Filters for KX kit lens DAL 18-55 & 55-300

jason1980

Jul 6, 2010
Any recommendations for the above lens?
What type of filters should i look for? polarized? multi coated?
Are filters universal fit? thinking of getting from amazon if its cheaper.
Will my kit lens cap work after installation of the filters?

Any recommendations for the above lens?
What type of filters should i look for? polarized? multi coated?
Are filters universal fit? thinking of getting from amazon if its cheaper.
Will my kit lens cap work after installation of the filters?

for what? protection?

or u're looking to achieve certain effects?

There are cheap filters ranging from $10 to even the expensive ones over Hundres. The expensive ones are generally the better UV filter, which don't degrade your image quality much unlike the cheap filters.
You should look for UV filter for general use on your lens, they serves as a protection for your lens. I don't use them though, had some flares issue in the past, i find them unnecessary, a lens hood is good enough to protect your lens
Filters are not universal fit, they have different thread sizes.
Your lens cap should be able to work after installation of filters, don't worry.

To learn more about filter, you can click on the wiki link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

There are cheap filters ranging from $10 to even the expensive ones over Hundres. The expensive ones are generally the better UV filter, which don't degrade your image quality much unlike the cheap filters.
You should look for UV filter for general use on your lens, they serves as a protection for your lens. I don't use them though, had some flares issue in the past, i find them unnecessary, a lens hood is good enough to protect your lens
Filters are not universal fit, they have different thread sizes.
Your lens cap should be able to work after installation of filters, don't worry.

To learn more about filter, you can click on the wiki link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter

How much does lens hood usually cost?

Yeah, I bought a $10 filter and now it is lying around. Everytime, I took photos, I will remove the filter. :(

How much does lens hood usually cost?

Yeah, I bought a $10 filter and now it is lying around. Everytime, I took photos, I will remove the filter. :(

Hood is more recommended. in a hot sunny days you will want to wear a cap or your "hands" to block out the sun rays/flares. this allow you to see further and clearer. Thats the purpose of a hood. it also protect your lens from accidental knocks.

You can check out evil bay or local shop. 3rd party hoods can be had for just a couple of dollars to tens of dollars.

Last edited:
Well, i am actually looking for protection + Polarizing filters. My cousin recommended me b+w filters. was looking thru them on amazon.
Was on a holiday in japan last month and reflections from glass diaplays are quite annoying. Of cos, hopfully with the filter, it will not affect PQ.

Well, i am actually looking for protection + Polarizing filters. My cousin recommended me b+w filters. was looking thru them on amazon.
Was on a holiday in japan last month and reflections from glass diaplays are quite annoying. Of cos, hopfully with the filter, it will not affect PQ.

kit lens, i never saw the point of protecting with UV filters.better to get the lens hood. quite a few shops stocks the JJC lens hoods for the 18-55 and 55-300 that fits over the bayonet mount.

polarizing, i use hoya though i'm not so sure if it helps to achieve what u want.

i used to shoot fish and i thought that a polarizing filter would help to reduce glare from the fish-tank. felt that i got better results through careful placement of lights and cropping instead. didn't think that the filter helped much :dunno: or maybe i'm just doing it all wrong.

I am only short of a lens hood for my 18-55 mm kit lens.
Just bought 2 hoya UV Pro1 filter from MS color today.
$30 for the 52mm and $40 for the 58mm. Checked the pricelist but the list was last updated in 09.
Guess the price went up.

I am only short of a lens hood for my 18-55 mm kit lens.
Just bought 2 hoya UV Pro1 filter from MS color today.
$30 for the 52mm and $40 for the 58mm. Checked the pricelist but the list was last updated in 09.
Guess the price went up.

Artworkfoto at Midlink Plaza has the hood for the kit lens for $16