Filters on or off??

dorje87

Aug 3, 2010
khatib
Hi fellow CSers,

I am new to photography and i am currently using a nikon D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm VR. Basic lenses to start with. I have discovered that somehow my pictures seem a little whitish hazy fuzzy to me:cry:. I tried different settings, engaging help from fellow photog enthusiasts etc but to no avail:dunno:. Suddenly it struck me that it might have been the filter that caused this problem. Unfortunately i am still a greenhorn so i am not experienced enough to tell if its really caused by the filter. Hence i would like to know if anyone out there has got the same thought as i am. Thanks.

by the way, my lenses itself and the filters are cleaned thoroughly so dust and prints are not the culprit. So, does clear filters affect the pics in my case? Do filters cause less sharp pictures? Do let me know your opinions!

Cheers!

My 18-55mm has the $12 Vitacon UV filter while my 55-200mm has the Hoya UV filter. Please advise!!!! =((((

Hmm doesn't it make perfect sense to take out your filter and check thr photos after that?

I'm a starter myself. When I bought my pentax k-x slrr recommended me Hoya hmc uv filter for protection

Which lens produce the little whitish hazy fuzzy things?

agreed. Just take off the filter. Take a photo and compare the quality. Then you will know if the filter is causing the problem.

Hmm doesn't it make perfect sense to take out your filter and check thr photos after that?

I'm a starter myself. When I bought my pentax k-x slrr recommended me Hoya hmc uv filter for protection

Both gave the white fuzzy layer on the pics. i did try taking photos without the filters but i'm still not sure that the filters are the main cause. afterall having the filters on the lenses does give a protection barrier to the lenses thats why i'm hesitant in doing away with the filters all together...

If photos without the filters are better, then obviously the problem lies with the filters...

No need to ask, just take two photo with the same setting one after the other. One with the filter and one without. You will have the answer...

Both gave the white fuzzy layer on the pics.

Are you referring to images straight out from camera without any post processing?

by the way, my lenses itself and the filters are cleaned thoroughly so dust and prints are not the culprit. So, does clear filters affect the pics in my case? Do filters cause less sharp pictures? Do let me know your opinions!

Cheers!

Hmmm... Two different lenses, two different filters, same result. It's probably caused by the camera. Pls put up a picture with settings and exposure so we can determine the cause. :think:

Either something's really not right, or it could be global flare.

Still, post up a photo so we could all see what's the probably cause could be.

Best. :)

better post ur image here, the one with and without the filter and write down the settings use to take the shot, dun forget to set it on the same settings, also whitetish blurr and fussy might be because u're trying to hanheld ur camera on very low shutter speed with overexposured or flare(mose basic kit is prone to flares) settings

PS: if it's because of mild flare u can use DPP to remove it

Last edited:
I had a somewhat similar problem... I used to clean my filter vigourously and zealously, and I suspect that the fuzziness I get when shooting with the filter on is due to microscopic scratches that diffuse the light entering the lens. After replacing it with a Hoya filter I don't clean it unless there are smudges, and only with lens tissues, after blowing away the dust. Not much problems ever since.

Both gave the white fuzzy layer on the pics. i did try taking photos without the filters but i'm still not sure that the filters are the main cause. afterall having the filters on the lenses does give a protection barrier to the lenses thats why i'm hesitant in doing away with the filters all together...
How about replacing el cheapo crappy filters with a bit of care and alertness, and maybe a lens hood? Vitacon is crap, safe to trash. Don't get fooled by this scary talk of sales man about ehat could happen to your lens blalbla. Be careful with your equipment. Lenses have been designed and built to work without filters. You can't improve anything with putting a piece of (cheap) glass in front that was not there during design. But you can introduce flare, ghosting and other funky side effects.

How about replacing el cheapo crappy filters with a bit of care and alertness, and maybe a lens hood? Vitacon is crap, safe to trash. Don't get fooled by this scary talk of sales man about ehat could happen to your lens blalbla. Be careful with your equipment. Lenses have been designed and built to work without filters. You can't improve anything with putting a piece of (cheap) glass in front that was not there during design. But you can introduce flare, ghosting and other funky side effects.

agreed!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

To TS, trash that Vitacon and get a lens hood (not those cheapo rubber ones), and use your camera with care (I'm doing that too), afterall, we do take care of our gears right? :D
If you are still concern, then get a better uv filter, hoya pro1d uv(0) and above, or b+w.

Hi, Yip, try other filters at shops before buying.

post two photos to show, one with filter one without, we also want to know how the way you shoot, it may be the cause also.

Hi guys, Thanks for all your help. As suggested, i have posted 2 photos. the top one is taken with filter, and the bottom one taken without. Both photos were taken with the following settings: Shutter 1/15, f5.6, ISO 1600, AF area mode, AF-A, WB auto, D-lighting auto. thanks peeps! appreciate all your advises!

Pls help!