filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xan

Nov 11, 2003
well guys...i have been taking shots in B&W and is very interested in its filter that makes the pictures more impressive, well i heard from some ppl about orange filter or yellow/green filter...well any chance that anyone is using them and give some comment or advice on it? i mean like how you suppose to help you in yr pic and everyting.....i juz wanna know more...

Xan said:
well guys...i have been taking shots in B&W and is very interested in its filter that makes the pictures more impressive, well i heard from some ppl about orange filter or yellow/green filter...well any chance that anyone is using them and give some comment or advice on it? i mean like how you suppose to help you in yr pic and everyting.....i juz wanna know more...
From what I read, try orange first to get a more dramatic feel to the picture, use a red filter to darken the sky a lot... Actually, its better to read up about the colour theory stuff so you'll know which filters are good for the type of photography you do.

Regards,
Nick

The colour of the filter will lighten the same colour as well as darken the opposite colour.

e.g. using red filter will cause:

(1) red flower(grey in B/W photo) to become white flower

(2) the blue sky to darken. (so when the sky is overcast, using a red filter will not achieve the effect of darkening the sky)

However, this is just the basic.

yellow filter on sky will bring out more contrast in the cloud details if i am not wrong....tink i read it somewhere...

sorry for newbie question:

if use a blue filter on the sky, and let's say the pic also include some trees, then the trees' green colour has the blue overlay over it... how ?

thanks

if u put a blue filter, it will block out red light, orange light, yellow light from the visible spectrum

ie the trees green colour will not be affected by the blue filter so if its a dark green leaf, it will appear dark grey, if its a light green leaf, it will appear light grey. and the blue sky will appear the corresponding same shade in terms of grey

wonder if there is any web that i can get info on filters?? any good links to recommend?

erictan8888 said:
sorry for newbie question:

if use a blue filter on the sky, and let's say the pic also include some trees, then the trees' green colour has the blue overlay over it... how ?

thanks
Seldom people use blue filter for B/W, the result is low contrast images, Red (R25), Orange (G)& Yellow (K2), darken blue sky and green vegetation, from strong to mild.
Use Yellow green (XO) & green (X1) for portraits, will give you nice smooth skin tone.

Get a copy of Hoya filter catalogue to know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.