Finding the job that i love

AmirApache

Mar 26, 2012
Hi i'm a student,and i want to work as a photographer for part-time..any recruitment or suggestion?please help,need to support family and myself.

Hi i'm a student,and i want to work as a photographer for part-time..any recruitment or suggestion?please help,need to support family and myself.

First of all, before finding a job, you need to be able to demonstrate that you provide some value to your employee.

At the end of the day, there must be value to add another staff.

What you love and your reason to be in need unfortunately won't be considered, not because we are heartless people, but in the world of business, you will need to make a profit to sustain your lifestyle.

Hart

You know there are tens of thousands of you out there (students who love photography wanna work partime to earn some money, most to get some shopping/clubbing money and some to support the family like you wanna do)

So think what makes you more likely or worthy to be hired than the others? Work on that. It often is a combination of deep desire, crazy hard work, good work ethics and social skills. Also try doing a search on the many similar threads started by people like you over the past years.

Put a link here so that those who are interested can take a look at what you have to offer.
here is for discussion of the business aspect of photography, not for advertise ones photography services here.

since Bro Hart and Bro Jason is giving advices to TS, I let this thread be here and let the discussion go on. If TS chose post his services, than he has to post at photography services directory.

finally, One word to TS, hope that you love for photography, and the desire of support family and yourself can withstand the erratic and long working hours, low wages of being a junior photographers.

New around here, hopefully my 2cents helps.

Making a full time living from Photographer is challenging. Not impossible, but definitely a Long winding road.

What most aspiring photographers forget/overlook is that photography is still a business. In my experience, it's almost 80% business and 20% actual shooting.

For all aspiring photographers who want to make a living being pros, you need to ask yourself if you're ready to commit to the business aspect of photography. If you are, then do it! Being a pro means trying to build a sustainable business and career.

My suggestion is to ease into it. Keep your day job to pay the bills initially. You'll also need the money for equipment and infrastructure (website, hosting, accounting, branding, design, project management, education, CRM, marketing, business cards, etc).

Hope that helps a little. Don't give up, if you believe in it strongly enough!

New around here, hopefully my 2cents helps.

Making a full time living from Photographer is challenging. Not impossible, but definitely a Long winding road.

What most aspiring photographers forget/overlook is that photography is still a business. In my experience, it's almost 80% business and 20% actual shooting.

For all aspiring photographers who want to make a living being pros, you need to ask yourself if you're ready to commit to the business aspect of photography. If you are, then do it! Being a pro means trying to build a sustainable business and career.

My suggestion is to ease into it. Keep your day job to pay the bills initially. You'll also need the money for equipment and infrastructure (website, hosting, accounting, branding, design, project management, education, CRM, marketing, business cards, etc).

Hope that helps a little. Don't give up, if you believe in it strongly enough!

Agreed...

However, sometimes it is easier to work for company who has great business aspect. So u just worry about creating your vision through photography.

If business isn't your thing, then there is always an alternative.

I truly believe that not everyone want to run their own business but a lot more want to make money from photography.

Hart

Just to note, taking photos as an interest is way different from taking photos as a profession.

Taking photos as an interest, press shutter, upload to PC

Taking photos as a profession, you will work like a slave and find pressing the shutter is the least in your job + low and irregularly paid.

That's why I rather work as an executive and have fun with my camera without any external stress.

If you need to support your family, why not start on other things? I am sure you will earn more than photography.

Last edited:
Taking photos as a profession, you will work like a slave and find pressing the shutter is the least in your job + low and irregularly paid.

I will have to disagree with you on this point.

Working as a full time photographer is great if you enjoy it. I won't say it is exactly pays millions like high end executive, but it will feed the family, pay bills and supporting your lifestyle and have some left over...

BUT and it is a big BUT... you need to know how to run the business that sells your photography. As photography itself hardly a selling point unless u have something that is unique that everyone want.

Hart

I dont mean that being a full time photographer doesnt bring you job satisifaction, neither I mean you cant enjoy your work as a photographer. You might be interpreting wrongly.

I just dont want to paint too nice a painting for TS to dream about.

Too many students/younger generation believe being a photographer is a easy job, just go shoot photos and send to customers.

I will have to disagree with you on this point.

Working as a full time photographer is great if you enjoy it. I won't say it is exactly pays millions like high end executive, but it will feed the family, pay bills and supporting your lifestyle and have some left over...

BUT and it is a big BUT... you need to know how to run the business that sells your photography. As photography itself hardly a selling point unless u have something that is unique that everyone want.

Hart

Okay for what's it worth. I find it strange you want to work as a part time photographer. Even today it still takes money to buy equipment - camera, computer, lens, flashes, training - how its done, books....... so if you do not you have to """gasps""" buy these first. Or you already have them which sort makes me wonder how much money are you trying to earn. Then there is the realities of life.

A top photographer in his/her/shim/hishe field should that be commercial and high work can command a high dollar value but that comes after earn your dues. Most newbie and wanna be working photographers earn very little, a company that is successful i.e. they have clients coming in new and repeat, will almost new throw any thing big your way (no experience you screw up at a job guess who gets the heat) what you get are the small stuff, which they in turn pay you a very small part.

Most newbies wind up with horrors for the client wedding day work from wedding shops. Most Tanjong Pagar wedding shops will be only around $150 to $230 for a 12 to 14 hours shoot day plus you have to edit thru what you shoot call that another 12 to 14 hours, plus you pay for your transportation about 4 trips that about $80 bucks worth of taxis, plus you have to feed yourself call that $25. I assume you will use rechargeable batteries else cough up another $12. Notice your out of pocket expenses are already above $100. After you hand in the DVD of images, assuming there are no loud screams about this is sxxxx I am not paying you need to compensate me because you screwed up. You probably have to wait from 40 to 100 days to get your ahem $200. If they give you 4 assignments before you get paid for the first one - you have to ahhhh finance them about $500. Still think its about earning money ? The business model for ahhh newbies is a basic rip you off because you are young, desperate, dumb and can be con like a 2 year old. Been there done that I know better but it was a way to practice how to do things. Oh yeah, the wedding shops do not teach you how to do it, that's your problem.

If you are serious about earning to support family and yourself - get a part time job at where ever. Mac even though its a $5 per hour thing would probably pay more than working for a wedding shop. You have no large up front overheads, transport there and back - bus/mrt is cheap. You get paid promptly and not have to chase for payment.

If you though being a photographer was having no need for training, and its just about having a bad hair cut, cultivate an attitude, wear a nose ring, turn late, go click click click and boom they pay you one grand and the super hot model dates you because you are a photographer - it is a nice day dream which with $1.20 will buy you a cup of coffee.

A lot of young photographers talk about passion for photography, but few in fact are willing to walk that long lonely road to become competent. How much are you willing to invest in before even see anything back. Can you eat, sleep, shxx, bonk photography forgoing all most social contact ? From what I have seen - the answer is nope, spend 2 days with your first camera, see 3 hours of Utube videos, surf a few sites and boom ala wham you are feel you can go forth to make money out of photography. If only it was so easy to copy everything you need to know. Ahh yeah alway remember when all else fails when confronted by people say your work is L - it is art there is no right and wrong in art you guys can not see my level of work. That should give you time to run while they a rolling on the floor laughing.

Haha, +1. You have mentioned everything I wanted to say but lazy to type...

Okay for what's it worth. I find it strange you want to work as a part time photographer. Even today it still takes money to buy equipment - camera, computer, lens, flashes, training - how its done, books....... so if you do not you have to """gasps""" buy these first. Or you already have them which sort makes me wonder how much money are you trying to earn. Then there is the realities of life.

A top photographer in his/her/shim/hishe field should that be commercial and high work can command a high dollar value but that comes after earn your dues. Most newbie and wanna be working photographers earn very little, a company that is successful i.e. they have clients coming in new and repeat, will almost new throw any thing big your way (no experience you screw up at a job guess who gets the heat) what you get are the small stuff, which they in turn pay you a very small part.

Most newbies wind up with horrors for the client wedding day work from wedding shops. Most Tanjong Pagar wedding shops will be only around $150 to $230 for a 12 to 14 hours shoot day plus you have to edit thru what you shoot call that another 12 to 14 hours, plus you pay for your transportation about 4 trips that about $80 bucks worth of taxis, plus you have to feed yourself call that $25. I assume you will use rechargeable batteries else cough up another $12. Notice your out of pocket expenses are already above $100. After you hand in the DVD of images, assuming there are no loud screams about this is sxxxx I am not paying you need to compensate me because you screwed up. You probably have to wait from 40 to 100 days to get your ahem $200. If they give you 4 assignments before you get paid for the first one - you have to ahhhh finance them about $500. Still think its about earning money ? The business model for ahhh newbies is a basic rip you off because you are young, desperate, dumb and can be con like a 2 year old. Been there done that I know better but it was a way to practice how to do things. Oh yeah, the wedding shops do not teach you how to do it, that's your problem.

If you are serious about earning to support family and yourself - get a part time job at where ever. Mac even though its a $5 per hour thing would probably pay more than working for a wedding shop. You have no large up front overheads, transport there and back - bus/mrt is cheap. You get paid promptly and not have to chase for payment.

If you though being a photographer was having no need for training, and its just about having a bad hair cut, cultivate an attitude, wear a nose ring, turn late, go click click click and boom they pay you one grand and the super hot model dates you because you are a photographer - it is a nice day dream which with $1.20 will buy you a cup of coffee.

A lot of young photographers talk about passion for photography, but few in fact are willing to walk that long lonely road to become competent. How much are you willing to invest in before even see anything back. Can you eat, sleep, shxx, bonk photography forgoing all most social contact ? From what I have seen - the answer is nope, spend 2 days with your first camera, see 3 hours of Utube videos, surf a few sites and boom ala wham you are feel you can go forth to make money out of photography. If only it was so easy to copy everything you need to know. Ahh yeah alway remember when all else fails when confronted by people say your work is L - it is art there is no right and wrong in art you guys can not see my level of work. That should give you time to run while they a rolling on the floor laughing.

I agree .. investments in camera, lens, laptop, training, dry cabinet can go from 2k to more than 10k. Need to have alot of experience and regular clients otherwise you will never hit your return on investments. It is not as straightforward as just shoot and get paid.. you need to do marketing, alot of communication, follow ups, logistics and others. I don't advice to take up this route unless you are really really really determined. There is a huge difference between a hobbist and profession.

Many GWC mistaken their passion for BUYING THE LATEST CAMERAS AND GEAR (and arguing about them online) for passion for photography.

Nikon and Canon had done a good job in selling sometimes the Megapixels idea and sometimes the high ISO idea. Also the f/1.2 and f/1.4 bokeh ideas too. Whatever crap pictures the GWC wannabes produced, it's going to magnify several times with high megapixels. High ISO, if lighting is crappy, high ISO now shows that crappy light clearly. If a photog dont know how to use light, he will be humiliated by light itself on the day when light just happens to be crappy. So what if you can make an exposure? A 2 year old kid can make an exposure with an iPhone. Fast lenses, can't tell a story with an interesting composition? Just blur everything into that so call buttery bokeh. Which is more important? Good content or good bokeh?

The software companies riding on Adobe doesn't help either with the endless release of new photoshop effects and looks. Photog are constantly reminded to develop a creative style, many mistaken creative styles as post processing effects that can be downloaded or bought.

Those model shoots organizers contributed too, when all their subjects are paid (instead of paying), when all their subjects are presentable (hopefully) and when all their shoot environment already pre-designed and sometimes even pre-setted, they start thinking 'hey I am good, i just shot some "professional" models so i can be professional photog too" Of course selective reading on online critics doesn't help either.

Making a photo is not enough, people already done that for centuries. There was a saying about knowing f stops from bus stops, I say take a look around, we have nearly 100000 Clubsnap members photography is popular! Knowing f stops in today's context is no longer enough. We want visual impact, creative intent and originality in today's context. Are the young pro photogs entering the industry developing these to differentiate themselves from the GWCs?

Recently I met a guy with a Leica M9 pimped up with accessories and some noct lens. He looks at my Nikon and wants to talk gear with me. Asked me about Nikon lenses and prices and wants affirmation that Leica is still more expensive and lens still faster and sharper. I gave him the info, of course Leica is. I then asked him about visual impact, creative intent and originality of photos, he cannot give back any info, unable to grasp my conversation. I wanna talk about chess strategy, he wanna talk about worksmanship of chess pieces.

Back to the thread, what I am saying is, do you really want to be a pro photographer? It's going to be a whole lot different than a hobby.

Last edited:
Just to add to it...

Being a pro photog "by definition" is probably the easiest. Quit the job and start advertising for your service. Make $1 and you can call yourself a pro photog.

What is difficult to do is having the guts to charge and understanding where to find your audience while deliver your promise each and every time isn't the simplest thing to do.

Last but not least, being a pro that makes consistent income that support your lifestyle isn't the easiest, but not impossible.

Regards,

Hart

Last edited: