Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermie

Jan 25, 2006
SINJON
  1. What is the purpose of a filter ?
  2. When do you use a filter ?
  3. Why do you use a filter ?
  4. What is the estimated cost of a filter ?

Eg :
  • if you shoot landscape, what kind of filters do you use ?
  • if you shoot people, what kind of filters do you use ?

Thank You !!

Hi,

Firstly, welcome to ClubSnap.

The use of filters actually varies with the situation and the effects you want to achieve. There are various filters for you to choose. Do read up via the net or go to a library on detailed information. Here are some for your reference.

UV Filters - Absorbs ultraviolet rays. Gives cleaner, sharper pictures with less haze. It is recommended to leave a UV filter on your camera lens at all times to protect the lens from dust, moisture, scratches, and breakage.

Sky Filters - Reduces blush tones in outdoor shots. Keeps skin tones natural and free of reflection from nearby objects. Also serves as a permanent lens protector.

Circular Polarizer and Moose Filters - Essential for outdoor photography; deepens intensity of blue skies; reduces or eliminates glare. Circular Polarizing filters are used on auto focus cameras.

Linear Polarizer Filters and Linear Focus - Used on non-auto focus cameras.

Neutral Density Filters - Reduces the amount of light without affecting the color. Eliminates overly bright, washed out images. Great for video.

HOYA HMC Ultra Thin Filters - High end filters designed to avoid vignetting problems which occur with wide angle lenses.

Cross Screen, Soft Screen, Star 6, and Star 8 - Creates a star in the picture where this is bright light. Ideal for photographs of ladies wearing jewelry or other objects with strong reflections.

Close-up - For close-up photography.

Split Field Filters - One-half of the picture receives a close-up effect while the other half is normal.

Special Effect, MultiVision, and Mirage Filters - For special effect photography.

Misty Spot Filters: Breeze, Halo, Windmill, and Gradual Filters - They have a sharp central image with a pleasant blurring of the outer field. For special effect photography.

Center Spot, Soft Spot, and Color Spot Filters - The center has a clear spot, while the outside can be used as a portrait filter or color.

Softener Filters - Gives a soft gradation image, with focal point somewhat retained.

Infrared (IR) Pass Filters - For infrared photography and the popular Sony X-ray effect.

Intensifier Filters - Intensifies and enhances colors.

Portrait, Duto, Diffusion, Spot Diffuser Filters - Diffusion filters give an overall soft focus effect. Can be used to create the romantic and mysterious effects.

Fog A & B Filters - Fog filters give an overall soft focus effect. Fog filters can be used as a portrait filter or to create the romantic and mysterious effect of fog in any scene.

Colored, Vario PL, Fantasy, and Tri Color Filters - Tone correction; improves contrast. Ideal for landscapes.

Half Colored and Gradual Color Filters - Half of the filter colored and half clear.

FL-W, FL-B, FL-D and Special Fluorescent Filters - Used to correct the greenish tone that appears when fluorescent lighting is present.

80A, 80B, and 80C Filters - These filters are for color photography in artificial light.

81A, 81B, and 81C Filters - Filters used to create a warming effect (reduces blues, increases reds).

82A, 82B, and 82C Filters - Filters used to create a cooling effect (reduces reds, increases blues).

85A, 85B, and 85C Filters - Filters used to create a warming effect (reduces blues, increases reds). These are more powerful than the 81 series.

Hope this long list helps. ;)

1. What is the purpose of a filter ?
  2. When do you use a filter ?
  3. Why do you use a filter ?
  4. What is the estimated cost of a filter ?

Eg :
  • if you shoot landscape, what kind of filters do you use ?
  • if you shoot people, what kind of filters do you use ?

Thank You !!
Why why why ??

I only use 2 kind of filters. UV filter and Circular-Polarizer (C-PL). UV filter just for front element protection, I use B+W UV MRC filter for all my lenses. C-PL filter when want to reduce/remove reflection.

Regards,
Arto.

Why why why ??

I only use 2 kind of filters. UV filter and Circular-Polarizer (C-PL). UV filter just for front element protection, I use B+W UV MRC filter for all my lenses. C-PL filter when want to reduce/remove reflection.

Regards,
Arto.

Master Arto, i read on the book that C-PL works on stray light and it will not have any effect on shiny metal surface... Is tat true?? Doe tat also means tat C-PL will not work for motorshow?? How bout ND filter?? Will it reduce the glare from the Shiny car??

Master Arto, i read on the book that C-PL works on stray light and it will not have any effect on shiny metal surface... Is tat true?? Doe tat also means tat C-PL will not work for motorshow?? How bout ND filter?? Will it reduce the glare from the Shiny car??
On certain degree, the C-PL can remove reflection on glass surface. C-PL have no effect on reflection on something like mirror (ie.: metal surface).

If you use ND filter, it will reduce amount of light entering your lens. Different with Polarizer filter which is remove only polarized light.

More reading about filter (and polarizer filter):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(photography)

NB: I am not a master, still learning new things everyday :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

can any filter (given the right dimensions) fit any lens with the same dimension?
i.e 55mm filter fit a 55mm lens?

or do we have to get a certain brand of filter for a certain brand of camera lens? haha

noob lookin for ans... =)

can any filter (given the right dimensions) fit any lens with the same dimension?
i.e 55mm filter fit a 55mm lens?

or do we have to get a certain brand of filter for a certain brand of camera lens? haha

noob lookin for ans... =)
no need specific brand.

can i ask roughly how much does a UV filter cost?

Regards,
Arto.

hi, i saw from this price list (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716) that the B+W 67mm MRC UV-Haze is selling for $78 (is that the same one that you are using?)... But other UV filters (such as Tokina) costs only $15-$20... is there really just a big difference between these UV lenses?? I am thinking of getting the Nikon D80 and is now looking around for filters.. a noob here... thanks for any advice you can give me!

hi, i saw from this price list (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=263716) that the B+W 67mm MRC UV-Haze is selling for $78 (is that the same one that you are using?)... But other UV filters (such as Tokina) costs only $15-$20... is there really just a big difference between these UV lenses?? I am thinking of getting the Nikon D80 and is now looking around for filters.. a noob here... thanks for any advice you can give me!

go for what u can afford... the main idea behind filters is u get what u pay for... while for most purposes any brand will do.... the more expensive filters usually work better, and last longer... high end filters have better coatings to create a better image quality when light passes through... AND usually have multiple coatings so they don't wear off easily when u clean them.... many people say it's ok to have a cheap pieve of UV filter since it's just meant to protect the front element of the lens... but y buy an expensive lens if u're going to put a cheap piece of glass in front? :think: go figure..personally i use B+W too.. and some say nikon and hoya pro filters are also very good....

and if u really have the spare cash.... try the B+W Kaesemann filters... they're the best u'll ever get and they're weather resistent too.. but the price will make your jaws drop.. :bsmilie:

There are a differences in price because the quality of coating. The $15-$20 filter probably is only single coating.

Multi coatings are more expensive because they allow more light transmit than no coating or single coating (and little reflection). There are also multi coatings 2 layers, or 7 layers, on front side of the filter only, or on front and back side of the filter. Also quality of coating, like MRC on B+W is very smooth, result on easier to clean (from fingerprint, dust, etc) than Hoya HMC filter.

Also, the metal construction, B+W metal construction is sturdy.

Regards,
Arto.

Ask Google and there'll be plenty of answers. ;)

i've a very noob question, D80 kit lens is using wat filter size? Is it standard size for all nikon lens?

Glad you brought this question too, i'm new but didn't really notice anyway. Well d80 kit lens is 67mm. It should be engraved on the opposite side of the lens of where it states your focal length and f stop. the opp u should see some word n numbers the last one is a circle with a line cutting through as and then followed by '67'

hope that helps hehe

Glad you brought this question too, i'm new but didn't really notice anyway. Well d80 kit lens is 67mm. It should be engraved on the opposite side of the lens of where it states your focal length and f stop. the opp u should see some word n numbers the last one is a circle with a line cutting through as and then followed by '67'

hope that helps hehe

thanks for the info, will look at it when i reach home... ;)

Circular Polarizer and Moose Filters - Essential for outdoor photography; deepens intensity of blue skies; reduces or eliminates glare. Circular Polarizing filters are used on auto focus cameras.

What's the average price of a 52mm Circular Polarizer Filter? Is there any specific brands to get?

Neutral Density Filters - Reduces the amount of light without affecting the color. Eliminates overly bright, washed out images. Great for video.

Under what situation that I need to use a Neutral Density Filter for still pictures? Can you give some examples to illustrate this point?

Close-up - For close-up photography.

Is this also known as Macro lens? If not, what is the difference between a macro lens and a close up filter, and when do you use which one?

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.