Filters, branded and cheapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookee

Jan 23, 2003
North-East Singapore
Visit site
Hi, I'm wondering whether is there any noticable difference in using a cheap Hoya polarizer or UV comparing it to a B+W polarizer and UV?

The price difference is really big but I've never experience or hear anything about comparison of results from both filters side by side. The only difference I've hear of is that the B+W filters are heavier, better quality and easier to clean. :confused:

The B+W CIR-PL is a multicoated one compared to the Hoya. I do understand from mervlam that understanding how a polarizer works will greatly help in getting better results, but then comparing in terms of difference in quality, any comments on that?

:D
Originally posted by Cookee
Hi, I'm wondering whether is there any noticable difference in using a cheap Hoya polarizer or UV comparing it to a B+W polarizer and UV?

The price difference is really big but I've never experience or hear anything about comparison of results from both filters side by side. The only difference I've hear of is that the B+W filters are heavier, better quality and easier to clean. :confused:

The B+W CIR-PL is a multicoated one compared to the Hoya. I do understand from mervlam that understanding how a polarizer works will greatly help in getting better results, but then comparing in terms of difference in quality, any comments on that?
:DJust wondering aloud, "Tokina lens is reputed to hold its own weight against heavyweight's such as Canon and Nikon. Hoya made the glass for Tokina. Is'it the glass the critical factor in lens' performance? So can I said that Hoya filters are equally good as its closest competiters?"

I use B+W filters on all my pro Nikon lens, including the Tokina 28-70 ATX lens, and Tokina 20-35 f2.8's.

I think physicologically, it feels good to own and use the best of equipment that I can afford. I tend to believe that B+W filters are clearer and of higher quality than Hoya's though. But I think it's only a slight difference, which over the years, I thought I notice that.

But seriously, if money permits, go for B+W filters. Else Hoya may do as well.

Originally posted by ChinShiong
Hoya do make multi-coated polarizers btw...

I agreed. Hoya do make multi-coated poly'ser, UV filters etc. :)

Originally posted by e_liau
I think physicologically, it feels good to own and use the best of equipment that I can afford. I tend to believe that B+W filters are clearer and of higher quality than Hoya's though. But I think it's only a slight difference, which over the years, I thought I notice that. [/FONT]

Agreed on this point. I use both Hoya and B+W filters. I do notice a slight improvement in B+W Cir Poly filter over Hoya's. The former tends to be brighter, clearer and has less flare/glare problem etc. But unfortunately B+W is also much more expensive than Hoya's. Some of my friends can't see the optical difference.

I guess it's boils down to personal preferrance. If Tokina, Tamron, Sigma's lens etc are just as good as Nikon's and Canon's, then why do some people still insist on getting the Nikon's and Canon's?

If you take both filters and compare the reflections caused, there is a slight difference (very very slight only). B+W MRC has slightly less reflections than Hoya HMC. It boils down to whether you want to pay the premium for that little bit extra...

Got one B+W polarizer from Foto Guide at $95.00, CP got only 1 last piece left going for $114.00.

Now here's the dig... prices from CP@Peninsular Plaza for those who wanted...

55mm B+W MC PL - $114.00 $95@Foto Guide
55mm B+W UV FL - $44.00 $55@Foto Guide
55mm Hoya +4, +3, +1 Closeup filters all at $15.00 $20@AP

Anybody got any cheaper quote than the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.