Filters


Status
Not open for further replies.

dotti

New Member
Jun 21, 2004
294
0
0
36
strawberry field
#1
Other than the UV filter...which filter would you recommend?

oh and do all filters come in 72mm? :dunno:

*edit* oh i'm using a digital camera la..just in case it matters..heh.. :sweat:
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#2
dotti said:
Other than the UV filter...which filter would you recommend?

oh and do all filters come in 72mm? :dunno:

*edit* oh i'm using a digital camera la..just in case it matters..heh.. :sweat:
there are many filters u can use
eg:
- polariser filters to cut off glare from water and other shiny surfaces
- neutral density filters to block a certain amount of light so that you can slow down the shutter speed or increase the aperture
- skylight filter to give warmer colours
- etc etc etc...

best is to figure out what you want to do then try and find a suitable filter. or learn from the experts (that's what I usually do).

filters come in various diameters depending on your barrel thread (52mm, 58mm, 67mm etc).
 

dotti

New Member
Jun 21, 2004
294
0
0
36
strawberry field
#3
deepblue2 said:
there are many filters u can use
eg:
- polariser filters to cut off glare from water and other shiny surfaces
- neutral density filters to block a certain amount of light so that you can slow down the shutter speed or increase the aperture
- skylight filter to give warmer colours
- etc etc etc...

best is to figure out what you want to do then try and find a suitable filter. or learn from the experts (that's what I usually do).

filters come in various diameters depending on your barrel thread (52mm, 58mm, 67mm etc).
ooo..ok...i though filters are used for fun... :sweat:
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#4
well.. filters can be used to get different effects. so in essence in can be fun. but serious photographers use filters to get certain results.

take a look at the prices of the filters and you will realise it isn't really 'fun'.. :)
 

dotti

New Member
Jun 21, 2004
294
0
0
36
strawberry field
#5
deepblue2 said:
well.. filters can be used to get different effects. so in essence in can be fun. but serious photographers use filters to get certain results.

take a look at the prices of the filters and you will realise it isn't really 'fun'.. :)

:sweat: :bsmilie:
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
#6
paiseh... can i butt in and ask a question?
I'm thinking of getting some filters also, for my D70 with kit lens and a sigma 70-300 APOsupermacroII.
Would like some recommendations on which ones, where to get and at what price? Circular polarizer, graduating ND and something for infrared effect.
 

deepblue2

New Member
Jul 18, 2003
109
0
0
38
Visit site
#7
benedium said:
paiseh... can i butt in and ask a question?
I'm thinking of getting some filters also, for my D70 with kit lens and a sigma 70-300 APOsupermacroII.
Would like some recommendations on which ones, where to get and at what price? Circular polarizer, graduating ND and something for infrared effect.
that's a little out of my league. maybe you would want to read up on the different types of filters first and see what you would need to start off.

the basic ones would be UV, neutral density and polariser filters. Read up on what they can do and decide if you need them.

as for pricing, well you can scout around the more popular shops (alan photo, cathay photo, etc) and try and get the best prices. hoya brand is the generally acceptable in terms of price/performance. there are higher end ones like the B&W.
 

#9
If you have Photoshop or something similar, some of the effects you get with something like a Polarizer or ND filter can't (to my knowledge) be added in Photoshop, so its best to have those. The fun filters 'fog, contrast, color correction' can usually be done in Photoshop.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom