Finally decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

John E

Oct 5, 2008
Hi ,

Thanks a million for all the great info and help from this forum. This is a great forum with many great, gracious and passionate people.

I finally decided after weeks of pondering and "fondling" on the models and brand available, I am going for the Canon 50D. There are many great ones out there but this one got connection and technically suit what I like to do.

This will be my first DSLR.

I have another newbie question:

I have a old Carl Zeiss2.8/28 Distagon 50mm lense which I used 15 years ago and stored in dry cabinet. Anyone know whether I can fix this lense in the Canon 50D. If can, what are the shortfall that I need to compensate for them to work together.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
John E

You'd need a converter and manually focus and meter (duh ;))

Hi ,

Thanks. Meaning I can still use :D

It was a nice lense to be wasted.

Converter and manual focus ..no problem. May I know the meter for what?? (Sorry newbie here)

Thanks and cheers,
John

Hi ,

Thanks. Meaning I can still use :D

It was a nice lense to be wasted.

Converter and manual focus ..no problem. May I know the meter for what?? (Sorry newbie here)

Thanks and cheers,
John

Metering is so determine the correct exposure time. Your lens doesn't have electronic contacts, does it?

Hi,

Think no electronic lah ....really old antique lense that came out before digicam. I will do some Google on the metering issue. Thanks a lot.

John

Hi,

Think no electronic lah ....really old antique lense that came out before digicam. I will do some Google on the metering issue. Thanks a lot.

John

It just means you'll be shooting in manual mode then.

Metering still works. Use it in Av mode and camera will set the shutter speed based on how much light is coming through. Manual focus is slightly different than on a manual SLR, the focusing screen in dslrs only see dof up to f2.8, anything faster than f2.8 will look the same through the viewfinder whether in terms of brightness of dof. But since your lens is an f2,8 you should be fine in this area.

What mount is your CZ? You can get adapters for leica R, M42 or nikon F to EF mount.

Metering still works. Use it in Av mode and camera will set the shutter speed based on how much light is coming through. Manual focus is slightly different than on a manual SLR, the focusing screen in dslrs only see dof up to f2.8, anything faster than f2.8 will look the same through the viewfinder whether in terms of brightness of dof. But since your lens is an f2,8 you should be fine in this area.

What mount is your CZ? You can get adapters for leica R, M42 or nikon F to EF mount.

I thought he said no electrical contacts? No aperture info will be transferred.

Hi ,

I have a old Carl Zeiss2.8/28 Distagon 50mm lense which I used 15 years ago and stored in dry cabinet. Anyone know whether I can fix this lense in the Canon 50D. If can, what are the shortfall that I need to compensate for them to work together.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
John E

Your Carl Zeiss 2.8/28 Distagon is a 28mm wide angle lens and not a 50mm.It's a very good
lens made in Germany.

I thought he said no electrical contacts? No aperture info will be transferred.

You don't need aperture info to be transferred. The amount of light coming through is directly affected by the aperture setting on the lens. A bit hard to explain, you will understand if you have used manual lenses on dslrs before.

i think what Headshotzx meant was to use a light meter with manual focus and a converter to mount the lens to 50D. there's also one thing you need, i.e. the focusing screen.
the original cam relies the contacts on the lens for focus confirmation and focusing. on the manual lens, there isn't any and the screen on the camera is also not designed for manual lens. so you'll need a split screen or similar to focus. otherwise the drop out rate is very high.

Thanks, sounds very technical for a newbie like me. I think I would learn what I have first and meddle with it when I progress along.

Thanks.

Cheers,
John

Thanks, sounds very technical for a newbie like me. I think I would learn what I have first and meddle with it when I progress along.

Thanks.

Cheers,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.