Finding time for photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirewol

Jun 9, 2006
Hi,

I was just wondering how young parents find time to persue their interest in photography, besides photographing your kids.

I find it difficult to do that now that I've two kids, especially when they are very young (toddler and baby). Maybe someone here can share how you manage your interest and family life.

cirewol said:
Hi,

I was just wondering how young parents find time to persue their interest in photography, besides photographing your kids.

I find it difficult to do that now that I've two kids, especially when they are very young (toddler and baby). Maybe someone here can share how you manage your interest and family life.

i give u plan... haha... even thou i not married & no kids... hehehe...

Year 0 -

abstract, take pics of mom tummy, umbilicus etc...
portrait, take pics of mom having cramps... morning sickness...

Year 1 -

abstract, take pics of kid's diapers, used & unused...
still life, take product shoot of bottles and milk cans
portrait, take feeding time

Year 2-

err, maybe the rest can fill in... hehehehehehehehhee....

btw, there is always an emergency number to call, make it 2... Your Parent's & Your In-Laws... i find my parents constantly activated to look after my nephew during weekends while they go out...

once a week like every sunday take time off and go shoot for few hours lah

not a parent, just chipping in...

actually now that you have kids, isn't it the perfect time to take lots and lots of pictures - of your family? these are the precious moments that will never return again. some more young kids move around so quickly, good chance to improve your speed and anticipation ;p

i guess another thing you can do is bring the family to shooting locations such as the zoo, botanical gardens etc on weekends.

OK, oldman here with 3 kids (3 yr to 8yr old) giving some answers. This is how I manage.

1. I take some time during weekends to shoot in the neighbourhood parks while the kids are
sleeping or having tutions. You will be surprised with what you can find in yr neighbourhood.

2. Take whole family to outings, while the kids are playing, take out yr camera and shoot either at the kids or for my case, macros and birds. Children will soon adjust to yr style and will give you some space.

3. Let yr kids learn photography together with you. I gave my 6 yr old son my P&S and let him play with it. This way you can spend time with yr kids and at the same time shoot yr photos.

4. Ocassionally, I leave the kids with my wife or mom while I go for a half day shooting alone, esp to places not convenient for kids or the elderly like jungles.

That my way of managing. Sometimes I even bring only the 3 kids out and I can still shoot.

I will bring them to the kids events at the shopping malls and take photos there usually power ranger and cartoon stuff and sometimes cultural and workshops for kids. One stone kill two birds. My kids are 3 and 5 so cant walk too long.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

This is the tough one, as young parent, you don't have much time of your own.
don't expect you have a luxery of a half day photo outting,
just find part and pieces of your free time, be it office lunch time, waiting time, way to work or home, anytime, anything.

Maybe you have to do only certain subjects due to your time constain, like ortega uses lunch time to shoot marco...

Hope this help.

One possible solution is to take leave and shoot.... ;)

I have 3 children and I bring them out every Sunday and of cause my camera too. Some places you can let them play and you go walk around (Not too long) or push your stoller to shoot something....at home I use my macro to shoot almost anything...

Maybe one day we should organise a day for all parents to bring along their kids for a photo shoot. Would be fun.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.