Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheewooi

Mar 17, 2004
West
Hi,
Where can I get cheap filter around the town?
1. 62mm HOYA CPL filter
2. 62mm Multicoated Filter (HOYA or B+W or? Any recommendation?)

Any opinion on getting the above filter from these shop, which 1 is cheaper
1. Cathay Photo
2. Alan Photo
3. MS Color
4. Lords

Can also get Tokina 62mm CPL from CP at $25.

can get good prices at MS color

I suggest you don't look at CP, because for the Lumixes, a PL filter will do the exact same job thing for half the price. If I were you i'll stick with Hoya. As a ND filter, it's more neutral.

hmmm multicoated filter? UV filter? think a new one is only 20+ to 30+ for hoya HMC.

Got my Hoya 62mm UV filter from AP for $16

Unseen: Wat do you mean by for Lumixes a PL does the same job as a CP ? Thanks

Linear Polarizers (PL) and Circular Polarizers (CP) produces the same result.
the 1st generation of digi cams can't focus with PL on, must use CP. Newer cam dun need. CP = LP + 1 extra "layer" called the "quarter-wave retarder", and coz oc extra material CP will cause slightly more image degradation than PL filters.
Read the scientific babble at the link below.
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/photos/filters_uv_pol/#polq2

Anyone know how much 62mm Hoya HMC cost? Currently I have 72mm HOYA Coated UV Filter attached on my Phayee Adapter. I think of getting a normal 62mm multicoated filter and a Circular Polariser for my FZ20. AFAIK, B+W is more expensive than HOYA rite? Hoya HMC is cheaper than Super HMC? What about the quality of Tokina filter? Is it better than HOYA or B+W?

Tokina filters come from Hoya factories...

mervlam said:
Tokina filters come from Hoya factories...
Is there any quality difference between TOkina and HoYA since they produced from the same factories?

yah.. what brand filters to buy?

I'm looking for 55mm thread filters? Should I get the following:

1. LP filter
2. CP filter
3. UV filter
4 ND filter (if so, +2 or +4?)
5 Close-up filter (+2 or +4?)

hmm

hmmmmm nikon filters also come from hoya factories.
what brand? IMHO, it depends on how thick your wallet is:
thin: any cheap one will do the job. for a while.
moderate: hoya
slightly well off: give the extra $$ 2 me, get hoya?
well off: B+W (same reason people pay $100 for a CK underwear. :bsmilie: branded, supposed to be better, but I've only heard about it, never seen it. or used it.)

unseen said:
well off: B+W (same reason people pay $100 for a CK underwear. :bsmilie: branded, supposed to be better, but I've only heard about it, never seen it. or used it.)

Tokina one cheaper... almost half the price of hoya multi coated one... i think they are cheap because they are single coat... but then again... buy cheap one... scratch liao... change not so heart pain.

unseen said:

You sure? IIRC, Nikon produces their own glass and elements in their glassworks factory.

sinlg said:
yah.. what brand filters to buy?

I'm looking for 55mm thread filters? Should I get the following:

1. LP filter
2. CP filter
3. UV filter
4 ND filter (if so, +2 or +4?)
5 Close-up filter (+2 or +4?)

hmm

How much are the filters? This weekend maybe go shop for them.. any suggestions where to go shopping?

Just got a Hoya closeup +4 filter 55mm @ $18 (MS colour)
Hoya IR R72 filter 55mm @ $40 (MS colour)

Tried to take IR shots with my FZ5 but failed.. maybe it's just me.. :) Will try again..

ya... i read from somewhere that nikon actually got hoya to do their filter..
hmmm maybe it's a while back, but they showed photos of the 2 filters.. visually same in every aspect, except for the words..

unseen said:
ya... i read from somewhere that nikon actually got hoya to do their filter..
hmmm maybe it's a while back, but they showed photos of the 2 filters.. visually same in every aspect, except for the words..

Nikon got Hoya to do their filter? Hoya got Tokina (see their box, stated "made by Tokina" at the back bottom) to do their filter, so?

Better buy Tokina huh? ;)

haha yah yah.. just get a filter that suits your filter..
compare equipment won't help u get better... shooting will improve your skills..
muz improve till the time when u use a PnS camera also can take award winning photos.. think some pro did that b4. more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.