filters - hoya, kenko, tokina...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skopio

Nov 26, 2006
hello all,

AFAIK, all these 3 filters are made by the same company right? how come the price so different?

this one u have to ask the marketing dept liaoz....

and its usually the agreement between these companies for the pricing...just like nikon and fujifilm

it is the quality of the glass. under manufacturing, the quality always varies. the best quality they would name it Hoya and sell it the highest. same as semiconductor chips, the best region on the wafer with least failures would be used to make the faster chips and the worst would be to make slower chips.

it is the quality of the glass. under manufacturing, the quality always varies. the best quality they would name it Hoya and sell it the highest. same as semiconductor chips, the best region on the wafer with least failures would be used to make the faster chips and the worst would be to make slower chips.

I am not sure but I understand that Kenko and not Hoya is sold in Japan. I don't think the Japanese would settle for second best. I have a Kenko Pro-1 CPL Wide and honestly, I can't tell it apart from the Hoya one. If you are looking for Japanese filters, my view is that the best ones are from Marumi (DHG series), which are probably as good if not also better than the B+W. Just my view.

i dont remember seeing any hoya filters sold in japan. all that ive seen are Kenko. i have a Pro 1 digital and to my eyes, its on par with the HMC super.

time to buy kenko??? hahaha. why buy hoya then??? :dunno:

Errr...,

Remember guys: "You pay peanut, you will get monkey" ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

I If you are looking for Japanese filters, my view is that the best ones are from Marumi (DHG series), which are probably as good if not also better than the B+W. Just my view.

Yah, I agree with you, Marumi :thumbsup: but its not that easy to get hold of Marumi filters in Singapore.
All my Marumi Filters are bought in Japan while working there in the past, now back in Singapore, no chance liao....:( unless return to Japan on holiday) Can anyone shed some light where in Singapore has stocks of wide range of Marumi filters?

ex leh.. i student leh..

what kind of filter are you getting?? UV or NC or CPL??

77mm UV($105) and NC:)dunno: ) are not that ex...its about one to weeks worth of grass at most one mth for student...

Yah, I agree with you, Marumi :thumbsup: but its not that easy to get hold of Marumi filters in Singapore.
All my Marumi Filters are bought in Japan while working there in the past, now back in Singapore, no chance liao....:( unless return to Japan on holiday) Can anyone shed some light where in Singapore has stocks of wide range of Marumi filters?

why would you say marumi is the best? i havent had any experience with them and so would like to know more. :)

used to owned a marumi CPL (55mm) and is MC as compared to Hoya n tokina w/o MC. price..$30.

I work in Taipei but travel back every month. I have been checking the stores here and the prices of practically all lenses and filters are cheaper compared to Singapore, some by a relatively large margin. Besides, the range of products here is far more complete. If you are interested in checking out any Marumi filters, please let me know. I have compared the DHG CPL to another Hoya Pro-1 slim CPL I bought earlier and it is even thinner and smudges come off easier as well.

Errr...,

Remember guys: "You pay peanut, you will get monkey" ;) .

Regards,
Arto.

Errr...in Spore, we pay $millions, we still get monkeys leh

why would you say marumi is the best? i havent had any experience with them and so would like to know more. :)

If you have a chance to handle the DHG filters from Marumi, I believe you will concur. They are super thin, in fact the thinnest I have ever seen and the quality is absolutely top notch. By the way, DHG stands for Digital High Grade.

what kind of filter are you getting?? UV or NC or CPL??

77mm UV($105) and NC:)dunno: ) are not that ex...its about one to weeks worth of grass at most one mth for student...

yea i can afford to eat 3 wks of grass.. but gf cant possibly eat grass as well rite?
plus im not those super spoilt brats who come from rich family, so im not exactly funded..

If you have a chance to handle the DHG filters from Marumi, I believe you will concur. They are super thin, in fact the thinnest I have ever seen and the quality is absolutely top notch. By the way, DHG stands for Digital High Grade.

where to get in singapore? :dunno:

whats the rough price range for dhg series?

i have a couple of spare 72mm Marumi DHG UV and PL filters with me, bought em from my recent Japan trip, and i concur that its by far the thinnest filters i've seen and my images somehow has less vignetting as compared to the Tokina filters i've used previously...

Thanks for answering Isaiahforthythirtyone's question. Cheers

By the way, mind if you can tell me what's the price of the 67mm & 77mm DHG CPL in Taiwan ? Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.