filters for digital compacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloyteo

Sep 14, 2005
aloyteo.multiply.com
hi,

i own a canon powershot a80 camera and i'm thinking of getting a UV filter. but after reading all the negative comments here about UV filters (like poor image quality and unwanted hues), i'm a bit aprehensive cos i'm planning to get a hoya hmc UV filter and hoya is supposed to make lousy filters. btw how much does the hoya hmc UV filter cost, should i get it? also i heard that modern lens of digital cameras are able to eliminate most of the UV light. then in this case is a CPL a better option or will it degrade image quality too?

also, whats the use of close up filter? the macro mode on my powershot allow me to focus to as close as 5cm, does the close up filter allow me to focus even closer?

aloyteo said:
hi,

i own a canon powershot a80 camera and i'm thinking of getting a UV filter. but after reading all the negative comments here about UV filters (like poor image quality and unwanted hues), i'm a bit aprehensive cos i'm planning to get a hoya hmc UV filter and hoya is supposed to make lousy filters. btw how much does the hoya hmc UV filter cost, should i get it? also i heard that modern lens of digital cameras are able to eliminate most of the UV light. then in this case is a CPL a better option or will it degrade image quality too?

also, whats the use of close up filter? the macro mode on my powershot allow me to focus to as close as 5cm, does the close up filter allow me to focus even closer?

1) you dont need a filter for A80. first of all, if u want to put a filter, u must buy an adapter IIRC.

2) Hoya doesnt make lousy filters. there are many hoya users here who are very satisfied with their filters.

3) CPL means u lose 2 stops of light. not sure how u can use it with A80.

4) close up filter means u can get an even larger magnification of ur object.

yup :)

are hoya close up lens good? do they reduce the depth of view, creating a blurred background which is what i want, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.