Filters... what do you use and what are recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrogmanFreak

May 9, 2008
United Kingdom
Hello all,

ive just acquired the Hoya Pro 1 UV filter 77mm. super quality, ultra thin and so on. i would say really worth it and the photos although at a glance do not look much difference, some shots do really have a slightly better colour capture.

I am planning to purchase some more filters. Read up about Polarising (we all know these), ND Grad Filters, Singh Ray Filters, IR Filters etc etc.

I have no particular area of interest yet, just want to try around....

what do you guys use? and what you recommend getting for my next one?
IM using Nikon lenses, usually on 77mm thread except my 10.5 and 50mm.

Recommendations and advice would be appreciated!

Nice. How much did you get the Hoya filter?

The best choice would be the 77mm cpl I guess. Hoya / B&W. CPLs can be used anywhere (as long as lighting permits), whereas GND / ND filters should be used mainly for dragging the shutter speed (ie waterfalls, mainly landscapes and/or creative (artistic) pictures)

Hello all,

ive just acquired the Hoya Pro 1 UV filter 77mm. super quality, ultra thin and so on. i would say really worth it and the photos although at a glance do not look much difference, some shots do really have a slightly better colour capture.

I am planning to purchase some more filters. Read up about Polarising (we all know these), ND Grad Filters, Singh Ray Filters, IR Filters etc etc.

I have no particular area of interest yet, just want to try around....

what do you guys use? and what you recommend getting for my next one?
IM using Nikon lenses, usually on 77mm thread except my 10.5 and 50mm.

Recommendations and advice would be appreciated!

I also used to use the Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters before upgrading to B+W. Though it's more expensive ($116 for the 77mm UV Haze MRC) but the quality is superb and very easy to clean too.

Is it advisable to place the CPL in front of the UV filter? or UV in front then CPL (meaning turn the CPL with the UV).

or just CPL and no need UV?

I got my Pro 1 UV Filters at about Sg$100 each siah.
anyone knows how much Cathay or others retail?

Is it advisable to place the CPL in front of the UV filter? or UV in front then CPL (meaning turn the CPL with the UV).

Why would u want to do that? If u want to use CPL, remove the UV and vice-versa. Remember more glass degrades pic quality even more.

yes, more glass, less light, less quality.

any website online where i can purchase filters?

what other filters do u guys recommend?

A Grad Neutral Density filter would be useful but do not get the one with screw threads that do not allow free placement along the length

Ryan

Anyone knows what is the difference between a UV and UV(Coated) filter ?

yes, more glass, less light, less quality.

what other filters do u guys recommend?

U may want to check the official websites of filter manufacturers for more details.

For me, the most common ones are UV (standard) and CPL.

Anyone knows what is the difference between a UV and UV(Coated) filter ?

A standard UV (if i'm no wrong) only has a single layer of coating to filter off UV rays from the sun. The coated one has extra coating to reduce flares. There's also HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) and SHMC (Super Hoya Multi Coated) which has 3 extra layers of coating in addition to HMC to give the best results.

You can try checking out the local camera shops here as well. They carry quite a range.
Online for more product details and a rough gauge on how much more the local shops are charging ;p if u dun mind paying for the convenience

Ryan

like the guys mentioned, not advisable to stack. it'll cause vignetting also. BUT if you really die die got to stack, then cpl will be the outer most filter.

I also used to use the Hoya Pro 1 Digital filters before upgrading to B+W. Though it's more expensive ($116 for the 77mm UV Haze MRC) but the quality is superb and very easy to clean too.

bro, my heart is with you. use a B+W and never look back.

thanks everyone.

im keen to get a graduated filter. can someone advice on what colours are safe or what numbers to get?

i think the round ones are better than the square cokin ones? any comments?

probably the placebo effect. from what i understand uv filters are only applicable for color correction when you are at high altitudes. if you shot them in singapore, mount faber does not count as "high altitude"

anyways, something interesting for all to read:
link

look at the rankings. :bsmilie:

The best choice would be the 77mm cpl I guess. Hoya / B&W. CPLs can be used anywhere (as long as lighting permits), whereas GND / ND filters should be used mainly for dragging the shutter speed (ie waterfalls, mainly landscapes and/or creative (artistic) pictures)

:bigeyes::bigeyes:

why would you want to use a cpl ANYWHERE?

A Grad Neutral Density filter would be useful but do not get the one with screw threads that do not allow free placement along the length

Ryan

thanks everyone.

im keen to get a graduated filter. can someone advice on what colours are safe or what numbers to get?

i think the round ones are better than the square cokin ones? any comments?

i think giantcanopy already answered this before you asked it. please read.

"the ones with screw threads do not allow free placement along the length"

and best to get the neutral type. want funky colors, process in photoshop have more control.

i think giantcanopy already answered this before you asked it. please read.

"the ones with screw threads do not allow free placement along the length"

and best to get the neutral type. want funky colors, process in photoshop have more control.

Do anyone know of any good write ups on the different kind of filters and its uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.