Financial Calculator where can i get???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cast123

Nov 28, 2003
Spore
Visit site
anyone know where can i get financial calculators?:dunno:

I'm helping someone to look for one. But heard that this model is out of production, the model is Casio FC 100.

try bras basah ..... if i were you, forget about the CASIO and get a HP :thumbsup: ..fast and accurate ..bought one during my school days and I am still using it now.... excellent companion even at work:lovegrin:

yup! Bras Basah has it. Got one for my bro-in-law who needed it in Australia. One of the shops on the ground floor.

Hi AhV
Tks alot for the recomendation will give it a try:thumbsup:

Adiemus said:
yup! Bras Basah has it. Got one for my bro-in-law who needed it in Australia. One of the shops on the ground floor.

that's fast guys, really appreciate ur help. Tks! :)

I would also recommend HP, I have mine for 19 years now (HP-11c), and dropped it seveal times, nothing happens! Only changed batteries three times! The LCD starts to deteroriate not at one corner, but is still usable...........

It works differently though than normal calculators, so it needs some to get used to. There is a financial version: HP-12c I think, but there are others. Check eBay, or ask Mr Wong at Fotografix, secondfloor of Chinatown Center (or something like that), the shopping center in Chinatown, just next to that chinese style bridge (it also has a McDonald on the groundfloor)........he collects these HP's, good luck!

HS

close to $100 ..

Anyone knows which is better: HP-12c or Texas Instrument BA-II Plus?

HP cost $100+ and the TI cost $60+.

Suppose to use for CFA exams.

TIA! =)

AhV said:
try bras basah ..... if i were you, forget about the CASIO and get a HP :thumbsup: ..fast and accurate ..bought one during my school days and I am still using it now.... excellent companion even at work:lovegrin:
just curious, have u ever seen a calculator that is inaccurate? :think:

hongsien said:
It works differently though than normal calculators, so it needs some to get used to.

Do you mean RPN operation ? Some of the later ones can switch between RPN & algebraic ... I have a 19BII that can do just that (way overkill for my needs, like using an Arca Swiss B1 for a P&S :bsmilie: ).

It's a lot of fun once you get used to RPN ... makes you approach the task with a different mindset.

BA-II Plus is easier to use for most people. HP12C uses the "computer" way of doing simple arithmetic. It's actually faster once you get the hang of it ;p

Astin said:
just curious, have u ever seen a calculator that is inaccurate? :think:

All calculators are somewhat inaccurate (they generally round the exact results to a number they can represent). The difference is to what degree they are so, especially when it comes to operations like transcendental functions.

AhV said:

My opinion is to agree that HP business calculator is better. I tried both Casio FC-100 & FC-200 version and didn't like it. FC-200 is even slower than FC-100. For HP business calculator, you may try the HP-12C or HP 12C Platinum or HP-17bII+. Details inlcuding sales out of Singapore, can be found at http://www.educalc.net which operates from Loyang in Singapore.

LittleWolf said:
All calculators are somewhat inaccurate (they generally round the exact results to a number they can represent). The difference is to what degree they are so, especially when it comes to operations like transcendental functions.
Hmm, calculator itself should be accurate, its the LCD display that round up the number to show u just the digits.

Before you rush to buy the calculator.... Please check which model...

I know for certain that some exams do not allow certain calculators and make sure the one you getting is on the "ALLOWED" list..

And understand what a calculator do versus what the LCD display do. :bsmilie:
In calculator, it is not "what you see is what you get".

Yeh especially the HP41 series and above are mostly not allowed. Knowledgable invigilator may do a master clear for the above if they allow it into the exam hall.

nemesis32 said:
Before you rush to buy the calculator.... Please check which model...

I know for certain that some exams do not allow certain calculators and make sure the one you getting is on the "ALLOWED" list..

Astin said:
Hmm, calculator itself should be accurate, its the LCD display that round up the number to show u just the digits.
I have learnt while schooling that the calculator uses rounding and when doing long calculations the minor error escalates.

There was a test to check the calculator's accuracy but I've forgotten how to do it. It's part of some computer study thingy.

yanyewkay said:
I have learnt while schooling that the calculator uses rounding and when doing long calculations the minor error escalates.

There was a test to check the calculator's accuracy but I've forgotten how to do it. It's part of some computer study thingy.
What u refer to is "truncation", the user specify how many decimal points he wants to truncate, the calculator will display according to what the user specify. A financial guy may want to truncate to 4 decimal points for convenience, while a scientist may want to truncate to 40 decimal points for more accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.