

Anyways, if TS is paranoid, you could do with a hood too.
It will prevent some accidents when people brush pass you and also reduce flare and thus improving the contrast of your images.

Personally, I don't normally use filters for my lenses, just hoods.

TS, after you get your lens cleaned, get yourself a lens hood and keep it on when you are shooting. Will help to avoid such 'accidents' in the future.