Filter Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

whalaueh

Nov 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Hi all, i will like to get some new filters for my camera for marco photography or to take some photographs with special effects. First thing, of course i need a thread adapter for my camera. However they come in several sizes 37, 46, 49, 52. How do i go about choosing the 'correct' size of adapter for my cam? How does one size affect?
I came across this term 'vignetting' too, what does it mean? :dunno:
Need advise from seniors here at snapclub~
Thanks...

The size of the filter you choose will depend on what your lens or your filter adaptor. You user manual should clearly state the dia. of the thread and from there you get the correct filter to use. Alternatively, bring your camera down to the shop and ask the salesperson to get the correct filter for you.

Vignetting usually occurs with wide angle lenses. It happens usually when you stack filter infront of your lens or when using filters of normal thickness on extreme wide angle lenses. If vignetting happens, the corners of your images gets a dark shadowy effect. Sorry if this sounds vague, can't find a better way to explain.

whalaueh said:
Hi all, i will like to get some new filters for my camera for marco photography or to take some photographs with special effects. First thing, of course i need a thread adapter for my camera. However they come in several sizes 37, 46, 49, 52. How do i go about choosing the 'correct' size of adapter for my cam? How does one size affect?
I came across this term 'vignetting' too, what does it mean? :dunno:
Need advise from seniors here at snapclub~
Thanks...

From your profile, if u r using Coolpix 5400, i tink u need 77mm filters. Do correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe he's referring to the Bernie's adaptor? If so, just get a 52mm filter thread size, 52mms are easier to find then other sizes.

77 is a bit overkill for a DC.

i dont know what kind of conversion lens adapter your 5400 has, but it will specify a filter thread size anyway. :)

Thanks for replying guys ;)
anyway i got the information of thread adapters from this webby http://www.nextphoto.net/5400.htm

They have got several sizes of thread adapters for my nikon 5400. I was wondering which size should i buy. Wondering how sizes will affect, if not i will go for the most common 52mm ones (adviced by espn)

By the way, does cp or ap sell this kinda thread adapters? If not i gotta order it before i go overseas liao~ sigh...

My advice is that the sizes don't really matter, but personally prefer larger sized so that at least it's not that easy to get vignetting.

Yo, i think renegade was right... Checked with Cp and Ap.. There was only one adapter available for nikon 5400, the 77mm one... 3rd party not available yet, gotta wait, but not sure if when its coming :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.