Finger pain due to holding DSLR setup. Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7times70s

Jul 27, 2009
Hi anyone experience finger pain holding D300 with Grip, lens n flash? I understanding is due to the weight of the setup. Anyway to over come this problem in the long run? anyway to strengthen my fingers? Cos currently if i shoot for more than an hr this pain will continue for weeks. Welcome any advises. It happen only to my right hand 2nd, 3rd n 4th finger. i believe cos i tend to use this 3 fingers to hold the cam wen i am or am not shooting moving around.

Thanks

Hi anyone experience finger pain holding D300 with Grip, lens n flash? I understanding is due to the weight of the setup. Anyway to over come this problem in the long run? anyway to strengthen my fingers? Cos currently if i shoot for more than an hr this pain will continue for weeks. Welcome any advises. It happen only to my right hand 2nd, 3rd n 4th finger. i believe cos i tend to use this 3 fingers to hold the cam wen i am or am not shooting moving around.

Thanks

Get a D90.

Thanks
7times70s, it's really not easy to strengthen fingers. Now that your right index, middle and ring fingers are compromised by the pain, further holding will very likely result in your forearm muscle taking up more of the load, leading to possibly tennis elbow - like what I am suffering from currently.
Use a good wrist strap on your D300 and adjust it snugly to prevent further injuries.
For building up strength, use some light weights (dumbbells ~ 1kg-2kg) to train your forearm extension and flexion muscles cos these are the ones that give your fingers their grip strength.

Get a good strap and let the camera hang around your shoulder when not in use. Support the setup by lens (left hand, that is), not grip (right hand). The left elbow should be tugged against the chest (think air rifle stance). This way, not only will you get less pain, the support is also much steadier.

Last edited:
i get that too. but the pain never lasted for weeks. only max 3 days.

get used to the weight. your fingers will naturally strengthen itself over time. if you can experience so much pain, your fingers have been very weak since young. will take a longer time to condition.

use a neck strap if can. dun keep holding onto it when you are not shooting.

otherwise, get a D3000.

its good to hang around across the shoulder. as a backup carry the cam with the palm with the lens. it will take the weight off the fingers.

safer this way in case someone bump your cam

Thanks
Hmm...i dun hav tt probelm before i upgrade. My advice : -

1 Get a Lighter Setup
2 Get a Hand strap (Matin/Optech)
3 Get a Black Rapid Strap

Take the weight of yr setup by holding the lens. Fingers are then free of loading to adjust settings etc.
Slinging yr cam is a good idea, and the Rapid system comes recommended by many users.

Hi All thanks for all the advice and will try it out. Yah maybe 1 of the problem is that i kept using my finger to hold the cam while moving around and also that before i recover from the pain, im off shooting for hours again. Maybe need to let it recover first and try the ways u guys had mentioned. : ) Many thanks.

7times70s, it's really not easy to strengthen fingers. Now that your right index, middle and ring fingers are compromised by the pain, further holding will very likely result in your forearm muscle taking up more of the load, leading to possibly tennis elbow - like what I am suffering from currently.
Use a good wrist strap on your D300 and adjust it snugly to prevent further injuries.
For building up strength, use some light weights (dumbbells ~ 1kg-2kg) to train your forearm extension and flexion muscles cos these are the ones that give your fingers their grip strength.

Hi just wanna ask if im prone to shooting vertical than a wrist strap would not be advisable right?

Does carrying dumbbells help or will those grip that guitarist used to strengthen their fingers be better? Thanks again for advice! : )

if u r shooting vertical might as well get a vertical grip will not strain ur arm. use ur left hand to support by holding the lens. it works for me.

Hi just wanna ask if im prone to shooting vertical than a wrist strap would not be advisable right?

Does carrying dumbbells help or will those grip that guitarist used to strengthen their fingers be better? Thanks again for advice! : )

Haha... Get a battery grip lor... If you shoot vertically.

Compared to musicians such as cellist, this amount of finger strain is nothing.

In the long run, your muscles will get used to it.

Thanks

Dun hold in your hands.. leave it slinged on your shoulder.

Hmm...i dun hav tt probelm before i upgrade.

dude,

your arm is about as thick as my thighs. of course you would not have such a problem.

:bsmilie:

normal physio problems. weaker muscles gets strained more when carrying heavier weights then muscles that has been conditioned from years of gym training...

Used to own the D200 + 80-200 lens, etc. It was heavy... so I understand. Until I practiced

THIS Kung Fu
[vid]EzIjwlqC6bc[/vid]

fwah.....the shaolin finger one quite power ah.....

Hi All thanks for all the advice and will try it out. Yah maybe 1 of the problem is that i kept using my finger to hold the cam while moving around and also that before i recover from the pain, im off shooting for hours again. Maybe need to let it recover first and try the ways u guys had mentioned. : ) Many thanks.

Cup your hands around the lens instead when you move around.

Status
Not open for further replies.