Filter setup for landscape photography

lensk

Jul 12, 2012
Singapore
Hi guys,

I would like to get myself more involved in landscape photography and wanted to seek you guys for suggestion. As Im starting and would not want to spend too much on ex filters, can you guys suggest what is best? So after reading up, it seems like Coking nd grad p-series is good for me. May I know should I get original or oem one to fit onto the Haida nd? I am not sure if the original or oem goes well with the Haida nd filters which I going to get later. So if original or oem, where is the best place you guys buy from? Sorry that if this question was asked before.:)

Go to Manley at Chinatown. They got a lot cool filters for sale. Value for money.

Thks Fengwei! Will take a look what they have. :)

Are you referring to Haida or Tianya?

Personally, I moved from Tianya slot in filters to Haida screw type filters.
I am referring to the ND filters here.

Why stop using Tianya?
>> The colour cast was odd with ND filter (10stop, IIRC).
Magenta+Green cast that was really hard to balance off.

Why screw type?
>> back reflection from ND10 filter for the slot type, unless its properly covered (I think some better holders do that).
Else, its a time waster to do a DIY cover every shot to block off the refection leaking in from the side of the filter holder.

For the price, the Haida are hard to beat.
Very low and easily correctable colour cast, slim, well priced, comes nicely packaged.
I think the filters are well reviewed by some of the best landscape shooters here on CS.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265784&highlight=haida
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408012

Actually, dont really know how to pp in photoshop. So was thinking to get haida nd filter coupled with cokin grad filter. But not sure to get the Cokin oem (cheaper) or the original type? Or both cokin oem and original will have issues when coupled with haida nd filter??

If I may, perhaps you can consider looking at what you want the filters for first. Whether you want to smooth out water or narrow the exposure between the evening sky and foreground. Then based on this, look at what people are using.

Alternatively you can go without filters first, shoot a bit just to see what you are really missing out on. You may realise that what you want to shoot does not require filters at all. :)

For PP, most of the time it has to do with the colour cast left by using various brands of filters. The LEE big stopper leaves a blue colour cast which you can adjust via a slider in Lightroom. Other brands leave behind different colour casts which may or may not be easy to remove.