Filter Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericulf

Aug 28, 2009
Was wondering how many ppl uses filters for their shots (excluding uv).

how frequent do you all use the filter? since they serve as add on effects only.

was actually planning to get a magenta or polarizer but afraid that i'll under utilize them

magneta filters are usually only for film cameras, bnw photography.

or to correct WB. even if you really want to add a ghastly magenta cast to your photograph, you can do it in photoshop.

i have: gnd filters and nd filters, that's all i used. you will not be able to replicate those filters' effects in photoshop. ditto for polarizer.

For me i always carry an nd, gnd and a cpl with me. Pretty useful when it comes to doing landscape shoots if used properly. :thumbsup:

CPL ND GND is what i use for digital photography. If you like starlight effect,it is better to use a starlight filter too.

but how often do you all use it?

but how often do you all use it?

I think the question is will you ever use it? Even if used for once or twice to capture that most stunning shot I reckon it's worth it. Normally CPL, ND(2,4,8 stops) GND are used most often for that sunrise/sunset & high dynamic range situations but star filters & colorful filters are used once in a lifetime kind of thing, if you know what I mean:devil:

I think the question is will you ever use it? Even if used for once or twice to capture that most stunning shot I reckon it's worth it. Normally CPL, ND(2,4,8 stops) GND are used most often for that sunrise/sunset & high dynamic range situations but star filters & colorful filters are used once in a lifetime kind of thing, if you know what I mean:devil:
agree..find it quite a waste to spend the money just to take 1,2 shots...

is the difference between nd and gnd very big?

Difference? It is different thing so you cant really compare both side by side. They are for different purposes.

ND - cut down light as a whole. (more for shutter speed)
GND - is partial. (more for exposure)

Difference? It is different thing so you cant really compare both side by side. They are for different purposes.

ND - cut down light as a whole. (more for shutter speed)
GND - is partial. (more for exposure)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424066

saw this... -_- haha

for ND user, do you use 2,4 or 8?

Last edited:
Learning is not always free to begin with. You can search the website for samples if you just want to ask. Knowing is seeing it yourself, a different thing and lifelong memory.

Do you visit fast food chain like McDonalds? If yes, cut down the visits and you will have saved the sum to buy a CPL.

ND and GND are for different situation and you cannot use GND for all situation like ND. But I would suggest that you keep to CPL.

agree..find it quite a waste to spend the money just to take 1,2 shots...

is the difference between nd and gnd very big?

ND and GND are for different situation and you cannot use GND for all situation like ND. But I would suggest that you keep to CPL.

haha. filter photography isnt easy to learn. i assure u that.
i myself own a tianya filter kit, mainly because i'm still testing water.

and honestly how many times i used my filters? only at taiwan.
filter photography as said by many of the previous csers, is hard and isnt for everyday use. probably for a good sexy sunset, its worth it.

if u feel u dun mind spending 100 plus bucks (i'm a tianya so its tat cheap), then get it. and maybe if ur lucky u can get 1 or 2 nicer shots.

if u think its not worth it then dun. cause its really gonna be very underutilised.

my 2 cents.

i'll recommend u to do a bit of reading up on what is filter photography.

nd: usually used so that u can prolong exposure. usually when its during bright day light and u wanna have a running water feature to look blur.

gnd: usually used for sunsets. this helps to render the sky darker, so tat overall image details are preserved

Last edited:
Was wondering how many ppl uses filters for their shots (excluding uv).

how frequent do you all use the filter? since they serve as add on effects only.

was actually planning to get a magenta or polarizer but afraid that i'll under utilize them

Circular Polarizers - Hoya and B+W - Used a lot

ND Grads - usually carry 2,3,4 stops in both soft and hard gradients. Glass filters by Singh-Ray and the 4 stop are custom units. - Used as required.

Reverse ND Grads in 2, 3 stops. SinghRay - Used regularly

ND's (6) (Lee, UK) - Used regularly

Cross-screen (B+W) - Used regularly

R25, B, G, Y, O filters for b/w even on digital. - Regularly used.

Full set of Wrattens for LF film (techinical cameras) - used as needed.

I have another couple of hundred assorted special effects such as soft focus, 6 and 8 way starbursts, split colour etc etc by Hoya and Lee, these get used only as a client requires.

CPL only. Effects cannot be recovered in PP.

Cpl, ND and GNDs for me

ryan

neither can blown highlights, or motion blur be introduced properly in landscapes.

Understood. I meant to say I don't own GND or ND. I don't mean to say the effects achieved with GND and ND can be done in PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.