Finally....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane25

Feb 5, 2007
Singapore, Singapore
After some reading up, i finally feel ready to buy my first DSLR.

My friend recommends that i buy it from John 3:16 cos they provide good service and post-sale care.

Now i'm trying to decide between D400 or D30.
If i get the D400, it'll be almost $600 less and my friend says that I should get a better lens (he recommends i get Sigma) with that price difference, rather than use the lens that comes with the camera kit.

And since i wanna go into portraits, should I get a WA diffuser with bounce card? I read about that in "Megaguide to Photography" and thought that may do good for portrait shots.

And how about a polarizing filter?
And a dry-cabinet.
And a camera bag.
What else should I get?

Please offer some advice. Thanks in advance! ;)

400D or 30D, you mean.

For a moment there I was wondering what you were talking about, because Nikon got no D400 or D30.

It depends on what you want, 30D would definitely have a lot more features, but if you don't use that, no point for now. Can always switch bodies later on when you're more confirmed that you need them, and sell off the 400D body. Canon kit lens usually not so good, but it is after all, sometimes the photographer and not all about the equipment.

If you take landscapes or plan to take landscapes you should definitely get a CPL, and other filters if you think you want to play around. They are relatively cheap anyways.

As for other stuff, you might want to consider getting a good tripod. And extra batteries if you think you need them. And of course, a basic cleaning kit while you're at it.

haha! yes yes, 400D and 30D. sorry.
how about my queries for portraits?

thanks for the prompt reply! :p

I don't shoot portraits, so I don't know anything about it. But you'd definitely need a flash at the very least, if you're into that. =)

do use the search feature. plenty of threads discussing your concerns recently :)

400D is an entry level camera whereas the 30D is a higher end one. Do a comparison and see what you need and what you want. If I were to choose I would go for the 30D which can last you longer before the next upgrade. If it's just for casual use, the 400D can produce very good quality pictures too.

Just my 2 cents worth.

To start off, u just need the camera + kit lens + memory card + bag + drycabi, other things can wait for a later days...

Astin is right.
Don't spend more till you've used the camera abit.

Your other shop options include Cathay(Peninsula Plaza), MS Color (at AMK central) and Alan Photo (Funan/SimLim). You could also save a bundle buying from MOs here on clubsnap.

I don't shoot portraits, so I don't know anything about it. But you'd definitely need a flash at the very least, if you're into that. =)

If I don't know anything about portraits, I would have shut up and not act stupid. But that's just me.

angiee, i hope you can rephrased in a more amiable manner.

for portraits, get a prime lens with a larger maximum aperture for good optical quality and shallower depth of field. depends on the type of portrait and distance from subject, with a typical 1.5x crop factor, different users uses focal length from 50-100mm, but recently some guys showed excellent cosplay shots at 30+mm.

After some reading up, i finally feel ready to buy my first DSLR.

My friend recommends that i buy it from John 3:16 cos they provide good service and post-sale care.

Now i'm trying to decide between D400 or D30.
If i get the D400, it'll be almost $600 less and my friend says that I should get a better lens (he recommends i get Sigma) with that price difference, rather than use the lens that comes with the camera kit.

And since i wanna go into portraits, should I get a WA diffuser with bounce card? I read about that in "Megaguide to Photography" and thought that may do good for portrait shots.

And how about a polarizing filter?
And a dry-cabinet.
And a camera bag.
What else should I get?

Please offer some advice. Thanks in advance! ;)

400D is a great DSLR to start with and certainly get a better-than-kit lens with the money you save from not buying the 30D. I'd also recommend the battery grip as well. Aside from the batteries, it adds a great feel to the camera and makes shooting in landscape a lot easier.

Also a clear/UV filter to protect that nice new lens you're gonna get!

thanks for all the advice guys! ;)

think i'll get the 400D then. :D but what lens should i get to top it off?
please advise on brand of lens, focal range and aperture.

so, should i get everything from that shop or move around comparing prices? (do prices differ much from shop to shop?)
or get them from MOs in CS as suggested earlier?

stuff like tripods, filters, bags...
oh, i'm interested in getting the crumpler 7 million dollar home bag, any comments on that bag?

and how about WA diffusers for portraits? any portrait experts can offer their views?

yo bro, ima using a 400D..
i'd suggest that u get a 70-300 sigma F4-F5.6, that'll add to ur telephoto,plus minus 300 bucks.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.