filter stuck on lens..

But yr 70-200 weather sealed leh, will be ok for normal lenses?

Did it on a Nikkor 18-55mm with a Hoya HMC too. The filter, being smaller, was a lot easier to grip compared than the 77mm B+W. Haha.

NB: Would think that any lens should be able to take the mild cold? Doesn't make sense if people living in winter countries or going to winter areas can only use weather-sealed lenses.

Last edited:
Did it on a Nikkor 18-55mm with a Hoya HMC too. The filter, being smaller, was a lot easier to grip compared than the 77mm B+W. Haha.

NB: Would think that any lens should be able to take the mild cold? Doesn't make sense if people living in winter countries or going to winter areas can only use weather-sealed lenses.

problem is not that.. problem is when a cold surfaces touches warm humid air.

and the lens is not mounted I presume. condensation can happen inside...

will work, but do not mount the lens and turn on the lens after the procedure.

problem is not that.. problem is when a cold surfaces touches warm humid air.

and the lens is not mounted I presume. condensation can happen inside...

will work, but do not mount the lens and turn on the lens after the procedure.

Point taken. TS can perhaps try separating the two objects with the ziploc still sealed? And let it acclimatize before opening the bag?

Else just use a filter wrench or something if this method seems too risky.

Worked for me though. Just sharing my experiences :)

sometimes the more force u apply, the harder it is to remove. try turning with little force see it works anot...

i once got stuck with a cpl and no matter how hard u try(even with rubber band) it doesnt move. then i was about to give up i turn it w/o force and poof, it just turned smoothly. the reason behind is because by applying large force the ring have more pressure around certain edges, turning lightly spread the force all around.

worth trying befoe using the freezing method i guess...

Use this

DSC00007-2.jpg

or this

DSC09072.jpg

Yup, i recently had this problem too... Your mouse pad's base is pretty good stuff usually, just stick it on a flat surface, press down firmly and turn. Should come off pretty easy.

earthboundlight only suggest and you did it.
Rest are forum contribution.

Well, I typed "anecdotal" for a reason. Just sharing what worked for me. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion on the various methods :)

Thanks everyone for the reply! I got it unstucked! Yay!

Many of you suggested exerting force, but my lens was a rather fragile lens, the 35mm. I felt it would break so i didn't really exert much force. And also it belonged to one of my close friend, and i will feel sorry if i were to break it. :(

I mentioned about putting ice, and it worked! the thing you must be careful not to let water drip into the lens itself. Since mine is a step-up ring, i can put ice on it and it won't affect the lens even if condensation takes place.

Thanks all!

Sorry i was busy the whole day and i often only get to use comp for leisure at night. I didn't see many of your posts. Thanks to all, especially those who took time and effort to post pictures and links!

Regarding those discussion about putting in freezer, yes its an extreme case.. Try not to put the whole lens in freezer, i guess that would be alright. :)

sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a 85mm F1.8D with a nikon nc 62mm filter stuck on it.

anyone with past experiences to share, i tried alot of methods including refridging it, but it just wont come off.

should I bring it to a camera shop? any recommendations for this kinda shop?

sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a 85mm F1.8D with a nikon nc 62mm filter stuck on it.

anyone with past experiences to share, i tried alot of methods including refridging it, but it just wont come off.

should I bring it to a camera shop? any recommendations for this kinda shop?

If you've tried all the above methods, bring to NSC. Nikkor lens and Nikon filter, they can't complain. ;)

Hmm, do anyone here have advice in preventing the filter from being stuck? My friend taught me that I should screw the filter all the way in, then unscrew it by 180degress (Half a circle). Any other methods??

Hmm, do anyone here have advice in preventing the filter from being stuck? My friend taught me that I should screw the filter all the way in, then unscrew it by 180degress (Half a circle). Any other methods??

er... what if the filter drops out... :dunno:

Screw on the filter all the way it, but do not use too much strength when it becomes tight.